Sign in with
Your question

OCZ Agility3 on ASUS M3N78-EM motherboard

Last response: in Storage
March 29, 2012 9:33:57 PM

Dear all,
I've bought a 60GB OCZ Agility3 to use as a boot disk, but unfortunately there are same incompatibility on the implementation of AHCI in NVIDIA Chipset of my motherboard (ASUS M3N78-EM) so the SSD doesn't work.

I can't change my motherboard, so I'm considering to buy a SATA3 external controller, I'm looking ASUS U3S6 and ASRock SATA3.

Which is the best choice in terms of compatibility and performance, keeping in mind that the SSD shoul be the boot disk?

thanks for your time
Stefano
a b V Motherboard
a c 307 G Storage
March 29, 2012 10:01:25 PM

I just happen to have the ASUS U3S6 adapter card sitting in a spare parts box. About 2 years ago I experiemented with it. It is not a very good adpater. There are two problems. First, the card uses a very old controller which is slow. Second, for optimal operation the card would need to use 4 channels of a PCI-e 2.0 slot on a motherboard, as in a PCI-e 2.0 x4. Unfortunately the card uses only 1 channel which further restricts performance. The ASRock SATA3 has similar problems.

Neither the ASUS U3S6 nor the ASRock SATA 3 are in production. Both companies stopped manufacturing the cards.
!