Sign in with
Your question

Recently upgraded cpu. Computer won't start.

Last response: in Components
May 17, 2010 10:04:11 AM

Hi, I recently upgraded my processor from a celeron D to a intel core 2 quad q8200. I am certain that my motherboard is a LGA775 socket so the cpu has to work. When I put the cpu in, I got a black screen, no beeps from my computer and no lights on my keyboard.

When I simply assumed *I must have fitted it wrong*. I tried numerous times and no success so far. I decided to put my old processor back in the computer. Logic told me "there must be a fault in the cpu". But when I tried to put my old one back in. I get the same results.

I took the ram out to see if I could get a beep from my computer. Still nothing, this is while the quad core cpu was in.

Any help of any kind is welcome.

My computer is a ACER SA80 *It's old I know* :) 
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 10:25:12 AM

Well, just because it's socket 775 doesn't necessarily mean that it will work - the older chipsets such as the Intel P965 for example do not support Core 2 CPUs. Other chipsets support Core 2 CPUs, but only the 65nm versions. As for your problem, I'm surprised putting the old CPU didn't work either - you may have bent a few motherboard pins while replacing it. Otherwise I wouldn't really know sorry.
May 17, 2010 10:35:24 AM

It's a 45nm, When I did some research around the web nobody said anything about this. Thanks, I still need help finding why won't my computer turn on.

I am getting the fan to spin and the computer light does work but by the sound of the computer. It isn't doing anything.
Related resources
a c 104 ) Power supply
a c 103 à CPUs
May 17, 2010 12:14:25 PM

Put the old cpu back in, reseat heatsink using thermal paste ofc, try clearing the bios and see if you can get any joy,
!