Screen Artifacts and Flickering with new GTX 295

DemonWulf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Here's my problem. I was running a Quadro 3700 video card for 3d applications, and have recently upgraded to a BFG GTX 295 about a week ago. At first I just wiped my drivers and installed the new card and latest drivers but my problems started / continued. With my old video card (one that isn't optimized for gaming) did have problems once in a while where the screen would freeze for a moment, and then I was getting tearing and artifacts all over my screen until I restarted the computer. I figured this was because of the workstation card. Now, with my new video card, this issue does creep up once in a while, although not as often. I ended up re-installing windows and installed the drivers again. One issue is that while playing World of Warcraft the ground planes flicker (and even at the lowest resolution and all effects turned off or all the way down, the problem persists). Its not always constant, but it frequently happens and is very distracting, and once in a while I will get the screen artifacts forcing a restart (it continues in windows after it occurs). Also, when playing Modern Warfare 2, the game would crash once in a while either causing something similar, or causing some sort of Dirext X Present error (I can post the log of the error soon once I get it again).

The wierd thing is, my roomate has the same Tower and Video Card as well as Windows 7. We do have different motherboards, Ram, and hard drives, so I was thinking I could rule out a heat issue (we shall see I guess). I was wondering if I could get some advice on what might be causing these issues. I don't think its the new video card, but I could be wrong (which if that is the case, I need to find out ASAP). If you need any additional information, I would be glad to post it. I am going to be replacing most of my computer within a month or two, but I would like to figure this out now. Thank you for the assistance.

PSU: Corsair 750W
CPU: Intel Q6600
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 8 GB DDR2 RAM
VIDEO CARD: BFG GTX 295 (updated to lastest driver)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
HARD DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SAT

DemonWulf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Alright, so far I've played Modern Warfare 2 a bit, and I've gotten a Maximum CPU temp of 67/62/55 although it held around 50 C on average. As for the GPU, it was about 78 while actually playing the game with a max temp of around 81 C which seems pretty high.

That is normal for G200 boards but try turning the fan speed up to get the temps at or near 70c. If two cards are acting up then something isn't good. I would ask your friend or who ever if you could test your two cards. If they work with out issue then it must be either the board or the psu.