Free computer help chat room

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I am getting a message that says "NTLDR is missing Press any key to continue" and the Windows XP never boots.
I tried to run the original XP start up disk (to use the "Repair Dashboard" and got as far as having it ask me for a password. I don't think I ever created one so I left it blank, hit enter, and got caught in an endless "enter password" loop.
Any clues on continuing with this reapir?
Any suggestion on how to remove my files from the hard disk?
Before I waste more time, do you think a full reinstall might work? I've done that 3 or 4 times on this machine with no problem. And I know I might lose my files.

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Thank you. I've looked online (unsucessfully) to find downloads so I can download directly to a thumb drive. I'm borrowing a laptop and don't wont to $%^& this one too.

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks. Tried that. I couldn't find anything straightforward to attempt. Today I got to the point with my recovery CD where it matched youtube repair guides, almost. to get to a next point I was supposed to see D:\windows - But instead I saw D:\windows>

I'll keep trying. I'd like to salvage my files and not pay $125 to someone who "might" be able to.

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
No. I cannot find a website taht will enable me to copy or install Linux or Hirens directly on to a flash drive. I don't want to download to this borrowed computer and then copy. I need to put it directly to the flash and then hope I can boot from it on the broken pc.

Not possible, I'm afraid because of the need to create a bootable ISO which needs a buner and can't just be downloaded. I can assure you that it can't harm the system it's downloaded to though if that helps.

An alternative would be to withdraw your hard disk and slave it to another system using a USB converter. You could then run Checkdisk and the manufacturer's tools - Seatools for a Seagate, etc. - and run the SFC to find and fix missing files.

That cannot harm the host computer either. Other than that, you're looking at a professional fixer but I suspect you're out of my area. :D.

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I would download it if I could be sure it was a SAFE download and if I could be sure it was just being SAVED on the borrowed laptop until I could burn it.
I would prefer to get past the ""NTLDR is missing Press any key to continue" issue so I could just repair my WindowsXP. I watched a lot of youtube videos that deal with the problem but none of them help.
Thanks anyway.

I've fixed it several times but I've always got away with parachuting a copy from another system or from the C:\Windows\i386 folder into the root of C:\.

Sorry I didn't point that out earlier but you came across as a person who would have gone through the basics.

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I have tried a few basics but there is no way that I can even a c prompt.

C:\

so that I could try something like that.

The closest that I got was during an unsuccessful reapir I got a

d:\windows>

The youtubes show this to (maybe work) but all of those examples had

d:\windows without the >

You usually see the > symbol in command line. Get to that prompt again and run this syntax - exactly and including any spaces

chdir c:\windows\i386 then press Enter
at the next prompt type copy c:\windows\i386\ntldr c:\ntldr press Enter again
and one more
copy c:\windows\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ntdetect.com and press Enter again then restart the system.

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
How about this?

When I turn the laptop on, all I can get is

"NTLDR is missing Press any key to continue"

Is there anyway to get to the c prompt.

C:\

so that I could try to play with that?

OK. Run it to the point where you have to press F8 to accept the EULA - don't worry, you aren't really reinstalling. You see the second Repair option and that will find and fix any errors and it will make a fresh installation and will move your files to a folder called c:\windows.old. You can find them in the usual place - documents and settings - and cut and paste them in to the new system afterwards then delete the whole folder.

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I got to the c:\> and typed in exactly chdir c:\windows\i386
result is
The system cannot find the filr or directory specified.
Earlier I did get to a point with the repair options. It went through 3 of 5 (?) tasks and then said something to the effect that it wasn't working.
I'll keep trying.
Thanks.

sjriz

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I deleted the old partition and was able to reinstall XP. The screen looks a bit off and there is only shut down and restart. Hibernate and sleep are not appearing. More important is the inability to load the drivers. When I put the recovery driver disk in, either nothing happens or I can only get to a list of probably too many drivers for my machine.
Any suggestions?