Building Gaming/Entertainment System rig

Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a system that will allow me to game online with decent framerates (30fps+) at medium-high settings, no over the top games, just COD4-MW2, AvP and maybe a RPG or MMORPG like Dragon Age or WoW.

What I also want to do is make a Movies + TV system out of it so I can do everything (no pun intented) in my bedroom, I'm actually considering in buying a mini fridge so I never have to leave it, oh and a microwave for hot pockets, LOL.

I'm not very experienced in building rigs, I've tried to put together a few components and wanted your opinion, I plan on overclocking the processor but there's a couple of things I'm stuck on.

I don't know what RAM to get? Most 1600 ram I look up says it's suitable for i5/i7 but with AMD boards I will have to tweak settings on bios, which I'm not very comfortable with?

Any better screen then the Asus? I didn't really (can't afford more then $300) and I like the 1900x1200 resolution

Is that motherboard + processor combo easy for overclocking?

Do you think that case would be good enough to make the system not so noisy? I have an Antec 900 atm and because it has so much Mesh material in it, it sounds like a jet turbine and I really wanted to build a silent PC this time

Please recommend the cheapest decent pair of speakers possible as I can't really afford to buy a good set up atm but I do plan on getting a 5.1 set if my bedroom hermit plan goes through.

So yeah apart from that I just need the RAM and that would be $1200 which I think it's pretty good considering the monitor is so expensive, if anyone has any suggestions to change anything I'd really apreciate it. I'm just going to buy a cheap mouse and keyboard.

Thanks a lot,
1 answer Last reply
More about building gaming entertainment system
  1. If RAM will work with Intel boards/systems, then it will work with AMD systems no problem. The reason they say that it was specifically designed for Intel systems is because Intel CPUs can get damaged by RAM with voltage greater than 1.65V, so RAM manufacturers have to make sure their RAM sets dont exceed this number and then the marketing department just take advantage of the fact that the engineers had to do something.
    I don't know what the Bios tweaking is about, sounds like nonsense apart from that many people think you should set the settings for the RAM in the bios anyway, so that you know it is performing at it's rated settings, which you paid for.
    And there's nothing to be worried about with RAM bios settings.
    Anyway, here's what looks like the cheapest/highest performing set of RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 (7-8-7-20) 1.65V $131.50
    There are some good G.Skill sets cheaper than that, which had higher latencies, but really low voltages which makes them ideal overclockers.
    That mobo/cpu combo should be pretty good for easy overclocking.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems