2tb drive unallocated in new system.. help

blnkcruiser

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Hello,
I know these questions have been asked many times, but I still can't find the help that I need. I've just built a new system. I transfered 3 of my data hard drive from my old system to the new system. both have win7 installed. 2 of the 1TB hdd is recognized by win 7 in the new system. but the 2TB is not recognized. Disk management show it as unallocated drive. My question is, how do I get win 7 to recognized the drive? I have data in that drive, can't lose the data, so format is not an option. I dont have my old system to test if the 2tb drive will still work in the old system.
any help is greatly appreciated....

smoke

how to delete multiple thread.. sorry.. lag internet

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Is there any chance the drive was formatted as a "Dynamic Partition"? If that's the case you must go to Disk Management and right click on the drive then click "Mark Partition as Active". Then you will be able to access the drive.

blnkcruiser

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
thanks for the info.
heres the detail to my ordeal.
after a new built with win 7 installed... i plugged all 3 hard drive in. the 2 1tb hard drive is recognized, but the 2tb is not recognized. I went into disk management and sees that the drive is "unallocated" and it asked me to assigned a drive letter. so, i assigned a drive letter (i.e F). it asked me to format before the drive i can used it. I DID NOT format the drive. I cancelled it. Window now still doesnt see the drive. Go back to disk management. it said the drive is 'RAW". check internet for fix. TestDisk instruction said to: delete the volume to make it unallocated again. So, I delete the volume. now the drive is unallocated again.
and that was it... i did not do anything yet.. did not get a chance to continues fix with TestDisk yet. the computer is turn off. all i want is the data from the drive.. iimportant stuff.
any help..?

thanks...

ngrego.......
Dynamic Partition..??
the drive was formated in another win 7 system and its just for data storage. can i go back and do that now? with the volume deleted..? can i go in disk management and assigned a drive letter and then ... mark partion as active,..? long shot.. i guess no..... ..
shouldn't have delete the volume in the first place.......

another question comes up.. since the volume is deleted.. do i have to go into disk management.. give a drive letter to create a new volume.. then run recovery program..?

blnkcruiser

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
tokencode..
thanks for the infor..
but questions before doing data recovery..

since the volume is deleted.. do i have to go into disk management.. give a drive letter to create a new volume.. then run recovery program..?

thnx.......
gonna be a long weekend...... :cry:

another thing.. since the partition is deleted.. not all recovery program can do it..
which racovery data program would be better.. ?
I have .. testdisk.. free. and i m looking at recover my files and total recover wizard..
any others to recommend..?

blnkcruiser

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

ngrego...
dont have that option..
when i go to disk management.. all i have is..
convert to dynamic disk.
convert to gpt disk
properties
help,.....

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
At this point it's not looking too good for you.
As a last resort, without any guarantees, you can possibly try checking the drive with a disk tool.
If you don't accomplish anything even after this.. :(

I know it really bites when something like this happens, but what can you do.
Just format and start over.