Vista 64 bit failure using vxd loader error 19 cd rom dvd drive

rcasteran

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I have vista 64 bit. I have 2 internal optical drives, a dvd reader and a dvd rw writer. Both worked fine for over 2 years. Both went down at the same time. In Device manager, Properties I get the the follow message: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19). When I explored System Information via Control Pannel, Peformance Info Tools, Advanced Tools, Components, Storage, Problem Devices: it says for both: failure using the vxd loader.

I checked for new drivers for both and windows says that both are current.

I uninstalled both, shut down the computer, restarted, and both drives were still showing in Device manager with yellow exclamation points like they did prior to trying to uninstall them.

Both are correctly identified as to type of device and model etc by pnp.

I don't know if this was releated, but the day I noticed both drives disappearing, meaning no D and E (my usb externals F and G) show up and work fine: I was trying to use a Qwest diagnostic utility (Quick Care) program to fix a dsl modem problem and it did attempt to fix a problem..it was unsucessful since the modem went bad, but perhaps the utility changed something it shouldn't have?

Either way I am unsure how to get these two drives working again. I saw on message that led to a link for a MS utility but was unsure it was for vista or was specfic to my problem, so I didn't use it.

rcasteran

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

I had a friend forward this link from Mincrosoft Answers:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/window-vista-code-19-failure-loading-using-the-vxd/f6a2baf6-7ede-44ef-8a12-1dba02006d33

Within that solution thread was the suggestion to delete something in the Registry, namely:
hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\class\4d36e965-e325-11ce-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318

left click this entry and remove either or both the upper and lower filter from the right pane then restart computer.

After I deleted the LowerFilter entry (there was no HighFilter entry) and I rebooted...both optical drives are now back and working correctly!