Which is the better camera, the Canon s410 or the A85?

Last response: in Digital Camera
November 30, 2004 1:14:33 AM

Hey,

Which is the better camera? The Canon s410 or an A85? Both are 4.0
megapixles, the A85 takes AA batteries, but the s410 has a proprietary
rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. I've no problem with the idea of a
proprietary battery since that's what my current Canon s30 uses. And I've
got plenty of AA NiMH batteries too. So I can go either way as far as
that's concerned.

The specs are pretty similar, but I did notice that the manual of the s410
makes no mention of
being able to set the aperture. I did a find on the word "aperture" in the
manual (in Acrobat format) nowhere does that word appear but, it does appear
in the A85 manual. It's also a feature of my current s30.

I'm not sure which one to go with.......I need some opinions!

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

More about : camera canon s410 a85

Anonymous
November 30, 2004 1:42:47 PM

Get the one with aperture control if you think you need it in your
photography.
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 8:03:32 AM

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje29@yahoo.com> writes:
>Which is the better camera? The Canon s410 or an A85? Both are 4.0
>megapixles, the A85 takes AA batteries, but the s410 has a proprietary
>rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. I've no problem with the idea of a
>proprietary battery since that's what my current Canon s30 uses. And I've
>got plenty of AA NiMH batteries too. So I can go either way as far as
>that's concerned.

You should be comparing to the A80, not the A85. The A80 has the same
1/1.8" CCD as the S410. The A85, despite its name, is *not* the
successor to the A80, it replaces the A75. And the A85 has a smaller
CCD with higher noise than the A80 or S410.

>The specs are pretty similar, but I did notice that the manual of the s410
>makes no mention of
>being able to set the aperture.

That's one major difference. The S410 has a "manual" mode that is
equivalent to "P" mode on the A80 - fully auto exposure. The S410 does
not have any equivalent of the M, Av, or Tv modes on the A80, which
provide manual control of aperture, shutter speed, or both. In fact,
the S410 doesn't even tell you what aperture or shutter speed it's going
to use.

My own mental model: the A80 is the camera to take if you expect to be
shooting photos, and want the extra creative control. (The flip-out LCD
is also very useful). The S410 is the camera to take if you do not
expect to be taking photos, but want one along just in case and small
size and light weight are important.

Dave
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 2:59:44 AM

But Canon stopped making the A80 so finding a new one is a little more
difficult.

Jeff

!