Sign in with
Your question

Relocate io ports

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2010 10:10:49 PM

Hi... new member here hoping for some help

I need a way to relocate ALL hookups that are normaly found on the back of a computer. I need to move everything.. usb, vga/dvi, sound etc. basicaly there will not be access to this stuff in the system i am building. I would like to make a new io shield/mount out of aluminum and cut out a place for adapters to fit and then run the adapters to the video card and all the stuff on the motherboard. any help or advise apreciated!

More about : relocate ports

March 10, 2010 7:16:15 AM

I have LONG wished for a serious case that had the ports AND the bays up front !

What you are planning, tho, even if you are an experinced fabricator, is begging for a whole mess of trouble with a migrane "to boot" (as it were). If you INSIST on persuing said folly, then I would recommend a major case modder's site-forum, to glean practical advice, on THAT subject.

I see two (fairly simple and reasonably affordable) options, for you, both of which I am employing right now, in my "wire-maze" of a project studio.

1) purchase extender cables (like 10' usb cables) and use zip-ties to bundle pairs or bunches and rout those to where you want them ... I am doing this with kbd, mouse and HDMI, right now. Audio Breakout boxes and usb (or firewire) pro sound modules (with 1/4"TRS or XLR ins) are another way to get studio access and I am also doing that (Extigy and Pro-sonus and ZOOM MR16) <<< lookem up !!

2) Turn your computer sideways (or even all the way around ! )
My computer is at a sideways angle that lets me reach the optical drive and the rear, without moving the box (much). If this sounds like it might work (for your needs) then external optical drives are also acailable and, placement is flexible.

Other thots ...

Patch bays ... Snakes, wireless links/repeaters ... KVM switchers ...

If you can ... please explain the EXACT physical location and the "WHYS" of what your needs are ... Why SO compelled, to go to all that trouble.

Keep in mind, also, that the PSU is one of the easiest things to relocate, in the system and, there is a "silent-PC site" which has a full assortment of fanless PSUs ... I think newegg &/or Tiger has some too.

Take a look at this video ... watch the WHOLE thing and listen to the guy . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl6zJUQdy2M

This one is really weird, but might help you, in some strange way ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6dX2K8ydDo

there is a bigger ATX version and a "baby" Skeleton for mini-ATX

= Al =
March 10, 2010 2:33:14 PM

This could be an interesting project. Using the smallest possible mobo may help, even ITX (if it has the ports that meet your needs). You could orient it in its [custom] case however you preferred, and wire extensions; or find and dissect one of those laptop port replicators. They plug into a USB port, then provide many of the other ports that are needed. I could readily see interference (i.e. EMI) becoming a problem here though. Good luck.
Related resources
March 11, 2010 5:33:11 PM

Also, I have been thinking about making a sound-proof enclosure from plywood with "snaking-baffled ducting and just a 3" (foam-stuffed) PVC electrical conduit to run cables out of. I was thinking about suspending the mobo on wooden blocking (well designed) and just optimizing "hinged-lid" ready access with a "fridge-light" on a plunger switch, so I can just open the box and the ports are staring at me and 2 lights come on (each side) ... this all would be behind my "edit bay operator's position" and external esata enclosure with optical and hotback at my fingertips.

Rendering/transcode puters are loud and I record audio in this same space and same workstation.

Might make a smaller, "silent with ssds and no moving parts" type system, just to service live audio acoustic and vocal/VO record sessions (anything requiring microphones or acoustic pickups).

Good luck with YOUR application. If you are still in the neighborhood, tell us more about it. I'd like to understand your vision, for my own "Systems and Ergonomics" studies.

= Phone Home =
March 11, 2010 7:24:54 PM

hey thanks for the tips.. im not quite ready to give away what im TRYING to do just yet. however here are some things that it will require. everything must be as close and compact as possible (about 13X15X5) so im gona be dealing with heat issues. the mother board will be inaccessable durning normal use so all io ports need to be relocated up top. It will requires at LEAST a 9800GT card and the card might not be mount in the slot on the bored. both for reasons of erganomics and concerns of it breaking off the board in its environment. i will be using a Low profile pure copper high flow cpu cooler (lapped w arctic silver V or better compound), low profile memory if available for type, 2.5" SSD's and if i can find one il be using a micro atx power supply in the 600-800w range (ive seen em B4 but am having trouble right now) here are some links for some items i may b using that are sort of "out of the ordinary" and may help with your needs.

http://www.circotech.com/1u-1-x-16x-pci-express-riser-c...

http://www.systemation-inc.com/products_standard.html#s...

http://www.ocp.com/mobile/port.html

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product.aspx?c=1257&id=14...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

so from some of this it looks as though im doing the ol build my own portable lan box type computer but there a lil more to it than that. Id say what but its gona take me a while to get it done and i cant have people with more money and resources gettin it dun first! thanks for all help so far.
March 11, 2010 7:31:12 PM

I have no idea if this meets your needs or not, but there are a couple of cases out there that have a different motherboard orientation, like this Silverstone Raven 2. This has all the ports facing up top.

I haven't used one, so I don't know how well (or poorly) it works in practice, but it seems like it could possibly meet your needs, though it is a full tower.

If you're working on fabricating your own something, I guess this doesn't help much, but maybe it'll get you looking at a few new things?
March 11, 2010 7:37:17 PM

not for this project but dang id like that one for my next build thanks!
March 11, 2010 7:57:10 PM

OK >>>

I TOTALLY GROK YOU !

One important question ... Is a bundeled snake with a "floppy mop" termination acceptable or do need to have a rack-panel patch bay ?

Less important .. are there marine considerations or just mobile.
Off road shock? Small craft shock? Air turbulence shock? Submersible?

Is all prototyping and live testing fairly complete?

Can you share an estimate of "first run quantities"? (sub-out panels ... quantity)?

What about dust (and/or spray / humidity / salt-corrosion).

Or is all this for portable to fixed-location land-based stuff (like rail or IH mobile)?

Are operator technicians going to be reconfiguring the ports during "full operational sessions"? or just for "off-line" maint." ?

I don't think you'll be giving TOO much away, just by describing the environment and how far the snake needs to run.

= Say Hi to Bob, for me =

March 11, 2010 8:11:42 PM

rack panel patch bay would be nice but probly not doable.

In its shut down/mobile state It WILL be water proof however in the environment it will be in it is highly unlikely that it will need to be nor will be during use.

As far as shock proofing goes when i am dun you would not hesitate or worry about shipping it off UPS around the world (I mean simply putting a shipping label on the computer itself and shipping it off) Actualy one of my tests will be to throw it down a flight of stairs.

no

Dust/sand is a factor however the system will be easy to clean.

yes

yes the operator may need access to usb and other ports durring use

whos bob :) 
March 11, 2010 8:33:45 PM

Was the site i linked you to for the cables not of any use?
March 11, 2010 8:36:52 PM

So is the snake-bundle with a "mop" of connectors ok?

An option would be to "set" them into a poured/molded block of acrylic or epoxy but then failures (bent pins and shrouds) would be diff to repair/replc.

On the "heat" front ... you might look into cooling parts for DLP projectors (or even older slide projectors) ... pretty sure there might be some appealing "squirrel drum" alternatives, there.

The "active" operating environment is indoors and static? Any "hot-plugging" in the dark or "night-red" conditions?

= Al =
March 11, 2010 8:37:22 PM

Yes they will be of MUCH use thanks! see about 5 posts up i listed a few links of some of the wierd things i will be probly using and your link is one of em. good stuff
March 11, 2010 8:43:24 PM

I have been barking up the wrong tree ...

The goal is for a TOTALLY silent "no moving parts" turnkey audio studio-recording solution which will be "road-cased" (for travelling bands and movie producers) and can run off of ROAD-BUS or AC power.

Please make a cost reduced "home project studio" version, that I might acquire one.

... And, better make it resistent to smoke resin, too ... (Austin, TX.)

= Alvin =
March 11, 2010 8:43:58 PM

well on the PS side of things modular is something id pay a great deal for.. however on the hard drive side of things mops are fine. I found a matx ps that was perfect a while back.. it had everything you could ask for in even a full atx PS AND it was modular.. at about 300 bucks i do believe. it was black and bright orange and i realy hope to find it or another one. I been designing this thing since about feb 2007 off and on and it seems tech has caught up to me to the point where this might be doable now. lots of little hurdles to cross before i waste money on parts that will be of no use after a year of "getting the kinks out"

use will be indoors or at least under cover.
March 11, 2010 8:47:24 PM

is that what your trying to do or is that ur guess for what im trying to do? lol not sure.
March 11, 2010 8:57:34 PM

nice ps! I may have to use full size but if i can go matx i will.. this computer MUST fit in the overhead comp on an airplane :) 
March 11, 2010 8:59:58 PM

... I was guessing about your app, but considering my own desires. ...

I do video editing and (video related) audio ... even a few soloist demos for local talent...
... Even my notebook (on batts) is really too noisy for some acoustic acquisition apps. Not my main thing but I end up doing more of that than I ever plan to, anyway. So far, I have been "getting away with it" but more pristine (acoustically dead) record envelope would obviously be desireable, at prosumer cost.

= Al =
March 11, 2010 9:01:59 PM

That sound like another fun project..sounds like it wouldnt be too hard.. il keep my eye out for stuff for u.
March 11, 2010 10:50:04 PM

Demandred said:
Was the site i linked you to for the cables not of any use?

This (your ) post, quoted here, in this msg, is the first post, by you, that I see on this thread. Maybe you hit the "return to newbuild" button rather than the "submit" button, and links were not posted ???

= ? =
March 11, 2010 10:56:35 PM

silencecom said:
nice ps! I may have to use full size but if i can go matx i will.. this computer MUST fit in the overhead comp on an airplane :) 

You do not have to answer (quite obviously) but I still must ask ...

Official airline equipment or passenger toted (comes and goes with passenger) ?? << know why I asked?

Yes, then, power and heat are key issues, if you cannot tap into the aircraft power-bus or duct the heat thru a duct, to the svc-void.

If this is a flying HTPC, for multiple viewer media distribution, then it is very doable (sheilding !!!!)

If it is so "Power-professionals" can do CAD and GGI, in transit ... fugget-ah-bout-it.

= Al =
March 11, 2010 11:01:34 PM

And, don't worry 'bout sayin "Hi" to Bob ... I'll see him before you do. He's been pretty busy, just lately, tho. I think he gets back today.

= Al =
March 12, 2010 12:03:23 AM

Quote:
This (your ) post, quoted here, in this msg, is the first post, by you, that I see on this thread. Maybe you hit the "return to newbuild" button rather than the "submit" button, and links were not posted ???

I accidently made a double post of this thread and he gave me a link on the other one.

Quote:
You do not have to answer (quite obviously) but I still must ask ...

Official airline equipment or passenger toted (comes and goes with passenger) ?? << know why I asked?

Yes, then, power and heat are key issues, if you cannot tap into the aircraft power-bus or duct the heat thru a duct, to the svc-void.

If this is a flying HTPC, for multiple viewer media distribution, then it is very doable (sheilding !!!!)

If it is so "Power-professionals" can do CAD and GGI, in transit ... fugget-ah-bout-it.

Nope none of that :)  just simply has to be sizable as a carry on in the cabin over head or under the seat. i will be trying to keep it all under the 45 liner inch standard. might beable to get away with up to 50 in

March 12, 2010 12:29:39 AM

HEY ... YOU MIGHT CHECK OUT BLADE 1U or 2U PSUs or THIN CLIENT PSUs.
What voltage(s) ... Wall plug?

That PCIe extender ribbon is a must. There may be some "low-profile" (slimline) 90 degree (ridgid) bracket adapters. Seems demand would warrant.

Y'know, ... there used to be a very popular PC form-factor called "Luggable" that was almost like a mid-tower with a carry-handle and a (typically) 9" crt was built in next to what would now pass for four, 5" drive bays. Looked a lot like a sewing machine, when the weather-lid was snapped on.

I had a Columbia and a Compaq (now HP). Both musta weighed in over 30Lbs.

Anyway ... I (at many points in past and now) have often mused over what kind of power could fit into that "luggable" weight class. The refined version would be the size of a large attache (aluminum) and a 24"+ LCD (or two) would be inside and a real, full sized qwerty kb, etc, as something like a Mac-Pro desktop crammed into a smallish suitcase.

I HATE notebooks. I want as mush power as I can reasonably carry to my car.

Would love 2x24"LCD+i930+PNYx1GB in a slick lookin luggable ... Whenever you get done with YOUR thing.

= AL =

March 12, 2010 12:43:01 AM

:)  well what im working on now would probly suite those needs.. only thing hurting me right now is money. I can build this thing for 3000 or just under. unfortunately i dont have the cash right now and may not for a while. Im realy excited to start piecing together a prototype for R and D.
March 12, 2010 1:13:10 AM

Might be best to import the specs into cyberspace and just do a virtual build, until cheaper parts are readily available ... unless you want one for yourself, anyway.

I like to set-up in coffee shops, a lot, too, and I have fantsized about using a vericle hand-truck or a golf-caddy frame to fasion a "rickshaw" that could carry a smallish "glass-matt" car battery and charge (like a large motorcycle batt with lite-weight charger and the LSDs could unpack and mount side-by-side so ... just roll it in and plug it in and fasten the LCDs into position and drink coffee.

!