I've let myself go......sorry guys!

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Computing is exspensive, and im a student.
I've always wanted a kick ass PC, fancy looking parts all wrapped up in a CM cosmos. but the closest I ever came was an athlon x2 and a 9800 GT!.
I just cant afford it anymore,
I've gone out and bought a..........console, and xbox t be exact. my third one. due to them breaking/selling for PC upgrades, ahah.

dont worry though people, I couldnt let my beloved pc gp liek that so I bought it a super quiet cooler and some new 120 silent fans, a CM m atx case and he's tucked away serving me my media and streaming to my xbox, I feel a bit sad as I knpw pc gaming is so much better,

On to my main point......

Do you guys/girls really think that the PC gaming era (if thats the correct spelling, I doubt it) is/will come to an end, with less games being made for the PC to, and the RIDICULOUS prices. Not everyone can do it anymore.

Try it, Go on new egg, or aria or where ever you shop, try and build your self a good system for a couple o' hundered quid/bucks. It really cant be done, not to a consoel standard (IMO) but then even if you do manage to get a nice budget system, It will VERY soon be outdated.

What are your thoughts people?. I wanna know

PC gaming/building IS IMO a hobby, Which I have a great passion for, but sadly I'm, at least for the time being, going to have to give up :(.

please comment, I would love to hear what other tech ed's think

Lol, are you crazy? The price of an Xbox is 300$, and at 60$ a year for live, over a 6 year period of use, is 360$ ( ironic lol). Thats 660$. Pc prices are coming way down, and will in the future, and you can get a very nice build for 700$, If you don't count OS price, and buy a 100$ keyboard lol.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I disagree entirely. My PC is aging, and I still get better framerates and more eyecandy than either of the consoles. It really boils down to what you expect the machine to do. My PC is the center of my living area, it does it all. I can sit here for 2-3 hours gaming like mad, or I can watch some HD movies, or I can have a skype chat with my Dad, or I can...

It's endless. If gaming is your primary focus, consoles do offer more bang for buck. If usability per dollar is your goal, PC's are on top.

Xbox360? bang for you're buck? The graphics look like trash, you pay 60$ a year for online, you ahve to spend 100$ on a Wifi thing, You have to buy controllers, and if god forbid you want a hdd higher than 20gb, you need to pay loads of cash for a 250gb.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
If all you want to do is play video games, you absolutely cannot beat a console. It's not possible.

Craigslist is your friend. I've seen a number of 360 Elites going for 150 on my local CL. You can't build a PC that can play current gen games for 150.

The graphics look like trash to you, and me as well, because we're PC's, not boxes. Our hardware is superior, and therefore can handle additional AA, AF, and other pretties that consoles can't.

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I got xbox dirt cheap from ebay. All I've wanted to do is game and browse internet, which my pc does fine, but Every time I get a game I always seem to spend ages pratting around with the graphic settings, I have also never really noticed a difference (console to pc),

There are lot more games for xbox, and you must admit that xbox live, is probably worth it....?? maybe. lol. It is very well put together. I see your points very well. But I don't see pc prices coming down at all really, bar monitors and AMD athlons. Console wise I guess wins on the functionality front, being more popular, PC wins on power,

PS3 and xbox are still putting out some impressive visuals, If you wanna diss graphics then take a shot at the wii...

Any way this has got a little off topic kinda, You must agree though that there has been less support for pc gaming over the years. ?

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
There has been less support, you're right on there, and there are a number of contributing factors. Piracy, price, and lack of knowledge.

And don't get me started on the Wii. Wii take your money laughing all the way to the bank because Wii selling you 3 generation old hardware with a new controller!

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
This whole thread is irrelevant. I've got both, they both have their uses.

You also have to pay for games, and PC games are generally cheaper. Especially if you wait awhile. Such that, me upgrading a piece or two every year or two only costs about $150 a year, and then is further offset by my selling the previous stuff. So it comes up equal.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I dont know, Ive always been both a PC gamer and console gamer, I have a PS3 and a PC. Which is nice because most xbox exclusives come out for PC as well.

The thing is, there may be more games coming out for consoles, but are there more games you want to play? Ive had my PS3 for 2 years, Ive purchased 3 games in that timespan. NHL 09, NHL 10 and Street fighter 4.
beat em up platformers just dont appeal to me anymore. i.e. bayonetta, gow, prince of persia, etc etc. which is what the majority of the games that come out for consoles are.

I built a system in jan 08 that my GF uses that was the same cost to build as a launch day PS3, that still plays all new games great. (e6750 OC'ed to 3.2) 4gb ddr 800, 8800GTS 512.

and dont get me started on the xbox, id rather not buy a system that its damn near a guarantee its gonna break. Everyone I know that has an xbox has at least had to have it repaired once, some more than once.

in my personal opinion the only things consoles have over PC is the ability to rent games. The difference is, most games I own for the pc have alot of replay value so its not really a concern. most platformers for the console, will probably never be played again after they are beaten. So fortunately you can rent, beat and return.

In the end I cant do anything about it, if PC gaming dies it dies, but people have been saying that since the late 90's yet games still keep coming out and there are still PC exclusives.

Also take into account, PC's are getting cheaper and cheaper to build while consoles are getting more and more expensive when they launch. hell they arent even that expensive to buy from a boutique anymore, you could go to a place like cyber power and I buypower and have them put together a bare bone box, and buy the easy to install stuff separate have it be rather inexpensive.

Sure the current gen consoles are 300 now (also add in required addons, which there are a ton more required for xbox). but 360 came out in what 05? do you want to wait 3-5 years before a console is cheaper than a decent mid range gaming build?

I just built a buddy of mine an AMD based system (hes not a gamer) Athlon II X2, 3gb ram, 500gb HDD, asrock mobo (cant recall the model offhand), a generic case with decent airflow, and a corsair 650TX PSU and popped in a freebie 8800GT of mine which will play any game out with equivilent graphics to a console. under 300 dollars.