Closed

Northbridge Temperature?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
November 2, 2010 6:42:08 PM

Hi All,

What should the NB temp be? My idles @ 62C, load @ ~75C (could be higher). It's a fresh build I just finished. Specs are below:

CPU: i7 930 (stock clock, not OC yet)
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth x58
Graphics: 2x XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT): Stock clock, in Crossfire mode.
RAM: Corsair 6GB DDR3 @ 1600, CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 (XMP: 7-8-7-20), triple channel
Cooler: Corsair H50, w/ push/pull (2x Enermax 120mm Twister Fan), Rad front mount at drive bay.
HDD1: 1TB, SATA III, 64MB, 7200 rpm (Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX)
HDD2: 2TB, SATA II, 64MB (Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS)
Blu-Ray: LG BH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner
PS: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W, 80 PLUS.
Case: HAF 932, w/ 2 added Enermax 120mm Twister Fan
OS: Win 7, 64-bits: (Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full)

Idle Temps (from Everest, Hardware Monitor, and Asus Probe II):
Mobo: 32C
NB: 62C
CPU: 29C
Core #1: 34C
Core #2: 30C
Core #3: 32C
Core #4: 30C

Load Temps (prime95 8hrs +):
Mobo: 35C
NB: 76C
CPU: 54C
Core #1: 66C
Core #2: 62C
Core #3: 64C
Core #4: 62C

As you can see the NB temperature is extremely high and I'm very concern that there might be something wrong with the heatsink (or ceramics coating). The Asus sabertooth suppose to have the new CeraM!X Technology to conduct the heat more effectively, but I don't think it's working. The NB would get around 75C even when gaming, not just under stress test. I play HL-2 for about 3 hrs (on very high setting), and the NB would already reach 75C. I panic and shut the game down because I didn't want to damage anything. I want the temperature to be right before OCing. Anyway other then the NB temp thing, the new rig is running great.

Could someone help me with this problem? Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciate it.

Thx.

More about : northbridge temperature

Best solution

a c 1178 V Motherboard
November 2, 2010 7:55:44 PM

That is a normal temp for a fan less north bridge, they get really hot. I would start worrying when it goes into the high 80´s. Borrowed from Intel
"Intel® X58 Express ChipsetThermal Specification
Parameter Value
Tcase_max 100 °C
Tcase_min 5 °C
Tcontrol 95 °C"
November 2, 2010 8:23:16 PM

Best answer selected by kole_743.
Score
Related resources
November 2, 2010 8:24:08 PM

rolli59 said:
That is a normal temp for a fan less north bridge, they get really hot. I would start worrying when it goes into the high 80´s. Borrowed from Intel
"Intel® X58 Express ChipsetThermal Specification
Parameter Value
Tcase_max 100 °C
Tcase_min 5 °C
Tcontrol 95 °C"

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that my new rig is normal.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 2, 2010 8:27:16 PM

Actually Tcase_max 105 °C
Score
November 2, 2010 8:39:51 PM

Ya I was wondering the same thing, my NB idles at mid 40c, and loads mid 50c
Score
November 2, 2010 8:46:52 PM

Simple11 said:
Ya I was wondering the same thing, my NB idles at mid 40c, and loads mid 50c

How did you get your temps so low? Did you use a 3rd party heatsink, with a fan or something? What case are you using?
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 2, 2010 8:47:25 PM

^ You're fine, and it depends upon your ambient and case airflow.
Score
November 9, 2010 11:25:52 PM

After doing some research, I found a solution to lower my NB temp. I figure I put the solution here in the event someone wants to lower their temp. Anyway there are no after market fan for this NB, but the good news is that it does come with a screw hole at the top of the heatsink. Here are the materials you'll need:

(need two) SilenX IXP-11-14 40mm Case Fan (they are a bit expensive, but worth it because of the 14 dBA):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(need one) M4-.7 x 30mm screw (yes that hole on the heatsink is metric, therefore don't get the #8-32 screw like I did. It will not fit. Also it seems that 30mm is the longest length most HW store have for that thread size)

Some Epoxy or superglue, 1 plastic tie, and 4 washers.

Instructions:
First glue the fans together, make sure the airflow face the same direction. Since there are no arrows indicating air flow direction for those fans. The air is blowing out of the side where the wires are located. This is important because you want air blowing into the heatsink, therefore have the wire side facing the heatsink when mounting.

After glue is dry, use plastic tie to tie the bottom 2 center holes together. Now here comes the most important part, use the screws that came with your fans as standoffs. Keep twisting the screw until you leave the length of 3 washers sticking out. You only need 3 stand offs (top left hole, top center left hole, and top right hole). The top right center hole will be for your metric screw. Now mount the fans to the heatsink, be sure to place 1 washer at the top side and 3 washers at the bottom side to match the standoff length. Don't over tighten, just enough the fans will stay in place. You should be able to see a gap between the heatsink and the fans because of the standoffs. That's important for airflow. Anyway here are results from my machine.

Without fans (NB temperature measure w/ hardware monitor and Asus probe II):
idle: 62 C
load: 77 C

With fans, but without standoffs (fans are flush against heatsink):
idle: 57 C
load: 70 C

With fans and standoffs:
idle: 51 C
load: 59 C

As you can see, the idle temp has dropped by 11 C, but the shocking part is the load temp dropped by a whooping 18 C. I guess that little gap allow hot air to escape from the top and sides, instead of being trap in the cavity form by the fan and heatsink. Also having standoffs to the fans eliminated any dead zones. So yes it's worth it to mount some fans with standoffs to the NB, besides it's really easy to do and it works. Remember, heat kills and the cooler you could run your chips, the longer they will last.

Hope this helps with people who owns a Sabertooth X58 mobo.
Score
a c 136 V Motherboard
November 10, 2010 12:13:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!