Component priority for ageing gamer? Please help!

geezergamer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
At 36. I've come to the sad realization that I'm just not as hyperfocused on games as I used to be. My lvl. 80 Deathknight retired to Orlando over a year ago. That's not to say that I haven't 'prestiged' a couple times in MW2, it's just not all-consuming like it once was.

So, with that in mind, I could use some advice on building my next system. If I'm totally honest, 80% of my time on the computer is spent with 15+ browser windows open, alongside Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iTunes, Thunderbird, and OneNote. But admittedly, the other 20% of my time is spent yelling "Get off my lawn!" as I gun down whippersnappers in MW2 (or trying to follow the plot in Mass Effect 2). And frankly, my HP Pavilion quad 2.60 with 8800GTX and 4GB running Vista does a pretty good job running these games. It's mostly in Vista that I notice slowdown when running multiple programs. My chief motivator for a new system is having a bunch of programs "always on" in Windows 7

So my question to y'all is...where should I place emphasis when I pick out components? I'm thinking that instead of 6GB of Dominator RAM, I'd be better served by 12GB of slightly slower RAM. Instead of a HD 5870, I would be just fine with a 5770 or a GTX260 (or maybe even a GTX275 with 2GB). I suppose that I could always add another card in a couple years when MW3 warrants it. Where I'm really confused is the motherboard, am I correct in thinking that an Asus P6T SE would be plenty?

Thanks for any help!!

geezergamer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Almost forgot...I'm thinking i7 930 as well. But then, if I got a better MB, I suppose I could always upgrade it along with the GPU when the time comes? I like the idea of leaving myself some room to grow...always fun breathing new life into a 2 year old PC.

geezergamer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Absolutely, and with apologies.

Purchase date: next couple weeks.
System usage: covered above.
Parts not required: I'll be using my existing two DVI Samsung monitors (1920x1200 and 1920x1080 HD), keyboard, mouse, speakers.
Preferred parts website: Newegg.com
Parts preference: Intel, longtime NVidia user but increasingly interested in ATI. Open on the rest of it
Overclocking: quite doubtful, as stability and longevity are paramount
Resolution: 1920x1200
Additional comments: this will be under my desk, so case looks unimportant as is sound for the most part.

Thanks!

well you have a budget missing but i'd think a sensible option
will be
i7 930
gigabyte x58 ud3 with usb 3.0 and sata 3 for future copatibility
coolermaster 690 advanced case
antec /corsair 750 watt power supply
ati 5850
and 6gb ram is plenty for non comercial uses but you can always add more later on the main thing is to get good cas latency ram like a cas 7 1600 mhz ram the g.skill pi series is a good deal these days
and a samsung f3 1tb drive should cover it im not too sure but drive space are an induvidual choice

fleecejohnson

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Thanks, that does look good. (My budget is ideally $12-1400 or so.)

The Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R is close in cost to the Asus P6T. Would one be any better than the other for my purposes?

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Probably the best deal on PSU's right now is the Antec True power 750 Its being sold for 69 bucks on Newegg after MIR and 20 dollar off Promo. However it is only going on till the 10th...:(

And Obsidian pretty much nailed a good build it will end up being around 14-15 hundred though.

Also Stay away from Nvidia until the new DX 11 cards are out.

TRENDING THREADS