Sign in with
Your question

Photoshop + 32GB Ram - Opteron or Xeon

Last response: in CPUs
May 17, 2010 9:45:17 PM

Hello, I try to find components for a photoshop PC with 32Gigs Ram or more. A basic decision is choosing the right cpu (Intel or AMD)

Various people told me that Intel is better suited for Photoshop than AMD. This may be correct. However I´ve found no Photoshop Opteron-Xeon Benchmark Comparison.

At the moment I´m ram-limited, when editing huge files (PC, 5 years old, 4 Gigs of Ram)

DDR3 may be faster than DDR2, but more expensive. A single Intel Xeon is limited to 24 Gigs DDR3, When using 4 Gigs Modules. An AMD is limited to 8x4=32Gigs DDR2.

The price is also important. So AMD may be better.

So can you give me some hints, what to choose? Thank you very much.

May 17, 2010 10:15:39 PM

thanks

i work with absurdly :sol:  large files (up to several gigs). add a few layers, then even 32 gigs is not that much.

i try to configure a single cpu-system. A single quad-core is sufficient for photoshop i think. 8 cores instead of 4 add negliglible performance. maybe some filters can really use 8 cores, i´m not sure about this.

May 17, 2010 10:20:29 PM

Quote:
Forgot to ask, but what is your budget anyways?

the lower the better.

switching from a 4gigs to a 32gigs system removes the ram-bottleneck. so some opterations may only take seconds instead of minutes. if an operation takes now 3 or 5 seconds is not so important. i do not want to invest shedloads of money for a few percent performance advantage.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 10:49:22 PM

What could you possibly need 32 gigs of ram for? Not photoshop I will tell you that much.
a c 81 à CPUs
May 17, 2010 11:05:08 PM

Current intel cpu's have better performance figures in photoshop as compared to their AMD counterparts.. However, you wont be needing a xeon or an opteron for that.. A single i7 930 put together with 12 gigs of DDR3 ram and a mid range video card (preferably nvidia) with high memory (1GB or more) will suffice.. If your budget permits you, get a cheap SSD which will definitely boost up performance as compared to conventional hard drives..
May 18, 2010 7:13:01 PM

12 gigs is not enough. i´ve made a few tests with another 12 gigs ddr3 pc. 12 gigs are nice, but when working with huge files it´s a limititation.

May 27, 2010 5:03:37 PM

i´ve created a configuration

1x amd quad opteron
tyan dual opteron board with 32gigs ram

http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=WL-91756

not too shabby, eh?

@timtop
the $300 TYAN S2932 has pci-x, which is useless for me. i prefer pci-e + pci33/32bit

!