Cpu or ram

G

could a faulty used processor cause a fatal error in Windows xp. i upgraded from amd athlon 1.33 on a ms-6378 ver 2 motherboard, to a amd athlon xp 2100+ palamino.
FSB 1.33. 512mb ram, i kept a eye on temp around 57deg it ran for about 90 minutes then windows shutdown, restarted, and it errored again.
so i replaced with the original processor and everything is ok.
Error code 1000007f parameter1 00000008 parameter 2 80042000 parameter 3 00000000 parameter 4 00000000
Can the 2100 be tested

G

Hi MSI charts indicate this processor the amd athlon xp2100+(palamino)
is the max upgrade for that ms-6378 motherboard of that version the FSB
appears to be ok according to AMD: Don't snicker. This happens, and often. If you have an Athlon XP 2600+ or 3000+, you should really worry; if not, make sure anyway. The correct FSB for any Athlon XP up to 2400+ is 133MHz (266MHz effective), the correct FSB for the 2500+, 2700+, and 2800+ is 166MHz (333MHz effective), the correct FSB for the 3200+ is 200MHz. Remember that unless your only options are 200MHz and up (ex. 200MHz / 266MHz / 333MHz), you should always enter the real FSB speed (ex. 133MHz instead of 266MHz)........ STILL FISH THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

G

I WAS ONLY TRYING TO GET THE SSE FUNCTIONS OF THIS PROCESSOR NOT START A TECHNICAL REVOLUTION.. no i did'nt re-install windows

Yes, I'm a little dismayed to have been Cap-attacked when I'm trying to help soneone out,
The reason I asked if you had reinstalled windows is because I recently learned how to build pc's and one thing I learned was that when you install windows, it assesses your setup, hard drives, cpu, graphics,ram etc,

I tried swapping my Gf's hard drive into a new build and it wouldnt boot, put old drive back in, booted no problem, so I re-installed windows on the new drive and it works fine, Windows sulks and wont boot if the hardware configuration differs from what it 'knows'.

Maybe I should have explained all that in my earlier post, but fault-finding requires information from you.
I was just trying to cross that option off my list and narrow things down which is what anyone on here will do in order to find the problem and help you.
As you havent re-installed windows for the new proc, I suggest you do so and try booting again, I'll check back in the morning when I finish work ok? :)
Moto

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

This shouldnt be a problem with a cpu upgrade, Ive just upgraded mine from a Dual Core E8600 to a Quad Core Extreme QX9650 now im sure we can all agree thats a massive hardware upgrade in any one's language. I didnt need to re-install my OS, all i did was reset bios to defaults on 1st boot then make any changes i wanted the OS didnt even ask for a reboot, tho i gave it one for good luck.
Tho i agree with your objection to being caps attacked, I dont think he needs to re-install his OS. Changeing the hard drive with the OS on it is anther matter and you are quite correct in that instance tho there are other ways round that issue to apparantly.

Different systems have different issues. OS could need to be reinstalled, but possibly it's ok. When I built my new PC I used my old HDD for a couple days and everything booted up but windows dected the hardware change and asked for a reinstall (Win XP). Also happened when I put my parents (super) old HDD in my old PC to transfer some files... then I got my new HDDs, put my old HDD back in the old PC and reinstalled Win XP on it again lol. But, that was complete hardware changes not just a CPU.

RAM has been my main cause of BSODs. I recommend getting your RAM timings and speed that they're specced for, and checking that is exactly what they're running at in the BIOS - and especially the voltage. Auto features won't always put it to the proper speeds. You can specifically check if it's the RAM by running Memtest86+. You'll need to put it on a floppy or CD/DVD and boot off it, then let it run. If there's errors, then you know what the problem is.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

Like you said yourself both instances you quote are with HARD DRIVES you should NOT need to re-install the OS with a CPU upgrade i can link to severall posts that say the same as im saying if i had time to go look for em i havent atm.

Right... so we agree, it's probably not an OS reinstall that's needed. Now stop talking smack and try helping the OP out with some ideas. OS reinstall was just an idea and not a completely terrible one either. All you've contributed is to shoot down an idea. At least try giving some advice in return.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Im trying to prevent "by adviseing" the OP from Re-installing his OS which he should not need to do! it would take him severall hours and waste his time on something that will not solve this issue. If saveing the Op time involves "shoting down an idear" thats wrong isnt this isnt helping the OP? I didnt attack you i attacked the idear like it says in the guide!

I did not mention that one of the other posters seemd (to me) to be on the right track and i was waiting for the OP's reply to his comment. Why do i need to repeat what someone else has said to the OP just to satisfy you that im helping the OP

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Like you said yourself both instances you quote are with HARD DRIVES you should NOT need to re-install the OS with a CPU upgrade i can link to severall posts that say the same as im saying if i had time to go look for em i havent atm.
I'm not even in this argument yet, but might I suggest you propose something better instead of trying to make other people mad for no reason whatsoever.

The best thing I can think of to do here is to reset the CMOS on your board. It's probably a jumper somewhere, but without actually seeing it, I can't really tell you where. Once you do that, it should redetect the processor and components, and with any luck, should be back up and running.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

I will propose something when im sure of what im talking about! If all im sure about at that point is there's no need to re-install the OS as others are proposeing then ill say that and only that

TRENDING THREADS