Sign in with
Your question

Computer goes to sleep mode too fast

Last response: in Windows XP
November 13, 2012 3:03:13 AM

My Dell Inspirion goes to sleep after just a few minutes of non use. Very frustrating. It also requires my password each time to wake it up.

I have changed the settings in the power option setting them for an hour. I also changed the setting telling it that a pass workd will not be needed to wake up.
I have restarted after making setting changes.

The problem is still happening!! Can anyone help?

Terry
November 13, 2012 12:41:04 PM

Check your screen saver settings. It might be set to password protect on wake. If the screen saver kicks in before the computer goes to sleep, it will ask for a password when you wake it.
m
l
November 13, 2012 1:50:07 PM

If U don't put it to sleep at all , does it work? or it goes to sleep even then?

For not working with power option:
Do you know to use cmd?

Because I think I would try to set it with powercfg...
Start >run, type cmd, and enter
powercfg /?
this lists all available commands for U to see.
look at the /q, /n, /x commands. Under change U have options for turning off monitor ,hard, hibernate, etc

Now U can just type powercfg /q to see the current scheme U use. And look at the numerical id, you'll need it.
Now , U can change those settings.
For example , turn off monitor after ...let's say 12 minutes by typing:
powercfg /change 0 /n /monitor-timeout-ac 12

( 0 is just an example, you just look at your numerical id and type that instead.)

:hello: 
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 3:02:03 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
Check your screen saver settings. It might be set to password protect on wake. If the screen saver kicks in before the computer goes to sleep, it will ask for a password when you wake it.

Thank you for the help. I did figure out how to turn of the password protect. I would prefer to have it on, but not if I have to type it again everytime I leave for 10 minutes. I want to computer to stay on for about an hour without any
action. I set the power saver settings to stay on longer (2 hrs now I think), and restarted and it still goes to sleep way too fast in about 10 minutes.

Any more ideas? Terry
m
l
November 14, 2012 10:41:13 AM

Sorry, other than the power settings in the control panel, the screen saver, and the powercfg command, I don't know of anything that would put the computer to sleep.
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:07:04 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
Sorry, other than the power settings in the control panel, the screen saver, and the powercfg command, I don't know of anything that would put the computer to sleep.

Thank you for your time. I am a novice. When I have a little time, I will explore the screen saver and power command which I don't understand now.
At least this is not stopping me from working. I appreciate the help.
Terry
m
l
November 16, 2012 7:20:56 PM

terrysananselmo said:
My Dell Inspirion goes to sleep after just a few minutes of non use. Very frustrating. It also requires my password each time to wake it up.

I have changed the settings in the power option setting them for an hour. I also changed the setting telling it that a pass workd will not be needed to wake up.

Terry
:hello:  harry here: the settings is in power in the control panel, then set the settings on what u want :) 
m
l
November 16, 2012 7:29:58 PM

It hasn't been stated but this wouldn't happen to be a company issued laptop would it? If so then your IT department may have set a policy (done for security purposes).
m
l
November 16, 2012 7:53:54 PM

harryblue954 said:
:hello:  harry here: the settings is in power in the control panel, then set the settings on what u want :) 

Thank you Harry, I did see exactly those choices. I set everything on 2 hours. But it still goes to screen saver and needing a login in about 5 minutes. Maybe this is normal but it is annoying since I work from home and walk around a lot.

Terry
m
l
November 20, 2012 6:00:25 PM

terrysananselmo said:

Terry

it's all controlled by the power setting in the control panel, u can set to never when plug in & 10min for moniter 15 for HDD 25 for hole computer to go to sleep
m
l
!