3.0Ghz cpu running at 2.0 Ghz

G

Hello,
I have been facing a problem with my P4 cpu.I have a P4 3.0E Ghz with 1Mb L2 Cache and 800Mhz FSB with stepping 4 and revision D0.But when I checked using intel processor identification tool and cpu-z it says the cpu is working at 1.99-2.0Ghz and 532-533FSB while it should be running at 3.0/800.The motherboard is a China made motherboard ZX-945-15 with intel 915 chipset and revision B1.It has AMI bios.The board also supports667MHZ dual channel DDR2 ram.But Cpu-z is showing the channel as single.Even the ram works at Dram freq of 200mhz and FSB: DRAM of 2:3.The DDR2 ram I'm using is OCZ Platinum dual channel kit rated at 800Mhz and can be overclocked further.When booting the Bios identifies the cpu properly and 3.0ghz but when testing with the softwares it shows 3.0 ghz working at 2.0ghz.What might be the problem.Thanks

Specs
Cpu- P4 3.0E Ghz 800mb Fsb 1 mb L2 cache stepping 4 rev D0 Socket 478
Motherboard- ZX-945-15
Ram- Ocz platinum rev 2, 2Gb dual channel kit
Powersupply- Corsair Tx650

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
has your Proc. ever ran @ the advertised speed?
also check your bios settings to see if your ram timings are correct.
and also if using two different sticks of ram make sure they use the same timings.
its best to buy ram in pairs (multiple sicks of the same exact ram at the same time)

G

It did run@the advertised speeds on my intel 865GBF mobo.There are two ram sticks and they came in a dual channel kit package.How do I check the RAM timings and what do I cross reference it with?I dont think this processor has intel speedstep technology.Thanks

G

All I did was place the cpu into the socket.Everything was detected by the bios, which till date says p4 3.0 ghz when booted.Havent touched the bios or made any changes in the bios

G

The manual does say it does support 800FSB and the bios too detects it at 3 ghz.Even the properties tab under My Computer says Intel P4 CPU 3.00Ghz 2.00GhZ

Building a new computer currently is totally out of my reach.So I am trying to make do with what I have.I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me figure out why it isnt using the full cpu potential rather than rub the fact that I need to build a new computer.Are there any settings/changes I need to make in my bios.
Thanks

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Bottom line, your BIOS is probably the problem. If you aren't comfortable mucking around in the BIOS, reboot the system, and press DEL or F1 or F2 (whichever is appropriate for your motherboard). Look for a selection that indicates setting BIOS to default settings. Selecting this should put the board into a state where it will auto detect the CPU and memory and configure for an optimal state (proper CPU speed and dual channel mem config). There may also be a "high performance default settings" selection as well. You can go with that and you should do no harm as well. Be sure to save your settings when you are finished.

Be advised that some manual settings may cause you to lock the board. If that is the case, you will need to reset the board by "blocking it" via the reset pins located on the motherboard itself. That particular set of pins is usually located very near the battery that in on your motherboard (and helps retain motherboard settings in the BIOS).

Good luck.

jarpickle

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
The confirmation mail went into my spam folder and so couldn't confirm my account.Hence it says Anonymous.

What should my fsb: dram ratio be?Will update this post once I get the settings done.

Thanks

nottzbulldogg

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
same issue is driving me crazy.. i have a n68-s mobo with amd phenom ii x4 955 running at 800mhz!!
i have updated my bios but i everytime i try to increase the multiplier thing above x 4 with the voltage above 1.025 i cant boot.. it is really annoying me there are no forum post online that address this issue (sorry if i sound rude). my friend who knows a bit more than me about these things is saying its not cool and quite (btw i have set the power setting to performance) and updating the bios should have done the trick.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciately..

cheers

jarpickle

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
It is a socket 478 3.0EGhz chip, the motherboard is a China Mainboard with AMI bios.

Cpu-z says the following:

Core sped : 2000Mhz(fluctuating 2000.0-2000.2Mhz)
Clock multiplier : 15x
Bus speed : 133Mhz
Rated Fsb : 533Mhz (fluctuating 533.0-533.4Mhz)

Dram Freq : 200Mhz
Fsb: Dram : 2: 3
Cas# Latency(CL) : 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD) : 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge(tRP) : 4 clocks
Cycle Time(tRAS) : 10 clocks

I have an option to set memory by SPD(current setting), if I disable it I can set the timings manually but there isnt an option to change the Fsb: Dram ratio.Also the max freq of the Dram Freq can be changed from auto(current setting) to 400-533.

jarpickle

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Tried using Cpu-z when unraring a 200mb file.The clock speed didnt change.Cant run it with a game cause when I have to switch between the apps.What do you suggest.how do I test it.Also what should my ram timings be.