[REBATE] Original UPC Code from product package?

kodancer

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I recently bought a GPU which had a rebate on it at newegg. On the form it says to mail the paperwork along with the original UPC code from the product package.

Is this pretty much saying, "tear off the piece of cardboard that has the UPC code from the package?"

Solution

Newegg will not accept the item for RMA either once the UPC symbol is removed from the carton - It even says so on their site !! ( That is one of the reasons they offer so many MIRs in the first place

RMA processing time may vary depending on the product and reason for the return but generally processing time is 2-5 business days once the RMA is received and meet all following criteria:

1. Return with RMA number clearly identified in shipping label or on package.
2. Return with all original equipment, components, manuals, cables...
Just remember - Once you cut the UPC symbol off of the box the product can no longer be returned (which is another reason many companies offer rebates as it gives them the right to refuse a return !) - so best to wait the longest you can to mail in the rebate so you ensure the card is working correctly in case it needs to be returned.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
That is true, but you can typically RMA the item - wouldn't be returning it to a store anyhow most of the time. Most quality manufacturers have a pretty respectable warranty on those items.

Newegg will not accept the item for RMA either once the UPC symbol is removed from the carton - It even says so on their site !! ( That is one of the reasons they offer so many MIRs in the first place

RMA processing time may vary depending on the product and reason for the return but generally processing time is 2-5 business days once the RMA is received and meet all following criteria:

1. Return with RMA number clearly identified in shipping label or on package.
2. Return with all original equipment, components, manuals, cables, documents, packaging.
3. UPC code along with retail package.
4. No physical damage caused by customer or by carrier.
5. Item is NOT out of warranty when it is received.

Notice Line 3 above !! - and yes they will refuse the RMA if the UPC symbol has been removed so make sure you are not going to try to return it before trying to get that $5 - $10 rebate !!

Solution

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I was not specifically talking about RMA to newegg...I would RMA to the manufacturer, not the reseller. The warranty from the manufacturer usually covers it for many years, while newegg usually takes returns/exchanges for a limited time.

And I was doing the same just wanted to make sure they were aware that RMAing to Newegg (since this was where it was bought) would no longer be an option which is why in my first post I mentioned waiting until you are sure it is working properly and will not be being sent back before sending in the Rebate (figure they normally give you 30 days or so from the time the order was placed to postmark the rebate (which is about the amount of time you can return for a refund\exchange to a different brand\product) and it is best to wait until around that time to cut the UPC symbol from the box and send in the Rebate (that way you avoid having problems if it needs to be exchanged\returned shortly after purchase for another brand for example (IF you have to send it to the manufacturer you can only do an exchange\repair for the same exact brand, which is sometimes the cause of the return in the first place. )