FX-6100 Max at 3.8 Ghz ?

Friznutz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I have been taking much of my time (over 6 hours) attempting to overclock my FX-6100 to 4 Ghz + and it constantly crashes, blue screens or freezes at any over 3.8 Ghz. Even 3.85 GHz will cause problems.
FX-6100 @3.8 GHz/ 1.4v (run at that just in case and have tried lower also)0
I have a 600w StealthXtreme PSU
8gb Microcenter Ram (tested not to be the problem)
Biostar A960 G+ (increases voltage on NB to stop it from crashing when overclocking at all. It use to crash when I was at 3.4 GHz and increasing NB voltage stoped that)
Sapphire 6950 2gb (840/1350)
1tb Seagate HDD
Some old DVD drive :p

I was wondering if the CPU may be the problem and what I can do if it is. If the motherboard is the problem I will be happy to replace it but I don't see any negative reviews on the motherboard saying it wont OC a CPU.

Even at 3.8 GHz it will throttle itself to 1.4 GHz on Prime 95 and other CPU intensive programs like BF3 and will cause serious lag.
I am doubting the PSU is the problem because the GPU is still able to run at max load when the processor is running at max load. I am not willing to buy a new CPU because it was a present and I really don't want to just throw a present away that cost $110 + (free mobo)

If the motherboard is the problem I will buy a T-series Biostar because I have an Intel machine that runs at 4 GHz like butter.

Friznutz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I am using a Hyper 212 Evo with the standard thermal paste. The only things I have changed at this time are the Multiplier and the voltages (changed them around to see if it would help). The timings are at auto and Cool n' Quiet is off.

My motherboard's max Wattage is 95w and am now assuming that is the problem. Since I heard the 6100 can reach 120w while overclocked.

While at 3.8 GHz it will underclock itself under full load for a little bit to 1.4 GHz.

Brian Swartz

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I have the Biostar A760D+ mobo and the FX6100 prossy. My friend ordered the wrong mobo so I bought it from him and built another PC around it and it isn't too shabby. Just thought I would chime in, so I am stable at 4GHz and 1.4125V. Haven't changed anything other than multiplier and voltage and disabled some limiting settings. I do have a Corsair H70 and Coolermaster paste. I disabled the powersaver so my prossy is constant 4GHz and my max temp under load (prime95) is 36C and normal temp of 7.8C. Tried OCing above 4GHz and everything has been unstable...

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

FYI, a cpu cant run under the ambient temperature.

Idle core reading on zambezi processors are BS, for example ambient temp in my room is 21-23c and sometimes my core reading is around 15c @ idle with air ooler.

TRENDING THREADS