Power connector confussion ASUS P6X58D motherboard

ryadia

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
ASUS P6X58D motherboard
Amacro 1000 watt PSU

The connectors on the PSU and board are using different descriptions.

The PSU plug says: PCI-E1 but the 8 pin mobo connector says EATX. Both are 12 volt but the PSU manual says 6 of the pins are 12V and the extra 2 are 'com' but the map also says all 6 pins on one side of the plug are 12v and the other side com.
Can anyone tell me if I can safely use all 8 of them please in the board's socket?

Thanks.

Solution

You are correct, however the fact that there are extra 4 pin connectors on an EPS ready psu ( the Amacrox 1000 is EPS 12v v2.91 / 2.92 ready and has both a 4 pin and a 4+4 ) means that 2 of them will match up to form the EPS connector, guess I should have been more clear

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps4plus4
Welcome Newcomer. The PCI-E1 cable gets plugged into a PCI-E graphics/video card. The EATX requires an 8-pin connector for stability purposes. I assume your current PSU doesn't have the 8-pin EATX 12V connector; only the EAT 12V connector. You can try using just the 4-pin EAT12V (square) connector, but if that doesn't work, try this.

ryadia

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Thank you T_T.
I have extra 4 pin 12v power connectors with this PSU. Can I use two of them side by side in the 8 pin socket? By my logic if all the pins are 12 volt, two 4 pin connectors should give me the stability you speak of. I also assume I can use one single 4 pin because the second set of 4 pins is capped. Is this correct?

There is a hole in your logic. 4+4 does equal 8; however, the voltages supplied to the individual wires may not be the same as a bonnafide 8-pin connector. You don't want to overload any circuit, that is why you shouldn't just make your own connections. However, if you've read up on your PSU, and the manufacturer has instructions on combining two 4-pin connectors to plug into the 8-pin socket, then by all means, do so.

On the other hand...

Take a look at your PSU. Do you see a square plug with two yellow wires and two black wires? If so, this is the 12V EAT plug that is used on standard ATX motherboards to supply power to the CPU.

On EATX motherboards, the same principal is used; a dedicated CPU connector, but these boards have an 8-pin socket. In theory, you should be able to use just the 4-pin connector I mentioned above. The theory isn't based on personal experience, rather it comes from others who've posted online that they've been able to use a standard ATX PSU with an EATX mobo.

That is a completely different connector, the PCI-E1 is for graphics card not the EATX (EPS) 8 pin, That pin will also not fit into the EATX connector. You should have a 8pin cable somewhere.

EDIT: T_T already answered it, thats what I get for opening a topic then getting occupied, lol.

An 8 pin EPS connector has 4 Yellow 12v wires and 4 Black ground wires
A 4 pin ATX connector has 2 Yellow 12v wires and 2 Black ground wires, 2 of them combined = an 8 pin EPS connector.

You can't just put two 4-pin connectors together to achieve an 8-pin connector. Though the wire configuration is achievable, the 8-pin connector has rounded corners in a pattern that would not be matched by 2x4-pin connectors. Take a look:

s12ii58.jpg

proxs19.jpg

Besides not being able to install two 4-pin connectors into an 8-pin socket, the orientation of the rounded and squared connectors is different.

You are correct, however the fact that there are extra 4 pin connectors on an EPS ready psu ( the Amacrox 1000 is EPS 12v v2.91 / 2.92 ready and has both a 4 pin and a 4+4 ) means that 2 of them will match up to form the EPS connector, guess I should have been more clear

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps4plus4

Solution

ryadia

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
OK ...it is the 4x4+12v cable I was asking about. This PSU was represented to me to be state of the art stuff when I bought it. This system is not being built from price related components but on components purchased for the job the PC will do... Edit photographs and movies. When I bought the HD5850 graphics card, the guy selling me this gear told me I'd better consider this PSU because it had a cable selection available that would suit the two power sockets on the card as well as have a cable that would plug into the mainboard. It's a little hard getting advice from him at 3:00 AM - the only time I can allocate time to assemble it. Thank you very much for all you help T_T. I greatly appreciate it.