I7 980x, good for server?

qwerty45

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Could you use an i7 980x as a server cpu? I was wondering because i was also looking at some Xeon cpus but i will only need one and i started looking at a 980x

It depends on what sort of a role you want the server to play i.e. as a media server or web server etc.. The i7 980X will work flawlessly as a server but is pointless for use as a server alone at that price point.. Better choose the 6 core AMD phenom variant for single processor config..

qwerty45

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Is it good for hosting video on a website?

If using massive amounts of memory you would benifit from a Xeon for its ECC capabilities. I would really say anything over 12GB should be ECC but then again that can get really expensive. Like the others have asked what are the main uses of this server gonna be.

A single i7 980X will never reach the throughput levels of a two xeon setup as mentioned above.. Its highly recommended you go the dual processor route if you plan on hosting a video server which is quite demanding itself.. In addition, you'd need speedy hard drives and a decent amount of ram, 12 GB should be minimum.. The xeon's use registered ecc memories which can get ridiculously costly so you might even give a thought to go with the AMD opteron processors..

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
When the hell did you need a 980x to stream videos across a network?!?!

How about you save yourself $1000+ and get a cheap $100 AMD dual core and call it good? You will never use 12 threads for any kind of server unless you are running a google/facebook branch from your house.