School project - building a custom loop

scibuff

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Hello,

For a school project I need to build a custom water loop. Phase 1 CPU only, Phase 2 include a single GPU, and possibly phase 3 add 2nd GPU.

I'll be using hardware from another project (from the fall semester):

cpu: i7 3770k
gpu: GTX 680
ram: 2x8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
case: NZXT Switch 810
psu: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W Bronze
ssd: Intel 520 180GB SSD
hdd: 2xSATA III Seagate Barracuda 2TB (needed a lot of storage for data)

I've read the WC sticky and went through the recommended starter kits. Unfortunately, the only one available I can get in my hometown is the Alphacool Economy Set I (€180). I also found the Rasa 750 RX240 WaterCooling Kit (€230) I could pick up in a retailer's warehouse about 2hrs drive. Other than that the only other options would be ordering online from abroad (EU/UK) - places such as overclockers, although I like some of their custom kits, such as this one OcUK Tech Lab - V8 Watercooling Kit 240 (€230).

I would like to ask for advice on which one of the kits to get. More than about the price (a few 10's of euros more or less) I'd need the kit with which I could learn the most and which wouldn't be too hard to extend for phase 2 and possible phase 3 (although if I'm not mistaken the sticky kit recommendation already takes expandability into consideration) - I'm thinking the custom kit from overclockers could be good for that as I can see how items from different manufacturers are/can be combined into a loop.

Also, do I need to worry about the psu (750W) if I wish to add the 2nd GPU and maybe another rad, i.e. having 6-8 fans in the case?

Thank you

From the looks of that Overclockers kit, its just an XSPC Raystorm EX240 kit with some aftermarket fans and barbs.
I advise you get that overclockers kit actually, as the kit you can get from the retailer warehouse has a less performing CPU block and radiator for the same price. Also some good aftermarket fans, which can be quite an expense when good ones come $15 each at minimum.

When you add in the GPU you wil probably have to add some more radiator into the loop, as I don't see a 240mm holding an overclocked i7 and 680 under load. Without doubt you will need more if you add a second.

That PSU will be fine, 750W is enough to hold dual 680's and the power draw from fans is pretty negligible.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Can you tell me why you put "School project" before the name of this post and most importantly why would a school care if you water cool a computer? Also the RX240's radiator should be the better one over the RS240 for you needs. I would consider adding another thicker 120mm somewhere in your case preferably blowing in like this one.

scibuff

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
@manofchalk thank you, I liked the overclockers kit too although the shipping will be a bitch I'll get that one

@melikepie, well, because it is a school project - a few of my friends and I are doing an independent study class and the curriculum we suggested (and got approved) is centered around customizing and building pc sets. we got a budget from the school and unfortunately all the hardware will be donated to charity after the class is over (hopefully it will still be working)

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

*drool*
I seriously doubt my school would EVER let me do something like that....
BTW, why didn't you build a really low end PC, and pocket the rest?....JKing, JKing.... :)

Nice. Is this High School or a College/University thing? Because I doubt that any school I'v been too would have trusted me with ~$2000 worth of hardware, plus about another $300 to put water inside the computer.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Lucky, every school I've been to barley trusted me with a pencil. They always tell me that I should not put it in my mouth and stuff and to bring my own pencils.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not sure I understand what building and watercooling a PC has to do with a school project since it's not really anything that applies to what you would learn there. But I'm not here to judge that, just curious what the project is supposed to help you learn?

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
^^^lol, this went off the rails fast....

@OP
If your going to need to expand it, from what I've read, that pump from the rasa kit is not gonna cut it. Have you considered going custom water cooled, and picking out each individual part?