Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATI's answer to Fermi?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 1:58:54 AM

But theres always room at the top as they say.
Itll be interesting to see the fastest cards, as this is but one here, and therell be more coming.
Id never buy one of these, as its overkill and then some, but wouldnt turn one down for free either heheh
m
0
l
Related resources
February 25, 2010 2:39:41 AM

It's purdy....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 3:03:21 AM

That's a heck of alot of copper there.
Expensive and Heavy!

Which may be to make it 'equivalent'. ;) 

I think they're answer to Fermi will be from Oblivion/Fallout: "HUH !?! What was that? I guess it was nothing." :evil: 

But here's an early picture of the R900 I found from my archives;


m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 3:10:04 AM

I see the power, cooling, fan etc, but it looks like theres several washers missing heheh
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 3:18:35 AM

When will this one be released? After Fermi is out or before?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 3:21:16 AM

I love google translator " Box of cereal is pleased to announce " AHAHAHA
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 3:32:45 AM

Soon, as I believe NDA is lifting today/tomorrow
m
0
l
February 25, 2010 7:11:21 AM

That looks sick!!!
m
0
l
February 25, 2010 8:23:23 AM

what size does she do ? At least three slots

She has f*** look, 100% copper nice
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 10:36:11 AM

lol that copper block would snap the board! :p  I can see it now, 5 years from now GPU's will have a metal bar attacked to the front that extends to the back to hold them up!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 11:39:57 AM

I think it's safe to say this thing will probably beat fermi in sli. xD
m
0
l
February 25, 2010 12:05:04 PM

it looks like a Transformer version, Decepticon?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 12:47:59 PM

Asus implying that ATI is Greek and Nvidia Roman?


Seriously though, this is just a limited, buy one of a thousand, just like our old friend Mars. No way is this intended to be the ATI answer to Fermi, just Asus' answer to making a $2000 card.

But who knows... maybe we will see something like a 5990 eventually.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2010 1:06:15 PM

i would be more impressed if ASUS came out with a 5970x2 (4 gpus one board)
since ati does 2 gpus on one pcb, if it was three slots it might be doable, though probably 4 pci-e connectors for power
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 7:12:59 PM

little treat for ya all:

Asus ROG ARES working

is about 23% faster than a 5970 and runs cooler
it should be released probably before Computex (June I think...?)
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 7:26:24 PM

Doesn't surprise me. ATI needs to release a $500 HD5950, a $450 HD5890, a $750 HD5990 (that has proper cooling, and goes over 300W so we can have full clocks), a $170 HD5790, and a $110 HD5690. While those will most likely not happen, it would be kick-ass.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 9:20:13 PM

honestly the ROG is kinda lame to me especially if you have to pay considerable price premium for t. The extra memory is useless since games never pushed memory that high.

The cores are the same just with better cooling so their can reach those higher clocks. You can clock one even faster with liquid cooling like mine.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 10:05:10 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
honestly the ROG is kinda lame to me especially if you have to pay considerable price premium for t. The extra memory is useless since games never pushed memory that high.


GTA-IV makes use of that extra memory, and if you max Textures in Crysis, or add texture packs to Oblivion and such, you can easily push past 1GB of VRAM per core.

Quote:
The cores are the same just with better cooling so their can reach those higher clocks. You can clock one even faster with liquid cooling like mine.


But you still don't have the power circuitry behind that, so liquid would take this even higher. [:mousemonkey:3]
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2010 10:30:13 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
GTA-IV makes use of that extra memory, and if you max Textures in Crysis, or add texture packs to Oblivion and such, you can easily push past 1GB of VRAM per core.

Quote:
The cores are the same just with better cooling so their can reach those higher clocks. You can clock one even faster with liquid cooling like mine.


But you still don't have the power circuitry behind that, so liquid would take this even higher. [:mousemonkey:3]


Would the higher memory help with higher resolutions of eyefinity such as with regular resolutions?
m
0
l
!