Sign in with
Your question

What happened

Last response: in Overclocking
January 7, 2013 10:30:44 PM

Ok guys I was running occt for 4 hours as I was checking to see if my overclock was stable but for some reason about 2 hours and 20 minutes into it the computer reboots I was wondering is it a unstable overclock or my psu acting up. By the way it's a corsair gs700 I'm going to be replacing it, It makes an annoying buzzing noise all the time so any thoughts.

More about : happened

a c 149 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2013 10:45:17 PM

What are the details of your OC and system specs?

If the PSU is acting up, replace and run again, but a review of what you did (on what components) is a good idea as well.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 2:39:09 AM

If your PSU is buzzing, you probably have an issue somewhere... I'd be worried if it is buzzing as it shouldn't be.

However, it could be an unstable processor or bad PSU or many other things. It's all a trial and error process. I'd try running a lower clock and see if the same thing happens. If it does, I'd start by looking at the buzz box :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 5:20:56 AM

Buzzing does not sound good literally or metaphorically.

Please post more information including voltages and temperatures.
January 8, 2013 12:37:40 PM

Ok so i'm new to overclocking so I wrote down everything in my BIOS to help give you an Idea. First of all when i was running OCCT the hottest core would never pass 63c I'm using a zalman 9930 max heatsing on a ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3 motherboard, So lets get to the bios (sorry if this is a book lol)

OC Tweaker.

Advanced Turbo 50 - Disabled
Load Optimized CPU OC Setting- Disabled

CPU CONTROL.

CPU Ratio Setting - Manual
Max Ratio - 45
Internal PLL Overvoltage - Enabled
Intel speedstep technology - enabled
turbo boost power limit - manual
short duration power limit (W) - 230
long duration power limit (W) - 200
additional turbo voltage - auto
core current limit - 210

host clock override (BCLK) - 100.o MHZ
spread spectrum - disabled

Voltage Control.

power saving mode - disabled
cpu core voltage - 1.296 but it moves up to 1.306 - offset mode
offset voltage - minus 0.010
cpu load line calibration - level 4
IGPU Voltage - +0mv - auto
IGPU VDROOP - with - auto
DRAM voltage 1.500v - auto
PCH voltage voltage - 1.059 -auto
CPU PLL voltage - 1.832v - auto
VTT voltage - 1.051v
VCCSA Voltage 0.925 - auto

ADVANCED CPU configuration.

Processor speed - 4500 mhz
ratio status - full unlocked
ration limit - Max. 255, Min.16

active processor cores - all
hardware prefetcher - enabled
adjacent cache line prefetch - enabled

enhanced halt state (C1E) -enabled
CPU C3 state support - disabled
CPU C6 state support - disabled
package C state support - auto
CPU thermal throttling - enabled

intel virtualization technology - enabled
no execute memory protection - disabled

Well that's everything any replies is well appreciated and thanked in advance ;)  .
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 2:04:27 AM

My notes:

Ok first and foremost, there are two schools of thought to overclocking. Either you 1) Use the standard straight voltage, allow the lowest LLC setting you can, or 2) Use offset voltages and turbo.

Disclaimer = I do not understand the methodology for offset voltage overclocking. I use straight voltage. Some people say that offset overclocking is better for longevity etc.. I like consistency and speed. I expect to get a minimum 5 years out of this CPU, and don't think that running straight voltage will inhibit that at my currenty 4.3GHZ overclock. I could be wrong - but history shows most computers last 5+ years, even when overclocked (safely of course).

If you want to try a straight voltage overclock, I have the following comments. If not, look elsewhere. Hopefully you will have a little help from the below suggestions. Note I made these comments in a hurry and may not have done all inclusive assessment here. I also recommend you find a overclocking guide from someone who use the same make/model of your motherboard for a point of reference.

I suggest you disable PLL Overvoltage
I also disable turbo because I am a straight voltage OC guy.
Disable additional turbo voltage (also applies to straight voltage OC).
Core current limit = be careful there

Offset voltage = for turbo use.
LLC = 3-4, the lowest you can get away with stable is better. Mine is on Medium (which probably equates to your 3)
IGPU = I would disable the IGPU entirely if you can (if you are running a graphics card, which I am guessing you are?)
CPU PLL = I would leave at the standard 1.800V if you can. You have this overclocked, which is neccessary for extremely high overclocks 4.8GHZ + maybe, but you should try to leave it at 1.800V (or lower).

Your temperatures are great, voltages are OK. Although, I am curious what CPU-Z shows your VCORE at during stress testing, because you currently have turbo voltage at "auto" - which means your mobo is probably sending more voltage than the 1.306

If you could use less voltage, you might try to. 1.3V would put my chip above the 90C range during a Prime 95 Large FFT run - But you do have a better cooler than I do.

1.3V is Ok, but know that your overclock is agressive, and things can really get hot at that voltage. Temperatures are your worst problem with ivy bridge. As long as you stay in a "safe" temperature range, your voltages are OK, but you are pushing the high side of "safe" (maybe a little beyond my personal comfort level).

I have sent up to 1.265 voltage to my chip, but during stress testing it was getting too hot for me at 4.4GHZ (mid 80C). So, I backed off to 1.240 for a 4.3GHZ overclock that is very stable. 100MHZ was not worth pushing my chip that hard for my personal overclock.

What do you use to measure temperatures? Core Temp or Real Temp are preferable.
January 9, 2013 2:14:35 PM

Core Temp man and and cpu-z when i was running it I did see my V core hit 1.4 odds sorry for not including that . Anyways I set my bios to default do you think I should try for a lesser overclock and see how that goes?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 10:35:02 PM

Core temp shows VID, not VCORE.
CPU-Z shows VCORE

VID is what your chip is "requesting" based on Intel's recommended voltages for given clock speeds.
VCORE is what voltage your motherboard is delivering to the CPU. A digital multimeter is the best way to test this number, CPU-Z is one of the better software programs to do so.
If you are spiking to 1.4V in CPU-Z, I would say you are sending too much voltage to your chip (on air). Intel says 1.5V is the max, but my personal opinion 1.4V is too much on air.

One last note, I don't know much about OCCT - and it may be great - but I don't trust any stability test program more than I trust Prime 95.

Prime 95 Large FFT gives a really good heavy load to your CPU to test for stability and temperatures. If you use it, watch your temperatures and voltages - consider yourself warned!
January 11, 2013 5:43:15 PM

well i downclocked it to 4.3 ghz set the voltages to default and used the rest of the setting I had on the other overclock, I've ran prime for 8 hours OCCT for 4 hours intel burn test 30 tests and heavy duty gaming on BF3 And ARMA 2 would you consider that stable. And everything on the stress test were at the highest.
!