Sign in with
Your question

How to overclock my i5 3450?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 8, 2013 3:57:48 AM

Intel says I can overclock it to 3.5ghz, stock speed is 3.1ghz. My MOBO chipset is b75.
I have never overclocked anything before, so I need someone to tell me how or a guide >:

More about : overclock 3450

a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 4:16:09 AM

With the B75 chip set you cannot change any multipliers or the bclk.
The i5 3450 has a multiplier limit of 39 for a max OC of 3.9ghz. You can only access the multiplier or bvlk if you have a z75 or z75 chip set.
m
l
January 8, 2013 4:31:50 AM

stickmansam is right. You probably don't need to overclock your cpu anyway if it's for general use and games
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 4:42:56 AM

a small correction:
the B75 chipset DOES support adjusting the Bclk. however ti really isn't adivsable to raise it much more than a few % (~3%-5%). anything more can lead to system instability since it also affects the RAM and pci-e (graphics) speed.

and 3%-5% really isn't worth it. even at stock the i5-3450 is with in the top handful of gaming cpus; behind sandy-e, K series and the i5-3470.

edit:
well well well lookie here . a B75 motherboard supporting adjusting the turbo speed:
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:53:50 AM

So how would I go about overclocking it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 5:56:54 AM

My mind has been blown XD I thought BCLK was locked on the B75 and H77 chipsets but I guess not. As mentioned, you can OC using that alot anyways. Hmm the video only shows the ability to change the turbo multiplier. I know you can change it down but I don't think you can make it higher than it already is (maybe someone with more info/first hand experience can correct me if I'm wrong).

m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 6:05:24 AM

HostileSnack said:

Well for Bclk you can just try turning it to 101 and testing it and so on and so forth. You can test stability by using Intel Burn Test or Prime95 LargeFFT's.
Does your motherboard support voltage controls? What is your motherbaord model?
Generally though I would say overclocking using the BCLK is not worth it. 3-5% performance increase while placing more stress on everything (IMC, RAM, CPU, etc.) I found this guide here to overclocking.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1649...

You might want to invest in a cheap aftermarket cooler like the 212+ or even the Zalman CNPSX5 since they are quite a bit better than the stock cooler. I would even grab one of those even if you're at stock settings since at full load, they will keep the cpu cool and allow it to turbo higher and more often. The stock cooler can't even run prime95 without overheating.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 8:53:02 AM

HostileSnack said:

what blew my mind in that video is that you can adjust the turbo boost. i cannot in my asus p8H67-V i can just adjust the Bclk - so i am a little jelly.

the question is what B75 motherboard do you have an what options do you have in the BIOS? if you can adjust the multipliers for turboboost then you are able to increase it with the load on the cpu. (watch video again)

BUT keep in mind that the cpu will do this on its own and adjusting the turbo multi is really only keeping your cpu running at top speed all the time; not any type of performance enhancement.
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:01:28 AM

I'd say it's not worth the time to do it. Why would you even want to overclock anyway?
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 9:07:21 AM

EzioAs said:
I'd say it's not worth the time to do it. Why would you even want to overclock anyway?

please refer to rule #1 of overclocking

#1) because you can.
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:17:39 AM

Anonymous said:
please refer to rule #1 of overclocking

#1) because you can.

Well maybe he can but minimal base clocks adjustment aren't going to do much. He won't get much if any significant improvements at all. There's stress test to be done afterwards which will take hours. I still say it's not worth it
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 9:21:54 AM

EzioAs said:
Well maybe he can but minimal base clocks adjustment aren't going to do much. He won't get much if any significant improvements at all. There's stress test to be done afterwards which will take hours. I still say it's not worth it

and the satisfaction of doing it is worth it . . btw, you've done this yourself?

nevermind.
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:29:59 AM

Anonymous said:
and the satisfaction of doing it is worth it . . btw, you've done this yourself?

nevermind.

I have overclocked my 3570K to 4.5GHz before and it pass 12+ hours prime95 blend. I just did it to see whether I can reach it and I was quite satisfied. Ran a couple benchmarks afterwards, some saw improvement, others none as expected. In the end I set everything back to stock settings because there was not a single significant enough improvement for me to be overclocking right now. Maybe I'll revisit it again 1-2 years later when I can feel and know that my cpu is bottlenecking some programs or games.
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 9:49:35 AM

EzioAs said:
I have overclocked my 3570K to 4.5GHz before and it pass 12+ hours prime95 blend. I just did it to see whether I can reach it and I was quite satisfied. Ran a couple benchmarks afterwards, some saw improvement, others none as expected. In the end I set everything back to stock settings because there was not a single significant enough improvement for me to be overclocking right now. Maybe I'll revisit it again 1-2 years later when I can feel and know that my cpu is bottlenecking some programs or games.

you completely missed my point as i was inclined you would. (my nevermind comment)

it easy to do something like overclocking a K version cpu. because, well, ANYBODY can. but take something that isn't suppose to be done and do it well is a sense of statisfaction that cannot be achieved by doing the norm.

you speak of hours . . :lol:  lets talk DAYS of tweaking front side speeds, voltages (not just of Vcore but PLL for instance), RAM timings, and a handful of other things . .just for 5% more speed. let alone the time spent reading and discussing on a forum(s) with like mined people.

not for benchmarking, not for a difference in gaming but strictly and only because it can be done.

sorry bud, you cannot compare adjusting the multi on an i5 with that. . now have a good day.
m
l
March 3, 2014 8:53:20 PM

For a similar i5-3470, the base speed is 3.2GHz and one core turbo to 3.6GHz. When overclock this way 4 bins higher to 4GHz, how does the 4 cores behave? Do they ALL operate at 4GHz all the time? Or the base speed will turbo from 3.2GHz to 4GHz (instead of 3.6GHz)?
m
l
!