Help! having problems with FXF Geforce 9500 GT

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
after installing my XFX Geforce 9500 gt card along with the drivers everything seamed to work but when attempting to play a game the only thing that appears is the frame of the window in which the game is supposed to run. also, unless i have the hardware acceleration set to none, when ever i drag a window the positions where the window passed through are shown (slow redraw or refresh rate, one of the two)

in the device manager, it shows a yellow exclamation point next to the graphics card; in it`s properties it says
"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

when trying to access the NVIDIA Control Panel a message appears which says
"NVIDIA Display settings are not available You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU"

when trying to access one of my games, a message comes up which say
"Your video card performance has not been found. A quick becnch will be performed."
this is followed by the frame of the game window and then by a message which says
"Could not retrieve your graphics drive performance. Automatic graphics quality may be inadequate."
then when the game runs only the frame of the window appears

the drivers have been uninstalled and installed again multiple times using the drive from the cd (version 178.24W) as well as the latest one from the websaite, windows has been updated completely, old integrated graphics card drivers have also been uninstalled

what do i have to do to make this work?

Extra info about my pc:
Pentium 4 3GHz processor
computer is an IBM ThinkCentre A51 8131-33U-changes include:
a 430 watt Antec power supply model BP430
original RAM switch for 4 Kingston 1GB RAM Cards model KVR400D2N3K2/2G
a Lite-on dvd drive model iiHAS220-06
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive
and the XFX Card which is connected to a Samsung 22" screen using a VGA cable with a DVI to VGA adapter between the card and cable

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
yeah, old drivers are uninstalled, well at east they don't appear in the device manager or add/remove programs

"a 430 watt Antec power supply model BP430"

and i currently living in a dorm room so everyone i know has a laptop

OK your psu is good enough to run a 9800gt so i doubt that it is the issue so it must be the card. If you can't test it in another box then you should RMA or take the card back to the store that got it.

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
i was hoping you didn't say that because when i got the card i also got an incorrect psu which i had to RMA back, but then i didn't have enough money for the correct one, and it has definately been to long for me to RMA it back to Newegg

i really thought it was the software because it works with everything except the games i have installed, but the games from sites like bored.com work fine
is there anything else that i can do to fix it?

OK what is the temps that the card is working at? Gpu z and riva tuner will help you figuring that out. Is the fan spinning?

OK once you have the program open click on the first little box next to the drop down menu that has the name of your card and then the icon that has the magnifying glass and a chip. Once you have done that it will show the temp as well other things. To overclock to change the fan speed the little box below that has an option in the fan tab to change the speeds. Detect now and don't reboot turn the fan speed up if needed.

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
ok, so how do i find out if the temp is good or if i should increase the fan speed? and if i do need to increase the fan speed how would i do that? also, back to original question, with this information can you guys tells me how to fix the problem or do u need more info and how do i get it?

I am trying to help you rull out heat being the cause of the problem. If the gpu is running hot like 70c+ then you need to turn up the fan speed but if it isn't hot then it is not a cooling issue. Then the card maybe defective but go ahead and try new drivers again.

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
at first i used the one on the cd that it came with, which is the 178.24w, then did a few more tries with the 196.21 then two more tries with the 196.34 yesterday and once with the 196.21 again today

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
to late to RMA it to neweegg like i said earlier, but what are my chances of getting XFX to do something about this? cuz they still haven't replied to the "support ticket" that i sent early tuesday

They usually respond sooner, I had to RMA my 780i once. Give them another day or so before emailing them again.

Because you mentioned the egg I assumed you were in the US and because XFX have a double lifetime warranty for you guys I again assumed you would RMA to them.

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
just got a response form the techs at XFX from the message i had sent on Tuesday say that i should update my BIOS, just wanted to know what you guys thought and maybe an explanation on how to go about updating the BIOS cuz i have no clue

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
did some searching and found this on the lenovo site regarding the latest BIOS

version 2FKT25A

* Enhances fan control to match processor updates
* Fixes a problem where PCI game port cards would not work

well I'm ecstatic to say the least, good chance that i won't have to go through the trouble of returning the card and getting a new one, hopefully it works, i'll keep you guys updated

If they agree to replacement you will need to fill out a very basic form (pdf) and print it. Include the document with the card in the package (tracking helps when one is eager). They usually get packages after a week or so and they only take about a day or so when in their labs to rule it out as defective or not. If dead they will send you a new/refurbed card.

ddeleon4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
the tech also mentioned , in the same message where he talked about updating the BIOS, that my pc may not be compatible with the card but i don't understand what would make it incompatible? i thought that as long as i could supply the power the card needed, had the correct slot for it on the motherboard it, and my system wasn't insanely outdated it would work, is there something i'm missing? u guys got any idea what that could be?