Fix name of My Documents under several user accounts

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
My Computer is set to display as a menu on the Start menu. The administrator account shows the My Documents folders for the two users as My Documents and [User]'s Documents. However, the user account shows the My Documents folders as My Documents and My Documents. How can I get the user account to show the two folders as My Documents and [Administrator]'s Documents? P.S: The names show correctly in the My Computer window, just not in the Start menu menu, and probably not in the explorer address bar, either, although I forgot to check that.

caribou007

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Well how do I rename this one? It's not on my desktop- it's in the My Computer menu in the Start Menu. (I have set My Computer in the Start menu to show as a menu instead of a link.)

caribou007

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I'm not trying to argue with you, however, I don't think I should see that option in this case.

It's not an argument - if it isn't there it isn't there! :D

I can definitely do it in my menu but I don't have sub-menus as you do because I have the conventional Start Menu.

So, I've just changed my Properties to show My Computer as a menu and find I can rename everything except Control Panel and My Documents so it would seem that to change one of your entries, you need to go into C:\Documents and Settings and change the name of anything you wish to at that level.

caribou007

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
The user's My Documents folder inside each user's folder in the documents and settings folder should still be named 'My Documents', so that's not the solution. WinXP has another way of changing how the names are displayed in the My Computer Start menu.

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
........read this acticle if u fine it helpfull pass it on...http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/virus-whatis.aspx

What is this, a threat?

My Computer is not even a folder. That link is not relevant to the question I asked.

Your response looks like a threat.

Him (leonardjames). He also posted here as 'charlesmacrye' (now banned and deleted)

I'm also curious as to how you have "My Documents" appearing on the local computer menu. There's no option in the menu properties to do that.

I think he's set My Computer to display as a menu in Start menu Properties in which case it could show the My Documents folders of several Users. I've taken the problem to mean he can't discriminate but I seem to be in the category "not a single person with real knowledge"

That will only cause drives (mapped and local) to appear. Unless the various 'My Documents' have been shared and mapped they won't appear there. If that's the case then to rename them the shares must be renamed and the drives remapped.

caribou007

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
The "administrator" account's My Documents folder is not shared on a network. What I've done is allowed Read/Run security privileges for the "user" account in the folder's properties.

caribou007

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
It shows as ""Administrator"'s Documents" in the address bar and My Computer window, just not in the My Computer menu in the Start menu. However, when logged in with the "administrator" account, the "user" account's My Documents link in the My Computer menu in the Start menu DOES show as ""User"'s Documents".