Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 random BSOD

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2010 5:40:26 PM

Hello everyone, I built a new system on jan 1 and it has been functioning well with no problems at all. After 1 month of building random BSOD started showing up. And not only when gaming, even when on desktop. Like opening MSN window sometimes triggered, or even when doing nothing.
I am sure it is not temperature related. I monitor them at all times.
Here is the parts list:
Intel E7500, 2x2gb dual Patriot 1066mhz ddr2 RAM, gigabyte EP45 UD3LR mobo, Zotac gtx260 amp2 factory oc'ed, Sound Blaster X-Fi Gamer, Aspire 550W PSU. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.

The build was not changed when BSOD started.
*I use microsoft security essentials so I disabled it, no change.
*I ran Memtest 4.00 and Microsoft mem diagnosis, no errors, still getting BSOD.

There is one thing I suspect and I dont have enough knowledge about it. I realized I didnt pay attention that my patriot RAMs needed 2.1V and my mobo stated 1.8V RAMs. However BIOS shows that RAMs get 2.0X Voltage so I am not quite sure about it.
I don't have any ideas so I am all ears. Thanks all.

Here's the direct link to error codes and their descriptions
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3340/minidumps.jpg

More about : windows random bsod

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2010 5:44:24 PM

You need to go into BIOS and change the RAM settings to the exact manufacturer's specifications. BSODs are almost always caused by bad RAM or improper RAM settings.

After setting everything correctly, download MemTest86+ and burn it to a CD. Set the computer to boot from the CD, restart, and let it run overnight.
March 9, 2010 6:18:56 PM

Id say the same, Ram related, as when something else begins to use ram (such as opening windows live messenger) it causes the BSOD's.

I have no idea about those error codes etc.

but if your manufacturer settings for the ram says 2.1, it should be 2.1.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2010 6:32:23 PM

MadAdmiral and lindley010 are both right. We get multiple posts about BSOD's every day. The resolution to the vast majority of these problems is manually setting the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the correct values in the BIOS. Your motherboard owners manual will tell you where to go to change the values.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2010 6:35:17 PM

Thanks for posting.
Okay I saw before rebooting I realized Everest said the RAM's were already set at 2.1V and 533MHz. So that's OK. Then in BIOS I saw they were getting 2.096 at PC Health Status. I also saw that the DRAM was set at Auto but I overrid it to 2.100V myself to be sure. One more thing is I ran the benchmark for memory in Everest before and after and the results are almost same. I guess there is nothing else but to wait now. We'll see together what happens next.
edit: Also again in Everest it stated the timings were 5-5-5-15 and they are exactly as they should be. I hope it was just because of this.
I should also inform you that I built the whole system myself picking pieces from their boxes so if I were to change any settings in BIOS for my build I might have missed that.

Another edit: As I mentioned my RAMs state to work at 5-5-5-15 timing so I considered to adjust them manually as well. But one thing puzzles me. There is this sentence in the RAM's manual:
"So 5-5-5-15 settings will translate to the following: tCL=2 tRCD=3 tRP=2 tRAS=5"

I was going to manually set 5 5 5 and 15 into the relavant places but what does this sentence mean? So I left it at Auto and came back.

Sorry but one more thing is that there is this feature of my motherboard under DRAM Performance Control -> "Performance Enhance" -Allows the system to operate at three different performance levels. This was the info on the manual. The settings are Standart, Turbo and Extreme. Turbo is the default so do you suggest I change that to Standart as well?

Actually I am not a newbie about computers especially hardware itself but this timings and voltages are what I am not so knowledged about. Thanks for everything
!