$900-$1000 (Canadian) Gaming PC

RWolfe

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: $900-$1000 After Rebates (including keyboard + mouse)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Will be playing Starcraft II and Diablo III when they are out), Surfing, Movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Speakers, OS, Hard Drive (will be re-using a 500GB SATA)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: TigerDirect.ca, NCIX.com (Canadian Sites. Tigerdirect is in driving range of me)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'd prefer a Intel CPU with a standard size case.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I prefer cases with lots of venting and nice air flow. Overall what I'm looking for is a computer that with feel solid and run well. The computer I built a few years ago that I'm using now feels "fragile", if that makes sense. Not the greatest motherboard and such. Anyways, thanks for help in advance!

Are you planning on upgrading the monitor? If not, switch the GPU to an HD 5770 to save about $200.

Prices and links are US to Newegg.ca. You can look them up anywhere else.

CPU/Mobo: X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $265
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $123
Case: HAF 922 $110
GPU: HD 5850 $390
PSU: Corsair 650W $110 before $20 rebate ($90 in total)
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $26
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $30

Total: $1,034. You're not going to be able to get a good Intel CPU for this (unless you only need the 5770). That usually adds $85-100 (US) to the cost.

RWolfe

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Been out of the hardware loop for years and knew I could get some help here!

How would this CPU/Mobo combo compare to the one you posted:

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

For roughly $60 more. Would it be worth it, or should I just stick to the AMD combo you posted?

Also, I don't plan on upgrading my monitor, so is it worth it switching to the HD 5770? Is there a big performance difference?

Thanks again!

The CPU is slightly better. The board is essentially the same. The only problem is that it's $99 more (209 + 155 = 365 - 265 = $99).

The other issue is that the LGA1156 socket (the i3/i5's socket) is essentially a dead end. Intel is making it their mainstream socket, meaning that they aren't going to release more powerful CPUs for the socket. Everything that's out is as powerful as it will get (excluding the dual core i3/i5s).

The switch to the 5770 would have a difference, but not one that you could notice. The 5850 is over powered for lower resolutions, so you might as well save your money and get a smaller card. I would recommend thinking about picking up a Crossfire board if you do that, as if you ever upgrade the monitor, you would have a cheap upgrade option to get the most out of the new monitor.

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Personally if are on the fence I would stick with the AMD build since it has a little more upgrade path then the intel build.

As far as the GPU goes the 5770 at your resolution would not really be any different then the 5850. You really dont need a 5850 until you hit the 19xx res area that is where the 5770 starts to fail.

RWolfe

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Having some second thoughts about when would be best for me to get this new system. When it comes to computer hardware, prices don't drop much within the span of a year, correct?

As of right now, upgrading my computer would have no affect on me, as I do nothing that stresses this computer out (very limited gaming on it atm). So let's say StarCraft II comes out later this year (which doesn't run all the best on this computer, tried the Beta), would it be worth waiting until release to upgrade my PC, or will the cost be near the same?

Thanks!

RWolfe

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Sorry to bump, but my last post would be the last question I have :)

Having some second thoughts about when would be best for me to get this new system. When it comes to computer hardware, prices don't drop much within the span of a year, correct?

As of right now, upgrading my computer would have no affect on me, as I do nothing that stresses this computer out (very limited gaming on it atm). So let's say StarCraft II comes out later this year (which doesn't run all the best on this computer, tried the Beta), would it be worth waiting until release to upgrade my PC, or will the cost be near the same?

Thanks!

Thanks for any help.