I7 930 high idle low temps on load.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hello, I have spent a lot of time over the past week trying to figure this out, I put together this i7 1366 system and when I first got the stock heatsink my temps would idle around 47-55 ish and under load get up to 75-80 so I decided to go buy an aftermarket cooler asap so I went to best buy and picked up an h50 corsair cpu cooler because I have read that a lot of people have had it cool their cpu's good enough, well I have tried everything, pushpull setups exhaust intake setup, turning all fans around, changing settings around, etc. It is pretty warm inside my room as summer is coming along, It does get pretty hot in here so I am asuming that if the Air conditioning was on right now the temps would go down prolly 6C, anyway unless I disable hyperthreading and take it down to stock settings my temps will not stay under 50, they stay around 47 and will get into the low 50's while surfing the web, etc.. However when I am at full load this thing runs way cool, its like the cpu doesnt change speeds from idle to playing crysis, it stays around 55C in crysis, but in prime 95 when its hot in my room it will start around 60 and go up to about 68 and stay there for an hour..

I really am willing to spend some money on an aftermarket cooler so that I will be able to overclock this cpu safely and have it last me a long time. In the mean time am I okay with these temps? Im at 50, 45, 49, 45C right now and I am sweating because it is hot in my room right now and I haven't began using air conditioning yet. I just started up prime 95 about 30 seconds ago and I am at 67C but usually it doesnt go above 75 when it is this hot in my room. Also the northbridge temps on this board get really warm as well, the chipset will usually idle around 60-65. Is this hard on my cpu as long as it doesnt get any hotter? I know for temps under load this isn't that bad, I get even the same load temps when I have this overclocked to 3.5 ghz but am I safe to have these temps for the next week or so until I can figure out what to do? I would really like to fix this h50 because I like the idea of it and the looks and how quiet it is, thats important to me but I would also like to best performance the top performing heatsinks I will spend 100$ if I have to and if it well worth that price and not too hard to install.

Any feedback would be great, I hate having to worry about these temps after I just spent 700$ on this new setup.

Oh and the h50 I mounted it pretty good, I did it exactly how corsair shows in their video in terms of locking down the heatsink on the cpu, It did not wiggle or move at all, I screwed it in really tight and I am pretty sure the thermalpaste that came with it didnt even move because of how steady I had it when I put it in, I have a thermaltake supranors case with 4 120mm fans, I have the h50 doing a pushpull exhausting out the back of my case with a fan in the front of my case blowing air in and 2 120mm fans on the side of my case blowing in, the top one blowing right in at the radiator fan.

just to feel comfortable and I okay with these idle temps?

thanks

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Pick up an Antec spot-cooler and position it so that it's pushing air over your QPI and out of the case. The problem with the H50 is that it removes the fan that typically sits on the HSF so that the northbridge is stifled. Great for 1156 due to lack of nb. Not so great on 1366 where the QPI and Mosfets tend to get quite warm.

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
if i were you i'd take the contact plate off and reapply the thermal paste, you probably didn't do it right, use Arctic Silver 5 and apply only a THIN layer as possible, usually just barely enough to cover the bare metal. I can go around people's machines and do what I just told you, and knock about 5-10C off their regular temps.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I tried everything, I just re applied paste twice, I usually barely used any , just enough to cover the cpu, very thin layer, but not too thin, I even tried one with just abit more on it and the temps have been goin up 2-3C up and down but still high idle, this thing has to be defective.. I am planning on going with something better anyway, I am going to return this h50 and get something better, mabey one of those coolermaster v8? I am about to order a new heatsink, anyone got any suggestions? I want silence and performance :)

violentlyhappy91

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I'm using a basic Aftermarket Cooler, can't even remember what it's called. My OC'd 4.02ghz E8500 runs hotter when idle, usually 40c-43c idle, 35c load. Main reason, the aftermarket cooler makes it's own mind up.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Are those quiet? I really want silence and high performance, I wanna be able to stay atleast 3.5ghz 24/7, also I need a cpu cooler that can blow some air onto my chipset if possible, if not Ill have to figure out something for that.

I really want silence in this case with good cooling if I have to pay some extra money so be it.

I was looking at the coolermaster v10 and it looked interesting to me how it exhausts all the air out of the back of the system, are there any heatsinks like that? Also I would really like to be able to change the fan speed with it,

I want to get something that would beat out this h50

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
why would it not fit in my case? Its not small its almost as big as a full tower, anyway that would be too much money, also those green led fans I can not do, arent there fans that are more high end that work better and are silent ? What about scythe products I hear those are high quality and silent.

what would do better then that COOLER MASTER Hyper 212, that cant be the best can it?

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
are those coolermater hyper 212's hard to install? some reviews show that it is not easy, also what do you think of these coolers?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110574+4802&name=Top+Sellers&Page=2

That hyper 212 is sold out on newegg so I am gona need to order something else

Also this x58 1366 board runshot, the northbridge is 64C right now, do you know anything about chipset cooling like these items here

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=572&name=Memory-Chipset-Cooling

I am looking for something that might be able to cool down my chipset, when I put my finger on the heatsink over the northbridge it is extremely hot.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
No I didn't overclock, my northbridge was running warm aroung like 45-50 ish but lately its been running higher around 60 ish, im sure its because ambient temps have gone up so much. it's 59C right now

I haven't overclocked except for when I first got the board I was just messing around but I wouldnt risk anything if my idle went above 55 I would restart and change it back, also with prime 95, if i saw it go above 75 I stopped it because I dont want to let it get that hot.

I have been keeping my voltage lower and a few other things changed because with all default clock speeds this board makes a high pitch sound thats annoying and a lot of people had the problem until they changed the voltages, etc so I have everything set to cpu vcore 1.21875, qpi / vtt 1.175 qpi pll 1.160

I have tried changing things around a bit but nothing really changes the temps other then disabling and enabling hyperthreading.

I haven't done anything that would be risky to this board in the bios. I havent risked changing any serious voltages or whatever.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
HEllo, I put together an i7 930 1366 system a few weeks ago and have been having some TEMP issues, nothing risky or anything like that but when I was running the stock heatsink I would idle around 47 - 58 and sometimes up to 63, under prime 95 I would getup to 75-80 which I did not want so I picked up a h50 corsair cooler and thought it would help a lot, my temps were still around the same, 47-55 idle temps and under load 60-75, this is all with stock bios settings and hyperthreading disabled I tried re-applying thermal paste, I tried a few different kinds, Still same temps so I decided okay this is not gona work out so I purchased a megahalems cpu cooler and just installed it, I idle around the same as the h50 cooler, mabey 1 or 2C lower, I have prime 95 open right now and hyperthreading enabled I am a little bit under 70C with stock bios settings, I have my side window off as well so it should be a little less warm, mabey idle at 40? In a lot of the reviews it idles in the low 30's with an i7. My northbridge on this motherboard is also getting really warm, Idle around 55 and I have seen it get up to 65 -70 with prime 95 but usually it hangs around 61-63. Any help would be great.

I am really upset and frustrated

Oh and I have a thermaltake supranors mid tower case with a 120mm fan blowing out the back of the case, around 1600 rpm's and a corsair 4 pin fan blowing air on the right side of the heatsink blowing air through it and I feel a good amount of air blowing out the back of the case, I also have a 120mm fan blowing in from the front and I was unable to keep the 120mm fans on the side window because the heatsink is too big for it. so I have a 80MM fan blowing towards the heatsink and another 80MM blowing up towards my video card which has good idle temps, around 50C.

What should I do? It seems like no matter what my temps don't change. I am using programs like real temp, cpuid hw monitor, core temp, and they all match the bios temp.

Help!

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I got everything set up perfectly, im at 4ghz at 1.35 right now my idle temps are what isn't right, cpu temps right now doing nothing except this, 53 50 54 50. northbridge temp is 51, in prime 95 after 1 hour temps are 67-73. and north bridge the same. I know the load temps are safe but am I okay having these idle temps? around 49-54? I have an alarm that keeps track of all my temps so I know they are ok but is it gona harm my cpu to have it running at these temps most of the time?

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You aren't talking about 70C peak are you?

I have been spending the past 3-4 days overclocking, testing things. I have my voltage at 1.3125 ish and I am at 3.959 GHZ with hyperthreading on, I am running prime 95 with the highest temp ive seen hit 78, if I see it go above 80 I am going to take it down but I am suprised I can run 4ghz with HT on. Idle temps with this are 49-55 and my northbridge is running cool now.

What do you think? I have heard many people say that anything below 80 is ok for load.