are ALL new notebooks flimsy????

Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
chassis made for these notebooks.

My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.

I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.
7 answers Last reply
More about notebooks flimsy

    IBM T series.. they're light, and very solid.. IMO

    if ya wanna go all out.. i panasonic has the toughbook.. you can drop those
    in a bucket of water and they keep ticking!

    "Beeblebrox" <sl1433@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
    > impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
    > think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
    > chassis made for these notebooks.
    >
    > My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
    > processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
    > flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
    > comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
    > previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.
    >
    > I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
    > built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
    > industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

    Fujitsu

    Look at the S series

    Paul P

    Beeblebrox wrote:
    > Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
    > impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
    > think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
    > chassis made for these notebooks.
    >
    > My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
    > processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
    > flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
    > comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
    > previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.
    >
    > I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
    > built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
    > industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

    My Sony PCG GRT150 is fine. I dropped it on a hard wood floor from
    about mid thigh height in April and it has not given me any problems.

    jimbo

    Try the IBM thinkpad T series.

    "Beeblebrox" <sl1433@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Over the last few years, the notebooks I've used at work have not
    > impressed me. They're fast and the screens look great, but WOW, I
    > think cooked spaghetti has more stability and integrity than the
    > chassis made for these notebooks.
    >
    > My personal notebook (a Dell Inspiron 3500, with a 400MHz Celeron
    > processor, circa early 2000), when I hold it in 1 hand it doesn't
    > flex. When I hold my works' Dell D600, it has much more flex than I'm
    > comfortable with. I've seen the same thing with the Toshiba I used
    > previously, and the Dell Latitude I had before that.
    >
    > I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
    > built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
    > industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

    My first laptop was a Dell Inspiron 8100, followed a couple years later by a
    Toshiba A45-S150. When I first picked the Toshiba up, I immediately noticed
    how much more rigid it felt than the Dell. The Dell feels REALLY flimsy.

    Beeblebrox wrote:

    > I'd like to buy a new laptop, but are there any out there that are
    > built with sturdy chassis'?????? It doesn't need to be
    > industrial-strength; I just want it to be reasonably sturdy.

    The IBM T-Series is very sturdy (it has a titanium-composite casing). Or
    have a look at the HP nx7010 or the nc-/nw-Series...

    Benjamin

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:50:06 -0400, Michael Rainey wrote
    (in article <2pbk8sFj1df9U1@uni-berlin.de>):

    > Subject: Re: are ALL new notebooks flimsy????
    > From: "Michael Rainey" <rainey47@bellsouth.net>
    > Date: Saturday 11:50 AM
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
    >
    > My first laptop was a Dell Inspiron 8100, followed a couple years later by a
    > Toshiba A45-S150. When I first picked the Toshiba up, I immediately noticed
    > how much more rigid it felt than the Dell. The Dell feels REALLY flimsy.

    Agreed. I have a Dell I8200. I love it to death, but build quality is NOT
    one of it's strong points. It does flex and bend a *LOT*.

Laptops Notebooks World Of Warcraft