are ALL new notebooks flimsy????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
chassis made for these notebooks.

My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.

I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

IBM T series.. they're light, and very solid.. IMO

if ya wanna go all out.. i panasonic has the toughbook.. you can drop those
in a bucket of water and they keep ticking!

"Beeblebrox" <sl1433@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
> impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
> think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
> chassis made for these notebooks.
>
> My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
> processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
> flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
> comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
> previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.
>
> I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
> built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
> industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

Fujitsu

Look at the S series

Paul P

"Beeblebrox" <sl1433@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
> impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
> think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
> chassis made for these notebooks.
>
> My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
> processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
> flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
> comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
> previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.
>
> I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
> built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
> industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Beeblebrox wrote:
> Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
> impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
> think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
> chassis made for these notebooks.
>
> My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
> processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
> flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
> comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
> previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.
>
> I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
> built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
> industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

My Sony PCG GRT150 is fine. I dropped it on a hard wood floor from
about mid thigh height in April and it has not given me any problems.

jimbo

Try the IBM thinkpad T series.

"Beeblebrox" <sl1433@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
> impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
> think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
> chassis made for these notebooks.
>
> My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
> processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
> flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
> comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
> previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.
>
> I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
> built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
> industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

My first laptop was a Dell Inspiron 8100, followed a couple years later by a
Toshiba A45-S150. When I first picked the Toshiba up, I immediately noticed
how much more rigid it felt than the Dell. The Dell feels REALLY flimsy.

Beeblebrox wrote:

> I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
> built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
> industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

The IBM T-Series is very sturdy (it has a titanium-composite casing). Or
have a look at the HP nx7010 or the nc-/nw-Series...

Benjamin

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:50:06 -0400, Michael Rainey wrote
(in article <2pbk8sFj1df9U1@uni-berlin.de>):

> Subject: Re: are ALL new notebooks flimsy????
> From: "Michael Rainey" <rainey47@bellsouth.net>
> Date: Saturday 11:50 AM
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
>
> My first laptop was a Dell Inspiron 8100, followed a couple years later by a
> Toshiba A45-S150. When I first picked the Toshiba up, I immediately noticed
> how much more rigid it felt than the Dell. The Dell feels REALLY flimsy.

Agreed. I have a Dell I8200. I love it to death, but build quality is NOT
one of it's strong points. It does flex and bend a *LOT*.