AMD 1055T x6.. Bios update with AsusM4A78 PRO

Hello, I have a system with a Asus M4a78 PRO motharboard with an old Phenom 8400 x3 Oc'ed to 2.53 ghz with a ATI 4870 and 3Gb ddr2 ram, and really want to upgrade to a six core AMD 1055T, going to Oc it and benchmark with it. At the moment my current CPU is bottle necking the GPU in some games like GTA IV, and some other games that i play. I want to know if Asus will ever make a Bios update for the "Asus M4A78 PRO" so it can use the 6 cores. none update is out yet, and im not sure it they even will release an bios update?

How will i know if Asus will make an bios update for the motherboard? do i just need to wait? and hope they will make one?
5 answers Last reply
More about 1055t bios update asusm4a78
  1. i'm sure this question would be better answered by ASUS tech support

however I believe a full upgrade is a better solution if you have the money. otherwise, just wait...
  2. Doesnt amd have integrated memory controller?
    I dont think that new hexa-cores can handle ddr2 ram so i doubt it will even be possible.
  3. First thing to note is that GTA4's performance is mostly down to your CPU and not GPU(s) at all. When I overclocked my 720BE to 3.6GHz from 2.8 I saw a huge difference in GTA's performance, but if I disable SLI on my GTX 260 (216)'s frames only drop by about 5-10. I know GTA doesn't fully support SLI but with the latest NVIDIA drivers it does use both cards.

Also.. there are very VERY few programs that actually make use of 6 cores (in spite of what many 6-core users will tell you). Most applications still don't make use of 4 cores and only 2 in 3 games do. You're better off waiting a few months until the price has come down to get your new CPU.

I have no idea if they'll make a bios update. I doubt anyone will 100%. ASUS have made updates for their higher end boards first and seem to be going through a list of the latest boards etc.

You'll have to wait ;].
  4. Am sorry for the un-informed post above.
    According to CPUworld, it does have a controller for ddr2 ram so it is likely that there will be an update to support older motherboard.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X6%201090T%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDT90ZFBK6DGR%20(HDT90ZFBGRBOX).html

The only thing that worries me is the fact that the product page has been removed from their site. and trying to reach it brings me to the asus homepage.
  5. acer0169 said:
    First thing to note is that GTA4's performance is mostly down to your CPU and not GPU(s) at all. When I overclocked my 720BE to 3.6GHz from 2.8 I saw a huge difference in GTA's performance, but if I disable SLI on my GTX 260 (216)'s frames only drop by about 5-10. I know GTA doesn't fully support SLI but with the latest NVIDIA drivers it does use both cards.

Also.. there are very VERY few programs that actually make use of 6 cores (in spite of what many 6-core users will tell you). Most applications still don't make use of 4 cores and only 2 in 3 games do. You're better off waiting a few months until the price has come down to get your new CPU.

I have no idea if they'll make a bios update. I doubt anyone will 100%. ASUS have made updates for their higher end boards first and seem to be going through a list of the latest boards etc.

You'll have to wait ;].

Yeah i know that GTA IV is a CPU game. One of my friends run GTA IV on a 8800GT and a Phenom 9550 Quadcore 2.3 ghz and runs much smoother then with my system.. On my Phenom it runs really bad. :( maybe i should wait and do a full upgrade.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Asus BIOS Product