Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard with DDR2 and DDR3 support

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2010 11:35:49 AM

I live in India and I am planning to buy a motherboard and processor and for processor I am considering the AMD Phenom II X2 560 BE for the possibility of unlocking the disabled cores and also i dont believe i use a lot of multi core supportive apps..now i need to choose a mobo. But I am caught in two minds to go with DDR2 or DDR3 as i have spare DDR2 512 MB sticks with me and it can be a cost effective choice if i decide for a DDR2 mobo, but i will certainly loose an upgrade edge. So are there any motherboards still out there like MSI 790GX-8D ? i cant find any price listings for that one or similar ones..if somebody can share their thoughts on this, please ..

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 297 V Motherboard
November 3, 2010 12:23:24 PM

Hi cibin4uall and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd go with a mobo that only support DDR2 or DDR3, those mobos aren't very good and only support 8GB DDR2 or 4GB DDR3.
November 3, 2010 12:38:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, in that case i would go for a DDR3 mobo i think...Can you suggest few mid range motherboards that would keep my hopes of unlocking the disabled cores alive and still be something that have its cost in the below $200 range..Also regarding the processor though I am a gamer i am really not much into it nowadays(still i would like to play few at times ), the most intense applications i would be using will be Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 or Adobe Photoshop... as i think the affordable quad cores with lesser clock speeds will be a waste of money , do u think the Phenom II X2 560BE will be an appropriate choice to make?
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2010 12:55:41 PM

saint19 said:
Hi cibin4uall and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd go with a mobo that only support DDR2 or DDR3, those mobos aren't very good and only support 8GB DDR2 or 4GB DDR3.

+1
m
l
November 3, 2010 12:58:22 PM

Thanks plumble...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 297 V Motherboard
November 3, 2010 3:48:53 PM

cibin4uall said:
Thanks for the reply, in that case i would go for a DDR3 mobo i think...Can you suggest few mid range motherboards that would keep my hopes of unlocking the disabled cores alive and still be something that have its cost in the below $200 range..Also regarding the processor though I am a gamer i am really not much into it nowadays(still i would like to play few at times ), the most intense applications i would be using will be Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 or Adobe Photoshop... as i think the affordable quad cores with lesser clock speeds will be a waste of money , do u think the Phenom II X2 560BE will be an appropriate choice to make?

You can see here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... the full list of AMD mobos I suggest to u a 890GX, 880G or 870 chipset mobo.
m
l
November 4, 2010 11:54:19 AM

Thanks a lot for your inputs....I am learning a lot about chipsets and what each spec stands for, heavy work for me...:) .. the sad part is not every motherboard will be available here for me...Anyway i have narrowed down the search to ASUS M4A88T-V EVO (AMD 880G/SB710 ) , i think this is the best board for me , has 1 ATA for my old ide drives, has 128 MB dedicated DDR3 onboard for some graphics ..what do u the guys think?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 297 V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 12:52:37 PM

Looks like a solid mobo, what other options do u have?
m
l
December 10, 2010 4:38:50 AM

Thanks for all the guys who have helped. I bought ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE, Kingston 2 GB DDR3, CM 500W PSU, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.12. it was my first build and it seems everything is working fine. Little tight on budget now, will have to get a better Case(may be CM Elite 430 black ) and a budget CPU cooler as I am planning to overclock later on...
m
l
December 20, 2010 7:12:59 AM

Best answer selected by cibin4uall.
m
l
!