Sign in with
Your question

Fix name of My Documents under several user accounts

Last response: in Windows XP
November 13, 2012 12:04:55 AM

My Computer is set to display as a menu on the Start menu. The administrator account shows the My Documents folders for the two users as My Documents and [User]'s Documents. However, the user account shows the My Documents folders as My Documents and My Documents. How can I get the user account to show the two folders as My Documents and [Administrator]'s Documents? P.S: The names show correctly in the My Computer window, just not in the Start menu menu, and probably not in the explorer address bar, either, although I forgot to check that.
November 13, 2012 4:52:06 AM

h
You can rename any folder, shortcut or icon with any name you wish but te better way is to point the shortcut to the relevant folder in c:\documents and settings.\ then whichever account you want to see on the desktop.

m
l
November 13, 2012 4:53:39 PM

Well how do I rename this one? It's not on my desktop- it's in the My Computer menu in the Start Menu. (I have set My Computer in the Start menu to show as a menu instead of a link.)
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 5:12:21 PM

Right click the entry and you should see Rename in the list of options.

m
l
November 13, 2012 5:15:58 PM

Saga Lout said:

There's no option there to rename.
m
l
November 13, 2012 5:20:07 PM

Saga Lout said:

I'm not trying to argue with you, however, I don't think I should see that option in this case.
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:53:49 AM

It's not an argument - if it isn't there it isn't there! :D 

I can definitely do it in my menu but I don't have sub-menus as you do because I have the conventional Start Menu.

So, I've just changed my Properties to show My Computer as a menu and find I can rename everything except Control Panel and My Documents so it would seem that to change one of your entries, you need to go into C:\Documents and Settings and change the name of anything you wish to at that level.

m
l
November 14, 2012 5:56:07 AM

Quick thought - you might want to change the name of the My Documents folder in a particular Username to Fred Documents or Jill Documents to make it look different from all the other entries in your Desktop menu.

m
l
November 14, 2012 4:20:30 PM

The user's My Documents folder inside each user's folder in the documents and settings folder should still be named 'My Documents', so that's not the solution. WinXP has another way of changing how the names are displayed in the My Computer Start menu.
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:21:06 PM

caribou007 said:
The user's My Documents folder inside each user's folder in the documents and settings folder should still be named 'My Documents'

Strange - I just renamed three of mine.

m
l
November 14, 2012 5:34:48 PM

That's great, Saga. I think you'll find that you can rename many things, indeed.

I'd rather learn what the real problem is, and fix that instead.
m
l
November 14, 2012 5:36:00 PM

WinXP has another way of changing how the names are displayed in the My Computer Start menu. Is anyone here able to tell me what it is and how I can fix this issue?
m
l
November 16, 2012 5:07:11 PM

One last shot - right click one of the My Documents entries and go to Properties. Click on Sharing and change the Share name. Does that do what you want?

By the way - are you both the same poster - caribouu and caribou007?

m
l
November 19, 2012 5:53:15 PM

Quote:
delete the other account

What the ***? Is this really what this forum is about? Not a single person with real knowledge?
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:03:08 PM

caribouuu said:
What the ***? Is this really what this forum is about? Not a single person with real knowledge?

Ignore him (and his 6, at last count, personas). He's a complete idiot.

m
l
November 19, 2012 6:05:07 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Ignore him (and his 6, at last count, personas). He's a complete idiot.

Are you talking about him or me?
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:11:11 PM

caribouuu said:
Are you talking about him or me?

Him (leonardjames). He also posted here as 'charlesmacrye' (now banned and deleted)

I'm also curious as to how you have "My Documents" appearing on the local computer menu. There's no option in the menu properties to do that.
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:34:31 PM

I think he's set My Computer to display as a menu in Start menu Properties in which case it could show the My Documents folders of several Users. I've taken the problem to mean he can't discriminate but I seem to be in the category "not a single person with real knowledge"

m
l
November 19, 2012 6:56:41 PM

Saga Lout said:

I think he's set My Computer to display as a menu in Start menu Properties in which case it could show the My Documents folders of several Users. I've taken the problem to mean he can't discriminate but I seem to be in the category "not a single person with real knowledge"

That will only cause drives (mapped and local) to appear. Unless the various 'My Documents' have been shared and mapped they won't appear there. If that's the case then to rename them the shares must be renamed and the drives remapped.
m
l
November 19, 2012 7:10:16 PM

The "administrator" account's My Documents folder is not shared on a network. What I've done is allowed Read/Run security privileges for the "user" account in the folder's properties.
m
l
November 19, 2012 7:18:45 PM

It shows as ""Administrator"'s Documents" in the address bar and My Computer window, just not in the My Computer menu in the Start menu. However, when logged in with the "administrator" account, the "user" account's My Documents link in the My Computer menu in the Start menu DOES show as ""User"'s Documents".
m
l
November 19, 2012 7:21:11 PM

You need to post a screen shot of this menu. Out of the box the various "My Documents" directories do not appear on the computer submenu.
m
l
November 23, 2012 7:18:31 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
You need to post a screen shot of this menu. Out of the box the various "My Documents" directories do not appear on the computer submenu.

m
l
November 23, 2012 7:42:27 PM

Ah, now I see, 'Classic Theme' (never use it myself). The folders under 'My Computer' are system generated and can not be renamed (unless of course you just happen to have the Windows XP source code in your back pocket)
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:01:51 PM

caribouuu said:
Source?

Source = The program listing which, when compiled, creates all of the necessary bits that make up Windows XP.
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:12:02 PM

...Source of information..
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:12:36 PM

Microsoft. About 10 years ago.
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:32:06 PM

Well, exactly what information did they give you?
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:34:19 PM

Exactly what I posted. Those names are generated internally and the user has no access. The names are based partly on the profile name (Don't go changing it as it will invalidate that profile and cause a new one to be generated).
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:43:34 PM

How does it invalidate it?
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:44:46 PM

and what will it create a new one of?
m
l
November 23, 2012 8:45:57 PM

The GUID for the user account points to a profile by name. If you change the name then the profile no longer exists and will be created anew (empty).
m
l
November 23, 2012 9:16:39 PM

Well, I have changed the names of other user accounts, (you call them profiles? is that the same thing?), on this system. However, these particular accounts have never had their names changed. I still don't understand why the [user] account isn't displaying the name of the [administrator] account as "[Administrator]'s Documents".
m
l
November 23, 2012 9:48:58 PM

Profiles are the folder structure stored on disk (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>). Initially they are named after the account that created them. If you rename a user account the corresponding profile is not renamed as it's the GUID associated with the account, and not the 'name', that is used internally by the system.

The display is only showing what the designers of Windows wanted it to show. It's not changeable by the user.
m
l
November 23, 2012 10:21:27 PM

Oh, so the profile is the folder for each user, which is created the first time that user logs in with their account and contains that user's settings and files.

Well, assuming you are correct, then perhaps the reason that the "user" account's My Computer subfolder's folder link is not named to reflect the "administrator" profile's name is that the "user" profile was built before the "administrator" profile existed.

Perhaps the "user" profile should be deleted and rebuilt. However, creating a new profile for the "user" account might invalidate the data in the "administrator" profile. There should be a way to edit this data, because the creation of new accounts is a normal function of Windows, and it doesn't make sense that older accounts' data can not be updated for the creation of these accounts.
m
l
November 23, 2012 10:23:42 PM

Thanks. I'll have to research this further.
m
l
November 26, 2012 4:36:31 PM

SOLVED:

By allowing the [user] account Read permissions over the [administrator] folder within Documents and Settings.
m
l
!