Photoshop + 32GB Ram - Opteron or Xeon

photoshopfan

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hello, I try to find components for a photoshop PC with 32Gigs Ram or more. A basic decision is choosing the right cpu (Intel or AMD)

Various people told me that Intel is better suited for Photoshop than AMD. This may be correct. However I´ve found no Photoshop Opteron-Xeon Benchmark Comparison.

At the moment I´m ram-limited, when editing huge files (PC, 5 years old, 4 Gigs of Ram)

DDR3 may be faster than DDR2, but more expensive. A single Intel Xeon is limited to 24 Gigs DDR3, When using 4 Gigs Modules. An AMD is limited to 8x4=32Gigs DDR2.

The price is also important. So AMD may be better.

So can you give me some hints, what to choose? Thank you very much.

photoshopfan

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
thanks

i work with absurdly :sol: large files (up to several gigs). add a few layers, then even 32 gigs is not that much.

i try to configure a single cpu-system. A single quad-core is sufficient for photoshop i think. 8 cores instead of 4 add negliglible performance. maybe some filters can really use 8 cores, i´m not sure about this.

photoshopfan

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Forgot to ask, but what is your budget anyways?

the lower the better.

switching from a 4gigs to a 32gigs system removes the ram-bottleneck. so some opterations may only take seconds instead of minutes. if an operation takes now 3 or 5 seconds is not so important. i do not want to invest shedloads of money for a few percent performance advantage.

Current intel cpu's have better performance figures in photoshop as compared to their AMD counterparts.. However, you wont be needing a xeon or an opteron for that.. A single i7 930 put together with 12 gigs of DDR3 ram and a mid range video card (preferably nvidia) with high memory (1GB or more) will suffice.. If your budget permits you, get a cheap SSD which will definitely boost up performance as compared to conventional hard drives..

photoshopfan

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
12 gigs is not enough. i´ve made a few tests with another 12 gigs ddr3 pc. 12 gigs are nice, but when working with huge files it´s a limititation.