Sign in with
Your question

Can a HD die after stopping a VPN client installation in the middle?

Last response: in Storage
March 30, 2012 2:08:40 AM

Hi,

I tried to install a Checkpoint VPN Client on my laptop, and since it looked like the installation was stuck (during the installation initialization) I canceled it and restarted windows (I think I needed to force explorer.exe for windows to close).
It happened to me 3-4 times in the past that the laptop became very slow and I had to restart it.
However, after this specific restart, the HD was ruined; windows couldn't load, and when booting from the DVD drive I couldn't copy any files to an external HD and all recovery tools that I tried got stuck as well.

Could it be that the failed VPN installation (or stopping it in the middle) is the reason for my ruined HD? I heard that stopping a VPN installation in the middle can be harmful.

Thanks!
March 30, 2012 4:50:03 AM

No. Drive is bad. You're best bet is to call the maker of the hard drive for support. You have it in reverse - the reason why the installation failed is because the drive is bad.

danglam said:
Hi,

I tried to install a Checkpoint VPN Client on my laptop, and since it looked like the installation was stuck (during the installation initialization) I canceled it and restarted windows (I think I needed to force explorer.exe for windows to close).
It happened to me 3-4 times in the past that the laptop became very slow and I had to restart it.
However, after this specific restart, the HD was ruined; windows couldn't load, and when booting from the DVD drive I couldn't copy any files to an external HD and all recovery tools that I tried got stuck as well.

Could it be that the failed VPN installation (or stopping it in the middle) is the reason for my ruined HD? I heard that stopping a VPN installation in the middle can be harmful.

Thanks!

March 30, 2012 11:14:44 AM

xxsk8er101xx said:
No. Drive is bad. You're best bet is to call the maker of the hard drive for support. You have it in reverse - the reason why the installation failed is because the drive is bad.

Thanks!
!