Did I Lost "E"?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
This is a follow up question.

I installed 2 - 3TB drives last night and they are working fine, but no matter where I plug them into the motherboard I get: "K" and "L". This computer only has 2 other drives and SSD ("C" boot drive) and an optical drive "D".

Normally I should get "E" and "F", but no matter which SATA connector I plug them they appear as "K" and "L".

The motherboard is: Asus P7P55D-E

Solution
You can change the drive letter in Disk Management (type disk management in start menu and select Create Format Hard Drive Partitions). From there right click the drive you want to change and select 'Change drive letters and paths'. You should be able to set them to what you want as long as the letter isn't in use at the time.

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
if you got win7 open computer manager where you do the assign and look for other drive that got a drive letter, it could be a usb or something

by two other drive you mean another two hhd that could need a partition letter (ie the E and F)

best way to test would be to unplug all other drives and unessential hardware.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

I will try this later today when I get back.
Thank you

(I will report back to this thread with the results)

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

OK, got back...
Tried a USB thumb-drive on a card reader and got the "E"...
so I shut down, unplugged the card reader, reboot...

Still the same, switch the hard drives to other on-board SATA controllers and nothing, no change.

Looked into computer manager and there is a USB camera (no letter assigned) and HP printer has a "J" assigned to it.

Still I think that "E" and "F" should be available.

Not sure what I'm missing.

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
You can change the drive letter in Disk Management (type disk management in start menu and select Create Format Hard Drive Partitions). From there right click the drive you want to change and select 'Change drive letters and paths'. You should be able to set them to what you want as long as the letter isn't in use at the time.

Solution

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

Thank You!
It worked!

:bounce: