Help, Very very very slow SSD, its crazy

arodize

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hi, I hope someone could help me with this problem.
I got a kingston SSD 96GB SATA II and its running really really slow.
its in my HP-Dv6 6145dx laptop AMD
HP Pavilion dv6-6145dx
Notebook AMD A-Series A8-3500M(1.5GHz) 15.6"
8GB Memory 640GB HDD 5400rpm
DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 6620G

any suggestion will be very Appreciate, thanks alot!

SSD.jpg

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Did you use ACHI? Or SATA?
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

Try the tewaks?

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
That is normally done in the bios. If you installed windows on the ssd in SATA mode.......then, you're not going to like the answer. My understanding is that in order to change it from sata to AHCI, you will end up having to re-install Windows. Anyway, not knowing what system you have, makes it difficult to tell you much more than that. If you're using windows 7, there is a good chance that AHCI was selected for you...... You should be able to go into your device mgr and see what controller your using. however, some of them say sata/ahci controller......making it difficult to determine which is actually being used. Only way to know for sure is to get into your bios. i would look at the owners manual for my mbod and look it up. Most manuals will give detailed info about the bios in the back of the manual. Also......BE sure to do all of the tweaks listed in the first post that i left you. They are very very helpful and will help a lot. Good luck

na641

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Actually, it's not a requirement to reinstall Windows, although it can be tricky to switch from IDE mode to AHCI. In fact I believe there is a sticky at the top of this forum that details how to transition.

arodize

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hi, I don't mind reinstall Win7, I think my motherboard Bios is locked. its a HP.
Where is the Sticky? I couldn't find it anywhere.
After I didn't all the tweak, it runs even slower...crazy.

Thanks

arodize

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Its a HP Laptop, I think the mothebard Bios is locked. I did try all the tweak you gave me the link and Now it runs even slower.
I just don't know what is going on. I can re-install Win7. its a new laptop, there's nothing to lose.
Thanks

@ na641 - Yes you can fairly easily change from IDE -> AHCI, HOWEVER that is not his case. If you look at as ssd snapshot, he is not displaying the dreaded "pcide = BAD". It shows amd_sata driver.
I'm not a AMD fan, so maybe someone else can state if this driver will allow windows 7 trim command to pass, I know msachci (uSoft default ahci driver) and iaSTor (which is Intels RST ahci equivalant) do.

arodize - How did you do the initial installation (please do not say you clonned your HDD)??
[strike]While the HP bios is limited, it should allow you to see how the sata port is configured, and if you can toggle it between sata/ahci/ide mode (Do not want IDE mode) and Not sure about your current driver. [/strike] It looks almost like the bios is set to sata raid or ahci and the amd chipset driver was loaded. I see you tried.
For SSDs:
First alway verify: SSD has latest Fireware (yours is CJR1, need to verify that it is the latest.)
Make sure your laptop has the latest Bios Update - Most laptop manuf are slower than frozen snake oil in puting out updates to firmware. This is important for some older systems.

arodize

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

I'm going to do a clean install of Win 7, using "parted magic" I hope this help. SSD firmware and BIOS is up to date.
will post update. thanks!

arodize

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

I went into AMD site and download this.
the new driver chipset version 12.3
and it works now.

I think > better than before

SEQ read 204.21 Write 167.39
4K read 10.66 Write 21.12
4K-64Thrd read 14.55 Write 10.69
ACC time read 0.220MS write 0.494MS