Sign in with
Your question

I have lost access to my files by adding a new user

Last response: in Windows XP
November 13, 2012 1:53:13 PM

I cannot access administrator which I presume is what I am recognized as. I have never put my name in the users before, but now having put my wife in as a new user, the profile shows an empty computer which I cannot change back to my profile!!
November 13, 2012 2:08:55 PM

What do U mean by "the profile shows an empty computer" ?
U can't see your desktop? and logs on automatically on your wife's user profile?

If so, your files are still there, U just have to go to C:\Documents and settings\Your_user_folder\ (you should see your user name, or a folder called admin) and to see your files just open the Desktop folder and your files should be there, (while beeing logged on your wife's user account)

If U want to go back to your user, try typing admin and press enter if the logging box appers on startup. Or U should also activate the Welcome screen so you could see all users; by control panel>users>change the way users log on and aff>use welcome screen.
:hello: 

m
l
November 14, 2012 2:25:25 PM

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del twice at the logon screen, it should give you a regular logon screen where you can type in your old user account and get to your files.
m
l
November 17, 2012 3:32:16 PM

David Hume said:
I cannot access administrator which I presume is what I am recognized as. I have never put my name in the users before, but now having put my wife in as a new user, the profile shows an empty computer which I cannot change back to my profile!!

u selected limited powers on the account & it's thinking it u ;) 
m
l
Related resources
!