Sign in with
Your question
Closed

8GB DDR3 choice for Gigabyte GA-G41M-COMBO

Last response: in Memory
November 3, 2010 10:01:46 AM

After having my last motherboard die on me I have brought a Gigabyte GA-G41M-COMBO to tie me over until I get a complete new system when Intel releases its new socket 2011 chips. I am looking to give my current system a little boost when using virtual machines (I use them as a sandbox to learn about Microsoft Server and service technologies that I am not allowed to play with at work) so I want to replace my current DDR2 2GB x 2 with DDR3 4GB x 2 (my motherboard is capable of running both DDR2 and DDR3 but not at the same time for those not familiar with it).

I use this machine primarily for Internet surfing, watching videos, virtual machines, playing WOW, Starcraft 2, Fallout 3 and Bioshock. I currently have GSkill DDR2 (http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=45) which is fine (this is my second pair as one of the sticks in my first pair went bad and GSkill was happy to replace it with their lifetime warranty) so I was thinking of going with them again.

My local retailer has the following modules in stock.

GeIL 8G Kit (2x4G) DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9 $200.00
Kingmax 8G(2x4G)PC-10600 1333MHZ DDR3 $200.00
G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1333MHZ PC3-10666 CL9(8GBRL $197.00
Kingston 8GB(2 X 4GB) DDR3-1333MHZ PC10600 $170.00
Mach Xtreme 8GB (2x4G) Copper DDR3 1333Mhz CL9 $170.00
Mushkin 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1333MHZ PC3-10666 SL CL9 $150.00

Which of the above would people recommend (I have checked out gigabytes QVL and I can't seem to find any of then listed)? There is $50 difference between the most and least expensive and I don't really wish to dump a whole heap of money into something I plan on replacing soon but am I best off getting the more expensive RAM over the cheaper stuff? I am looking for stability, I don't care about overclocking I just want to load it in and away I go and have the machine last at least until Intel's 2011 socket stuff is out (this has been the worst PC I have ever owned, learnt my lesson, never get the computer shop to pick parts and build it for you).

Thanks

Best solution

a b } Memory
November 3, 2010 10:07:44 AM

Get the Kingston. Although the GSkill, Mushkin are better brands. At the same cost, the Kingston specs are the best.
a b } Memory
November 3, 2010 4:31:27 PM

Same conclusion, different rationale. The effect of high speed memory is minimal, so why invest more than the minimum when its for a short period of time?

OTOH, if you *knew* the memory you bought now would be useful on your next build, you could take a different approach - ie, buying what you would use in that build.

The Kingston memory is perfectly suitable, and they are a well-known vendor. If you are buying for this mobo only, spend only $170.
Score
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
November 3, 2010 5:11:14 PM

Normally, I pop a few links, graphs, etc. However, in your case since I cannot find RAM that I 100% KNOW will run, I state the following; In short verify with RAM Mfg.

Since neither Corsair or G.SKILL or Crucial or Kingston list Tested RAM, I looked-up Certified RAM that I KNOW will work vs guessing will work. You will be required to run a 64-bit OS {XP, Vista, 7 or Windows Server 2003}

Prior to Purchase - I would STRONGLY recommend that you contact the RAM Mfg. Your GA-G41M-Combo have a very 'unique' DIMM arrangement DDR3 and DDR2 AND you cannot MIX the (2). So as you apparently are aware you need 1333 (OC) or 1066 DDR3 {my preference} 2X4GB - Period.

In general, my first three preferences are Corsair, G.SKILL and Kingston; performance and least 'problems'.

Corsair - http://www.corsair.com/helpdesk/default.aspx

G.SKILL - Technical Support
Global:techsupport@gskill.com
USA:ustech@gskillusa.com (USA Technical support phone number 1-909-598-6860)
Europe:eurotech@gskill.com

Kingston - http://www.kingston.com/support/newsalesform.asp

Certified - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

GA-G41M-Combo (rev. 1.3):
DDR3:
2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 1333(O.C.)/1066/800 MHz memory modules
DDR2:
2 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR2 1066(O.C.)/800/667 MHz memory modules
(Note: Mixed mode, populating DDR2 and DDR3 memory modules simulta- neously is not supported. Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)
(Note 1) Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

Good Luck! :) 
Score
a b } Memory
November 4, 2010 6:28:06 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Get the Kingston. Although the GSkill, Mushkin are better brands. At the same cost, the Kingston specs are the best.

I think i misplaced my words! :) 

I meant at the same specs, the Kingston RAM's are at the best cost!!!
Score
a b } Memory
November 4, 2010 6:40:56 AM

^ Hehe - happens to all of us sooner or later lol.
Score
November 9, 2010 6:47:34 AM

Best answer selected by BWMerlin.
Score
November 9, 2010 6:48:46 AM

Ended up emailing kingston who sent me a link saying that the RAM I had selected was compatible with my motherboard so went and brought it and it fired up straight away. So far no problems.
Score
a b } Memory
April 22, 2012 10:18:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
Score
!