Difference in cpu core temperature

G

Hello, I wonder about the temperature difference between the two cores of my AMD X2 CPU. The first one is 50C and the second one has 70C

That's a pretty significant difference. What were you using to test them? If using a proper burn test like Prime95 they shouldn't be more than 10C off, usually less. I got mine to withing 4-5C across 4 cores after extensive CPU and HS lapping.

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
hmm... i thought the AMD CPU's only show one core temperature, how are you seeing two? what CPU do you have? are you sure the 70C isnt your actual CPU temp and the 50C being the MB/Case temp?

Ah that could be it! Or the 50C is the "socket temp" I know for my CPU in HWMonitor and SpeedFan there's the core temps and then the CPU temp which is always significantly lower.

G

I use the SpeedFan 4.33 utility. What would you advice me to use?
My CPU is AMD 64 X2 4200+

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
use core temps, this is the most popular utility to check your cpu temps

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

with coretemp you will see only one number for your cpu

G

Thank you very much. Now it says almost 50C at both cores, although I suppose this is not a good temperature...

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
if thats your idle temps... yes its a bit high

depending on what CPU you have, the new AMD phenom II's are cool running, so if you idle at 50C, then you are cutting it close, as temps under heavy load would probably shoot over 70-80