Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAID 0 and SATA 6Gb/s

Last response: in Motherboards
November 3, 2010 11:43:31 AM

I'm still kind of a newb at this but this will be my second build. I'm trying to choose the best motherboard and I think I've found one I like (ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0) but I notice that in the specifications it lists:

SATA 3.0 Gb/s: RAID 0,1,5,10

This Mobo has two SATA III 6.0 Gb/s ports, and six SATA II 3.0 Gb/s.

Does this mean either A) I can't use the two 6.0 Gb/s ports in a RAID 0 stripe or perhaps B) I can run a RAID 0 stripe through those ports but each drive will only get 3Gb/s max transfer?

I was planning to get a pair of 6.0 Gb/s Crucial SSDs and run them in a RAID 0 stripe, but if I'm understanding this correctly then my question becomes whether I might be better off getting one big SSD and foregoing RAID altogether.

I have seen at least one GIGABYTE Mobo that explicitly claims SATA 6.0 Gb/s RAID 0/1, but overall some of the other features don't add up as well (I think).

I'd appreciate any advice or constructive crticism you guys can offer; thanks in advance.

More about : raid sata 6gb

Best solution

a c 715 V Motherboard
November 3, 2010 12:33:03 PM

Just so we don't confuse others or yourself SATA 3 Gb/s = SATA2 {300 MB/s / device} Interface; SATA 6 Gb/s = SATA3 {600 MB/s / device} Interface and has zip to do with the SSD/HDD/HHD Read/Write speeds. Currently the FASTEST SATA3 SSD 'peaks' ~ 320 MB/s. To achieve 6.0 Gb/s is HAL 9000 Space Odyssey.

REF - ASUS Rampage III Formula - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=tdsVoxzsToHRsCro

No SATA3 on-board RAID support, the Marvell SATA3 on the R3F does not have the support. Assuming you are referring the Crucial C300 128GB+ {64 GB has horrible write; doesn't justify using SATA3}. Only the SATA2 Intel ICH10R supports RAID {0,1,5,10}.

Therefore, IF you want SATA3 RAID {0,1} then you'll either need: 1. Different MOBO; 2. Dedicated RAID Controller; 3. Use the negligibly slower SATA2 ICH10R which is a much better choice for RAID anyway.

LSI & HighPoint has a few that will work; you'll need a minimum of (2) internal SATA3 & whatever RAID you need plus verify your PCIe interface {some of these are for servers}. My assumption is you want 'cheap' and I don't recommend 'cheap.'

Link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Edit: BTW - the C300's run plenty fast on the SATA2 Interface.
November 4, 2010 1:19:28 AM

jaquith said:
Just so we don't confuse others or yourself SATA 3 Gb/s = SATA2 {300 MB/s / device} Interface; SATA 6 Gb/s = SATA3 {600 MB/s / device} Interface and has zip to do with the SSD/HDD/HHD Read/Write speeds. Currently the FASTEST SATA3 SSD 'peaks' ~ 320 MB/s. To achieve 6.0 Gb/s is HAL 9000 Space Odyssey.

REF - ASUS Rampage III Formula - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=tdsVoxzsToHRsCro

No SATA3 on-board RAID support, the Marvell SATA3 on the R3F does not have the support. Assuming you are referring the Crucial C300 128GB+ {64 GB has horrible write; doesn't justify using SATA3}. Only the SATA2 Intel ICH10R supports RAID {0,1,5,10}.

Therefore, IF you want SATA3 RAID {0,1} then you'll either need: 1. Different MOBO; 2. Dedicated RAID Controller; 3. Use the negligibly slower SATA2 ICH10R which is a much better choice for RAID anyway.

LSI & HighPoint has a few that will work; you'll need a minimum of (2) internal SATA3 & whatever RAID you need plus verify your PCIe interface {some of these are for servers}. My assumption is you want 'cheap' and I don't recommend 'cheap.'

Link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Edit: BTW - the C300's run plenty fast on the SATA2 Interface.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I do understand the difference between read/write speeds and the interface, but it looks like a SATA2 interface would be a bit of a bottleneck. However, I hadn't considered how small the advantage would be of using a SATA3 RAID in quite the way you put it. That's interesting.

On the other hand, unlike you I don't build 2-3 rigs per month. This will be my second build, and it's been the better part of three years since my last. You were wrong about one thing - I'm not looking for "cheap". I'm thinking as much about "future-proofing" as anything, and I'll spend whatever it takes (within reason) to set up the rig I have in mind. Bottlenecks are very frumple.

Thanks again the feedback and recommendations.
Related resources
November 4, 2010 1:22:08 AM

Best answer selected by Clive Staples.
a c 715 V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 11:35:08 AM

Also, 'most' people do not install their game data on the SSD and instead place it on the HDD - completely defeating the SSD, but 'if' you did and ran the for comparisons the RAID 0 SSD on the SATA2 vs SATA3 you could not perceive the differences; 3.1 sec vs 3.25 seconds.

The MOST IMPORTANT is the GPU <-> PCIe <-> CPU <-> RAM speeds & computations; unlike the SSD those 4 parts of your 'experience' gaming / computations are where it all at and 'they' get hammed but good in the 'hours' of gaming.

BTW - ICH10R is more 'mature' i.e. stable in comparison to the Marvell; RAID 0 is an all or nothing {1/2 Data = 0 Data}.

Good Luck on your Build! Great components! :) 
!