Sign in with
Your question

Help on cleaning PC!!

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2010 4:25:36 PM

Im thinking of cleaning the interior of my PC...
I searched some websites, saying that I need a can of compressed air. Does this need to bo non-chemical, normal air, or was tat are HFC free, non flammables?

Or if any other easier way of cleaning, feel free to leave a comment.

Cheers.

More about : cleaning

a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2010 4:54:35 PM

Just compressed air, nothing special. Short bursts or it gets super cold. To be honest, I just use my lungs, it's cheaper.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2010 6:25:08 PM

As Jack says, just any can of compressed air.

Notes:

-When cleaning fans, hold the fan blades still and do not let them spin when spraying with air. You could burn out the bearings.
-When using the can of air, keep the can vertical and do NOT move/shake it. If possible, move the component you are cleaning instead (read, "uninstall components for cleaning").

Sometimes, it takes more than just a quick blast of air to clean your components. I use an old toothbrush for these situations (Heatsink fins, fan blades).

Make sure you hit your mothboard slots (RAM/PCI) before re-installing your components.

Don't forget your power supply. It's probably more dusty than any other component.

-Wolf sends
Related resources
March 10, 2010 4:19:29 PM

Just remove your components and fill your bathtub up with Hydrochloric acid (or the works toilet cleaner, same thing). Immerse them, let them dry re install, you should notice a large performance difference.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2010 7:12:44 AM

may1 said:
The problem is, I cannot find any "normal" can of compressed air...
It's either a flammable or non-flammable air duster aerosol spray like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/400ml-Compressed-Air-Duster-Cle...

Will this do???

That's pretty much exactly what you want. Although I don;t think I would pay £3.29 for a can of air. With luck, you can get it for half that. Check any computer store.
March 12, 2010 1:44:38 PM

Yeah will do.

March 12, 2010 2:30:12 PM

Someone care to explain why you would want it flammable ? Seems odd to me.
March 12, 2010 2:45:16 PM

What makes it flammable or non-flammable has to do with the accelerant used in the can. Some compressed air cans actually use a fluorocarbon that is a liquid while under pressure, but it becomes a gas once it is released. Hence, the reason why that can becomes cold after prolonged use is because the change from liquid to gas draws heat energy away from the environment (phase-change).

Personally, I have an air compressor that I use in the garage for air tools and painting that also doubles as my computer dust removal system. I have the added advantage of being able to blow out any dust, even the built-up grime in fans that folks have to take a toothbrush to remove. But canned air works very well for those spot-cleanups also.

For a thorough cleaning, also look at getting some anhydrous isopropyl alcohol and lint-free microfiber cloth.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2010 4:30:49 PM

To each his own, but I wouldn't suggest using an air compressor to clean electronic parts.

Air compressors need to be oiled, and that oil gets in the tank. Build the tank to pressure, then open the valve on the bottom once :) 

I don't think flammable would hurt anything, I clean all my components with isopropyl alcohol too and it's flammable as hell.
March 12, 2010 6:35:53 PM

jack_attack said:
To each his own, but I wouldn't suggest using an air compressor to clean electronic parts.

Air compressors need to be oiled, and that oil gets in the tank. Build the tank to pressure, then open the valve on the bottom once :) 

I don't think flammable would hurt anything, I clean all my components with isopropyl alcohol too and it's flammable as hell.

Some things spark, Highly flammable liquids/gases + electric sparks = Toast?

Ofcourse the chances of this happening is probably so low it wouldn't happen.

I wonder if static charges could ignite these liquids/gases?
March 13, 2010 3:14:39 AM

Well, ths might sound a bit peculiar, so what I do is:
1. Take out ram GPU and any pci cards
2. Get a Hair dryer, set it onto cold (make sure it has a good filter!)
3. Blow down the mobo
4. Blow the chips
5. put them back in.
I know it might sound a bit on the peculiar side, but it works pretty darn well! :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2010 4:35:32 AM

Static surely can ignite flammable liquids, but isoproyl alcohol evaporates so fast, it's not really an issue for me. And, if I am letting of ESD near my machine, I hope it lights on fire real pretty like, I'll have an easier time with the insurance company :) 
March 16, 2010 5:58:21 PM

jack_attack said:

I have a P-trap in the line that eliminates this as an issue. As I said, I use it for painting as well, and oil, moisture or any fluid in the line does not work well if you are doing any airbrush work. So, I use it without any issues.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2010 7:12:56 PM

Good thing. Most people don't use traps on air compressors, just wanted to try and avoid someone spraying gunk all over their mainboard :) 
!