Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A memory Question

Last response: in Memory
November 3, 2010 7:57:30 PM

Almost two years ago I bought some Geil Black Dragon PC6400 DDR2 Ram running at 5-5-5-15 at 1.8V from Newegg. Well I was gonna buy more of the same ram to hit 8Gigs but I saw that is now has been discontinued but they due have the 4-4-4-12 at 2.0V of the same ram. So will that other type of ram be compatible with those different timings or not. Here is the link for the first set I bought almost 2 years ago http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144073. And here is the other set they have in stock http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820144238. So can those 2 different sets interchange or not. Also any and all advice will be helpful. Thanks.

More about : memory question

November 3, 2010 8:28:26 PM

Running mismatched RAM like that can cause issues especially if you want to run Win 7. Win 7 gets very unhappy unless the RAM is spot on. I would really think hard before jumping to 8 GB RAM. 8 GB RAM offers no real performance increase and offers slower boot times. Unless you intend on running several Virtual Machines or something like that anything over 4 GB RAM is just pointless at this stage.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 3, 2010 8:40:27 PM

Here's the problem - you can run the new, faster RAM at 5-5-5-15 . . . but you might not be able to run the 1.8V memory for long at 2.0V. Dunno. Your mobo requires 1 set of paramters to apply to all memory in the slots, which in this case would be 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V.

Really should get a new factory-matched pair of sticks. There's a reason they are sold that way - to ensure that memory of identical rating will actual run in dual channel operation.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 3, 2010 11:26:11 PM

Twoboxer said:
Here's the problem - you can run the new, faster RAM at 5-5-5-15 . . . but you might not be able to run the 1.8V memory for long at 2.0V. Dunno. Your mobo requires 1 set of paramters to apply to all memory in the slots, which in this case would be 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V.

Really should get a new factory-matched pair of sticks. There's a reason they are sold that way - to ensure that memory of identical rating will actual run in dual channel operation.

Additional question - I have a Micron 2 gig stick DDR 3 running at 10700 677 MHZ paired with a Kingston 2 gig stick DDR 3 rated the same. The voltage on both are rated 1.50 V but the frequeny and latency are slightly different. Both my bios and CPUZ tell me I am running 4 gig dual channel memory. Any reason to doubt that or replace one of the sticks?
Thanks,
Dave
a b } Memory
November 4, 2010 3:32:50 AM

No, but do take a look at what the mobo is using for settings. It cannot match both since they are different, so it should have chosen the slower of the two.

Voltage differences are not necessarily so easy to deal with. Your 1.8V may take 2.0V just fine, or it may not.
m
l
November 6, 2010 5:19:43 AM

I have decided to replace what I have with another kit Newegg has in stock to get my 8Gigs. Thanks.
m
l
November 7, 2010 10:17:38 PM

Best answer selected by forgetfull.
m
l
!