Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Intel 3820 > CPU ratio stuck at 37 on mobo

Last response: in Overclocking
January 8, 2013 6:51:15 AM

Hi all,

Here is the thing: I have a MSI X79A 65 8D motherboard and an Intel 3820 processor. The processor is said to be partially unlocked with a max multi of 43. When i manually enter for example 40 multi with a strap of 100, it looks ok during boot. It reads 40x100. But when I start CPU Z in Windows the multi appears to be switched back to 36 or 37, depending on turbo settings. What is the deal here?

On Youtube i see people overclocking to 5 ghz with the same CPU using multipliers of 38 and above, but I am stuck at 37 x 125 on this mobo with a vcore of 1.41 and max temp of 57 C on watercooling under full load. Should be more room to overclock. Raising bclk is not an option beyond 102.

I have disabled cpu states, eist and turbo, but to no avail. Is this a problem of the mobo or am I missing something? Is windows (8) messing with the multiplier?

Any input is very much appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 7:06:07 AM

Terrible said:
Hi all,

Here is the thing: I have a MSI X79A 65 8D motherboard and an Intel 3820 processor. The processor is said to be partially unlocked with a max multi of 43. When i manually enter for example 40 multi with a strap of 100, it looks ok during boot. It reads 40x100. But when I start CPU Z in Windows the multi appears to be switched back to 36 or 37, depending on turbo settings. What is the deal here?

On Youtube i see people overclocking to 5 ghz with the same CPU using multipliers of 38 and above, but I am stuck at 37 x 125 on this mobo with a vcore of 1.41 and max temp of 57 C on watercooling under full load. Should be more room to overclock. Raising bclk is not an option beyond 102.

I have disabled cpu states, eist and turbo, but to no avail. Is this a problem of the mobo or am I missing something? Is windows (8) messing with the multiplier?

Any input is very much appreciated.

im not really up to date on them cpu's but i thought you could tweak the bclock on them because they didnt share the same ring bus that the likes of my 2500k has, what are you getting your speed from too cpuz or something like that cos several programs dont get something as simple as that right. sorry i cant help more i just havent used any sb-e chips price performance ratios no good for gamers!
January 8, 2013 7:13:07 AM

jasont78 said:
im not really up to date on them cpu's but i thought you could tweak the bclock on them because they didnt share the same ring bus that the likes of my 2500k has, what are you getting your speed from too cpuz or something like that cos several programs dont get something as simple as that right. sorry i cant help more i just havent used any sb-e chips price performance ratios no good for gamers!

Raising bclk is very hard on sandybridge e. Raising cpu ratio in combination with straps (gear ratio) is the way to go. So it seems. I will try different bios. After contact with MSI i see that the december bios has disappeared on the website. But i am still open to suggestions as this thing is very weird... :??: 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 7:35:24 AM

Haven't used the 3820, but since it doesn't have the -K suffix, is it even unlocked?

I'm using a 3930k and I've manage to overclock both using blck and the cpu multipler (for some reason my ROG board decided to auto-overclock using blck, so I ended up doing it manually).

It's more tricky with the blck, but not impossible.
If you decide to do so, just be careful and don't push it too far.
Don't want to damage anything else trying to get a slightly faster clock speed.
January 8, 2013 8:38:34 AM

The 3820 should be partially unlocked. This is what have found: "The multiplier is semi locked, it is locked to a max of 43. You can change gear ratio and multiplayer and FSB to get 5Ghz or higher if you have really good cooling though."

I can get to 4625 easily using a multiplier of 37 and a bclk of 125. But yes, i want a higher clock and therefore need a higher multiplier.
!