Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help for psu

Last response: in Components
Share
May 17, 2010 3:38:53 AM

you think the corsair 750tx is good for this or is overkilling my hardware or is ok with less voltage

PNY - NVIDIA GeForce XLR8 GTS 250 1GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card "only one graphic card"
Corsair - Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler
Western Digital - Caviar GP 500GB Internal Hard Drive and other one 1tb of memory
HP - 24x Internal Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive
asus p7p55d-e pro motherboard
Intel® - Core™ i7-860 Processor "doing overclock"
Corsair CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 RAM Module - 4 GB 2 x 2 GB - DDR3 SDRAM
Antec - Nine Hundred II Computer Case

im thinking to upgrade in the future so what you think what i should do

More about : psu

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 17, 2010 3:47:28 AM

Yes the 750tx is way overkill for your system for a single GTS 250 system and the other Hardware you have a 450 to 500 watt PSU would suit your needs fine. If you wanted to run SLI with that card then you would need a 550 to 600 watt unit.

Now if you want to get that PSU and have it so maybe a year or two down the road since that is a quality unit and will last a very long time that extra power would come in handy.

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V $79.99 after rebate and free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This unit would be perfect if you want to save a little and still have plenty of power to spare for future upgrades.

or

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W $59.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This unit would be more than enough power for your system.
Share
May 17, 2010 4:29:58 AM

Overkill for your system? Man buy the biggest psu that you can afford. Why would you want to limit yourself by hitting the "ceiling" in power output? Im not going to say go out and buy a kilowatt psu but get one that is of quality and power. I look at it like this, when you buy a hard drive your, always trying to get the most storage for the money, why not apply the same to your psu? If you run a psu with greater wattage headroom, your system will run cooler, your psu will run more efficient because its not working as hard, and youll have great all around overclocking potential and stability. If and I mean if you want to upgrade to fermi, your little 750watts would be killed.

I guess what im trying to say is know your upgrade path and buy a psu that you dont have to keep swapping out. People skimp in this area all the time just to save money and then always have to replace/swap anyways. Do it right the first time and I saves you money in the long run.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 17, 2010 4:35:06 AM

silky salamandr said:
Overkill for your system? Man buy the biggest psu that you can afford. Why would you want to limit yourself by hitting the "ceiling" in power output? Im not going to say go out and buy a kilowatt psu but get one that is of quality and power. I look at it like this, when you buy a hard drive your, always trying to get the most storage for the money, why not apply the same to your psu? If you run a psu with greater wattage headroom, your system will run cooler, your psu will run more efficient because its not working as hard, and youll have great all around overclocking potential and stability. If and I mean if you want to upgrade to fermi, your little 750watts would be killed.

I guess what im trying to say is know your upgrade path and buy a psu that you dont have to keep swapping out. People skimp in this area all the time just to save money and then always have to replace/swap anyways. Do it right the first time and I saves you money in the long run.

Well your mostly right except about PSU's efficiency power supplies run most efficient at around 50 to 70% load so the bigger the PSU and the less power it really needs when its idling the less efficient it is. But I do agree if you can afford the bigger PSU get so you will be able to upgrade later like I said in my first post but if money is tight you can run your system with a good bit lower wattage unit.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 4:57:07 AM

saaiello said:
Well your mostly right except about PSU's efficiency power supplies run most efficient at around 50 to 70% load so the bigger the PSU and the less power it really needs when its idling the less efficient it is. But I do agree if you can afford the bigger PSU get so you will be able to upgrade later like I said in my first post but if money is tight you can run your system with a good bit lower wattage unit.


Off topic but I was reading your sound card post and you hit it right on the head. Ive been in so many debates on other fourms about the very same thing. People swear up and down that a sound card makes no difference but they are so ignorant to a different world. I got my xfi fatal1ty an it sounds amazing! I usually game with my tritton ax pros but also have it hooked up to the logitech z 2300 thx joints. Battlefield Bad Company 2 sounds amazing! Its like night and day. Keep fightin the good fight and spread the word!
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 17, 2010 5:10:07 AM

silky salamandr said:
Off topic but I was reading your sound card post and you hit it right on the head. Ive been in so many debates on other fourms about the very same thing. People swear up and down that a sound card makes no difference but they are so ignorant to a different world. I got my xfi fatal1ty an it sounds amazing! I usually game with my tritton ax pros but also have it hooked up to the logitech z 2300 thx joints. Battlefield Bad Company 2 sounds amazing! Its like night and day. Keep fightin the good fight and spread the word!

Thanks man I try but so many people are still very much ignorant towards sound cards.

Sorry to the OP will try to stay on topic but you basically already got your answer just waiting to hear back from you.
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 9:01:24 AM

I'm in the same boat and cant decide on a PSU, I want the best I can afford but have set a budget of £100

I could get away with a 650W but I feel 750W will be better as per what silky salamandr says

Thing is, I also want Modular and good quality brand which makes it even more complicated

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 17, 2010 1:25:42 PM

Please remember yes most systems can get away with lower wattage units then most will think but if you can afford a little extra power its always good to go a little bigger than you need since you really dont want to run you PSU at its max all the time %60 to %75 is the sweet spot for efficiency.
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 4:50:53 AM

thanks i'm going with the 650tx thank you
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 3:46:19 PM

Best answer selected by kevonmalon.
m
0
l
!