Solved

RAID 0 and SATA 6Gb/s

I'm still kind of a newb at this but this will be my second build. I'm trying to choose the best motherboard and I think I've found one I like (ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0) but I notice that in the specifications it lists:

SATA 3.0 Gb/s: RAID 0,1,5,10

This Mobo has two SATA III 6.0 Gb/s ports, and six SATA II 3.0 Gb/s.

Does this mean either A) I can't use the two 6.0 Gb/s ports in a RAID 0 stripe or perhaps B) I can run a RAID 0 stripe through those ports but each drive will only get 3Gb/s max transfer?

I was planning to get a pair of 6.0 Gb/s Crucial SSDs and run them in a RAID 0 stripe, but if I'm understanding this correctly then my question becomes whether I might be better off getting one big SSD and foregoing RAID altogether.

I have seen at least one GIGABYTE Mobo that explicitly claims SATA 6.0 Gb/s RAID 0/1, but overall some of the other features don't add up as well (I think).

I'd appreciate any advice or constructive crticism you guys can offer; thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about raid sata
  1. Best answer
    Just so we don't confuse others or yourself SATA 3 Gb/s = SATA2 {300 MB/s / device} Interface; SATA 6 Gb/s = SATA3 {600 MB/s / device} Interface and has zip to do with the SSD/HDD/HHD Read/Write speeds. Currently the FASTEST SATA3 SSD 'peaks' ~ 320 MB/s. To achieve 6.0 Gb/s is HAL 9000 Space Odyssey.

REF - ASUS Rampage III Formula - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=tdsVoxzsToHRsCro

No SATA3 on-board RAID support, the Marvell SATA3 on the R3F does not have the support. Assuming you are referring the Crucial C300 128GB+ {64 GB has horrible write; doesn't justify using SATA3}. Only the SATA2 Intel ICH10R supports RAID {0,1,5,10}.

Therefore, IF you want SATA3 RAID {0,1} then you'll either need: 1. Different MOBO; 2. Dedicated RAID Controller; 3. Use the negligibly slower SATA2 ICH10R which is a much better choice for RAID anyway.

LSI & HighPoint has a few that will work; you'll need a minimum of (2) internal SATA3 & whatever RAID you need plus verify your PCIe interface {some of these are for servers}. My assumption is you want 'cheap' and I don't recommend 'cheap.'

Link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&srchInDesc=6gb/s&Description=raid%20controller%20card&page=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Edit: BTW - the C300's run plenty fast on the SATA2 Interface.
  2. jaquith said:
    Just so we don't confuse others or yourself SATA 3 Gb/s = SATA2 {300 MB/s / device} Interface; SATA 6 Gb/s = SATA3 {600 MB/s / device} Interface and has zip to do with the SSD/HDD/HHD Read/Write speeds. Currently the FASTEST SATA3 SSD 'peaks' ~ 320 MB/s. To achieve 6.0 Gb/s is HAL 9000 Space Odyssey.

REF - ASUS Rampage III Formula - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=tdsVoxzsToHRsCro

No SATA3 on-board RAID support, the Marvell SATA3 on the R3F does not have the support. Assuming you are referring the Crucial C300 128GB+ {64 GB has horrible write; doesn't justify using SATA3}. Only the SATA2 Intel ICH10R supports RAID {0,1,5,10}.

Therefore, IF you want SATA3 RAID {0,1} then you'll either need: 1. Different MOBO; 2. Dedicated RAID Controller; 3. Use the negligibly slower SATA2 ICH10R which is a much better choice for RAID anyway.

LSI & HighPoint has a few that will work; you'll need a minimum of (2) internal SATA3 & whatever RAID you need plus verify your PCIe interface {some of these are for servers}. My assumption is you want 'cheap' and I don't recommend 'cheap.'

Link - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&srchInDesc=6gb/s&Description=raid%20controller%20card&page=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Edit: BTW - the C300's run plenty fast on the SATA2 Interface.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I do understand the difference between read/write speeds and the interface, but it looks like a SATA2 interface would be a bit of a bottleneck. However, I hadn't considered how small the advantage would be of using a SATA3 RAID in quite the way you put it. That's interesting.

On the other hand, unlike you I don't build 2-3 rigs per month. This will be my second build, and it's been the better part of three years since my last. You were wrong about one thing - I'm not looking for "cheap". I'm thinking as much about "future-proofing" as anything, and I'll spend whatever it takes (within reason) to set up the rig I have in mind. Bottlenecks are very frumple.

Thanks again the feedback and recommendations.
  3. Best answer selected by Clive Staples.
  4. Also, 'most' people do not install their game data on the SSD and instead place it on the HDD - completely defeating the SSD, but 'if' you did and ran the for comparisons the RAID 0 SSD on the SATA2 vs SATA3 you could not perceive the differences; 3.1 sec vs 3.25 seconds.

The MOST IMPORTANT is the GPU <-> PCIe <-> CPU <-> RAM speeds & computations; unlike the SSD those 4 parts of your 'experience' gaming / computations are where it all at and 'they' get hammed but good in the 'hours' of gaming.

BTW - ICH10R is more 'mature' i.e. stable in comparison to the Marvell; RAID 0 is an all or nothing {1/2 Data = 0 Data}.

Good Luck on your Build! Great components! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards NAS / RAID SATA Product