Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 64 3400+ has had its day

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2010 6:56:11 PM

hi
first post, nice to meet u all.

i've realised that my 5 year old rig has finally had its day.
its a Packard Bell Imedia 1517
(athlon 64 3400+ cpu/200gb hdd)

and since i bought it i've upgraded the following:

ATI HD4670 GPU
550W PSU
3 GB RAM
Audigy 2 soundcard

the problem is that the single processor athlon 64 3400+ just cant handle modern games.
i need at least dual processors but am certain that the MOBO i have wont actually work with dual.

so i'm wondering if its possible for me to get a new mobo and dual cpu (maybe id need a new case too?) and slot in my current hardware?

basically i want to play bfbc2 :) 

thanks

More about : athlon 3400 day

March 9, 2010 9:11:40 PM

You mean you need a dual core CPU. However, if you upgrade, you may only be able to reuse the video card and audio card. The video card, it might need upgrading soon. The sound card, if you get a new motherboard, you might not need it any more.

You might want to upgrade to the AM3 slot Phenom II processors. They use DDR3, so the memory can't be reused. I'm not if your PSU has the required connectors, but you might be able to reuse that if it does.

Unless you get another microATX motherboard, then yes, you might need a new case. The case that your system has is only large enough for microATX-sized motherboards.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2010 10:27:38 PM

It's socket 939, so you can use dual core CPUs, but it will be pretty darn expensive to get a socket 939 dual core. Just build a new system.
Related resources
March 9, 2010 11:17:31 PM

thanks for the replies

i'm a poor full time student hence the penny pinching!
can i re-use my hard drive and OS? excuse my noobiness - but i was hoping if i keep the hard drive my installed progs would be ok?

basically i need to reuse as much as possible.

more specs:

Drives
193.59 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
27.17 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

FC6190W CMB728N SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N [CD-ROM drive]
ZEH VSLMV8P6B4XM SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST3200826A [Hard drive] (200.05 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5ND1HJ2H, rev 3.03, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
3056 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB

my psu specs:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=256543
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2010 11:28:38 PM

Unfortunately, if you connect the hard drive to a new motherboard, you will most likely need to reformat/re-install the OS (and all your programs). If you think you can get lucky on eBay (never tried, I don't trust it), you can probably pick up a new/used dual-core socket 939 processor (X2-3800/4200) for $50-$80, but before you even try, make ABSOLUTELY sure your motherboard can use a dual-core processor.

-Wolf sends

a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2010 12:46:13 AM

Lucky you found this.

Quote:
Support AMD Sempron, Athlon 64 and Athlon 64FX processors.

No mention of X2 dual-core processors. Guess you're back to a core system replacement. Sorry.

-Wolf sends
a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2010 5:00:05 AM

I'd go for a micro ATX motherboard, RAM, and CPU and literally reuse the rest. You will have to reinstall an OS though, so back stuff up first and whatnot.

It may be cheapest to go for 2 gigs of DDR2 and a older DDR2 motherboard, along with a athlon II x3. Then sell the mobo/CPU as a combo on ebay and the old RAM separately. I'm only saying this because you're on a shoestring budget, and are unlikely to drop in a faster CPU anyway. (at least until after AM3 I'd bet)
March 10, 2010 11:12:57 AM

False_Dmitry_II said:
I'd go for a micro ATX motherboard, RAM, and CPU and literally reuse the rest. You will have to reinstall an OS though, so back stuff up first and whatnot.

It may be cheapest to go for 2 gigs of DDR2 and a older DDR2 motherboard, along with a athlon II x3. Then sell the mobo/CPU as a combo on ebay and the old RAM separately. I'm only saying this because you're on a shoestring budget, and are unlikely to drop in a faster CPU anyway. (at least until after AM3 I'd bet)

thanks.

could i use the 3gb ram i currently have in a new micro atx mobo?
i'm a bit confused tbh!

so, lets say i'm going to get a new motherboard and (dual core) cpu - any recommendations?

what about the case? i have no idea if the one i have will support a new motherboard?

and then i can re-install the hard drive, psu, gpu, soundcard and disc drive?

btw here are the specs of the game i want to run:

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or higher
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: 512 MB Video Card (GeForce GTX 260/ ATI Radeon 4870)
Controller Support: Support for Logitech G15 and G19 keyboard LCDs in multiplayer

Minimum:
Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: 256 MB Video Card (GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900)
DirectX®: DirectX 9, 10, and 11 support
Hard Drive: 15 GB

a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2010 2:41:41 PM

Quote:
could i use the 3gb ram i currently have in a new micro atx mobo?
i'm a bit confused tbh!

No. The ram you currently have is 184-pin DDR memory. What you'd need on a new motherboard is 240-Pin DDR2 or DDR3 memory.

Quote:
so, lets say i'm going to get a new motherboard and (dual core) cpu - any recommendations?

I'll let others make recommendations. I know you're on a shoestring budget, but you've not said exactly how much you have to spend.

Quote:
what about the case? i have no idea if the one i have will support a new motherboard?

I'd be a bit leery using a proprietary case. I tried it once and the front USB port/power cables could not be connected to the new motherboard's USB ports

Quote:
and then i can re-install the hard drive, psu, gpu, soundcard and disc drive?

Yes and no. Most newer motherboards have only one IDE port which limits you to only two IDE components (Hard Drive and CD/DVD Drives). Given the age of your system, it's reasonable to assume most (if not all) your drives are IDE.

Looking at the minumum specs of the game you want to play, you can get by with your current graphics card and reusing your sound card may take a bit of load off of your CPU.

-Wolf sends
a b B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2010 3:02:14 AM

It looked like it should be a fairly standard case. I did the same thing with an a810n computer and made it into a secondary computer. (though I did buy a new SATA drive, because I sold the hard drive along with the rest)

The only thing that doesn't work is the audio plugs in the front. The USB and everything else was fine. The fact that he bought a standard new power supply is further stuff saying it's likely fine.

As long as you get a 780g or 785g motherboard it should be fine, since it seems to be a microATX case. Just keep in mind that things might pop up and you may have to spend more for some things, like wolf was mentioning you may have to get a new hard drive to move to SATA.

I recommend to do what I was saying.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
then look for athlon ii x3 on that site, and then get 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM.

Then sell off stuff like I was saying, you should get about $80 all told for the old stuff the way I said to split it.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2010 4:24:36 AM

$180ish w/o that GTS 250 hehe
March 11, 2010 9:38:18 AM

hey
thanks for all the advice.
as you can tell, i know nothing about computer tech, besides what i've had to learn when replacing parts.

i was surfin ebay last night and noticed a few AM2 mobos and duo core CPU's that are low priced - i wonder if that would serve my purpose?

from what i've learnt here it seems AM2 was the tech before AM3 which is quite recent (tho AM2 is more advanced than 939 which i currently have)
- have i got that right?

oh, budget wise, i guess i can spend around £100 (more if i get in debt).
i'm in england btw.

again, thank you so much fro all the help :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2010 3:44:46 PM

If starting afresh i'd really go with an entry level DDR3 platform hehe
a b B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2010 7:23:17 PM

Sure, but if you aren't likely going to add anything within a year or two after doing this, then don't bother going up to AM3.

Depending on the CPU it could utilize all of a HD 4670. In my secondary computer I've got a 4600+ x2 with one of those and it's doing pretty good.
March 12, 2010 12:39:48 AM

thanks.
maybe you can help with an issue i'm experiencing also?
whilst playing left 4 dead 2 i often get a hard freeze of whatever is on the screen and the comp is totally unresponsive (i noticed my modem light was flashing on and off too meaning it wasnt working)

i have been monitoring with 'everest' and 'speedfan' and it seems have very high temps:

pc idle:

gpu temp 51c

cpu temp 60c
ambient 41c
remote 38c
HD0 44c
core 45c

fan 1 1689 rpm
fan 2 0 rpm
fan 3 0 rpm
fan 4 0 rpm

pc ingame with cpu 100% usage:

gpu temp 68c

cpu temp 65-69c
ambient 43c
remote 42c
HD0 45c
core 52c

fan 1 2835 rpm
other fans again 0

would i be right in thinking i need to cool my system down?

thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
March 12, 2010 6:05:15 AM

That's not high enough to cause that. And if it was the usual behavior for heat problems is to shutdown and/or reboot.

But really, why bother fixing a problem that won't be an issue in a week or so after you get new parts?
March 12, 2010 10:07:54 AM

False_Dmitry_II said:
That's not high enough to cause that. And if it was the usual behavior for heat problems is to shutdown and/or reboot.

But really, why bother fixing a problem that won't be an issue in a week or so after you get new parts?

wel, i dont have any cash at the moment and so first need to know which parts i need to save for. it will take a few weeks/months to actually sort out a new mobo/cpu/case.

i would like to fix the freeze - from searching it looks like this kind of thing is caused by ram problems or overheating, so i will investigate these areas.

thanks

!