Closed Solved

Need Help Choosing Between Two Models of Memory

I'm plannig to build a new system, most likely on a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 with an i7-950. This system will mainly be for gaming. I do not plan to overclock this system.
While researching memory I found two similar models that I like. I'm thinking that the CL 7 sticks would be the best, but the CL 8 memory has more reviews and awards. I wanted to ask the experts (you guys) just to be certain which would be best.

Here are the memory modules (linked to NewEgg):

In advance, thank you for your time and help!
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need choosing models memory
  1. Best answer
    I would go with the Cas7 model for two reasons; 1) Better timings and 2) Cheaper in price.
  2. Here is another very good option, and it will save you a few more dollars with the same performance numbers. enjoy.
  3. The G.SKILL PI Series is my most recommended brand/set for the X58 motherboard. It is a good option, as well.
  4. I did notice that G.Skill received good reviews during my earlier research. I'll have to give them a second look.

Thank you!
  5. Something to consider when selecting ram is height and cooler compatibility.
    If you don't plan to add more ram in the future then high profile ram is fine.
    I would go with the Pi's.
    Otherwise these low profile kits 40mm Muskins,33mm Corsair are good.
  6. I have another lingering question about the memory and motherboard. I am looking at the Memory Standard of the MB and it states that the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 is "DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800." When I look at the memory in the links above, they are all 1600 (which is not listed on the MB). Am I better off getting the ASUS P6X58D Premium that has a Memory Standard of "DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066" and includes the 1600 that matches the memory?

Thank you all again for your answers on the memory. All were helpful.
  7. 1600Mhz will work fine in the Gigabyte board it supports up to 2200.
    They make 1800Mhz ram which is supported on both boards btw.
  8. ^+1...

Also, If you don't plan on running more than two GPU's, I would look at either the ASUS P6X58D-E or ASUS Sabertooth X58. They will provide you similar performance of the UD5 or Premium at a lower cost.
  9. You can OC the {TR3X6G1600C8D} very well and it is unbeatable in the 1600 and easily OC's + rock stable to 1800 MHz {see graphs}.

$180 CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 TR3X6G1600C8D -

$180 In-stock @ Amazon -

Comparison Module #1: Mushkin Redline 996805 6-8-6-24 1600MHz
    Comparison Module #2: G.Skill Pi Series 7-8-7-24 1600MHz
    Comparison Module #3: Mushkin 998687 8-9-8-24 1866MHz
    Comparison Module #4: Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 8-8-8-24 1600MHz
    Comparison Module #5: Kingston HyperX T1 9-9-9-27 1600MHz
    Comparison Module #6: Mushkin Blackline 998677B 7-7-7-20 1333MHz
    Comparison Module #7: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 9-9-9-27 1800MHz

10. Bisquik said:
    I'm plannig to build a new system, most likely on a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5

I would NEVER use either the UD5 or UD3R both suffer that same fate ->

ASUS Rampage III Formula
    EVGA X58 FTW3 | 132-GT-E768-KR
    ASUS P6X58D Premium

Also, above it is not all about CAS & Speed -> It's is ALL about Memory IC used with non-disparity CAS & Stability of Speed.
  11. Again, thank you all for your replies. You have been extremely helpful. Without your help I'd be in the dark about these things and finding out the hard way when I put my system together. Your graphs and links have all added to my understanding of memory and what my system can use.

I had used Asus boards for years until one was a pain in the rear (PITA?). I believe it had a nVidia chipset. I swapped it out for a Gigabyte that has worked fine and I wanted to reward that company with continued support. But I am probably going back to Asus after reading your comments and other online reviews. I'll give Asus another try. I do remember how easy it was to set up their MOBOs in the past. The Premium is about $20 more than the P6X58D-E after the Newegg price drop, rebate and free shipping are added up. I'll be pulling the trigger on that board unless I see something to dissuade me in the next 24 hours.

Now I am torn between 6 GBs of memory or 12 GBs? Will those Pi GSkills/Corsairs overheat with no RAM-fan if I have 6 2 GB sticks in my case?

Thanks again for your help!
  12. The Corsairs are the least problematic and perform extremely well. As far as a fan, unless you are pushing a 1600 rated -> 1800+ running hard for hours then the fan is not needed. The GT series comes with a fan.
  13. I went with the PI's for a change of pace. Thank you all again for your help!
  14. Best answer selected by bisquik.
  15. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking Build Product