Time to move into the present - Need build advice

impboy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I'm long overdue for an upgrade that will move me out of the prehistoric ages.
What I have:

ECS P23G v. 3.0 775 socket mobo
Core2Duo 6300 @1.86 Ghz
ATI Radeon 9800 XT AGP video card
2 gb Kingston ram
2 sata hard drives

I only play one game, Dark Age of Camelot, and would like to be able to play others games in the future without having to upgrade too much. I bought a Gigabyte 775 socket mobo - GA-P35-DS3L - about a year ago with plans to at least move up to a PCI video card but never got around to it so it's not installed.

So what I need are some suggestions on what to upgrade to based on the fact that I only have about $300ish to spend now. If I sold the other dinosaur parts, then I'd have about $320. :pt1cable: You get the idea.

Do I just get some memory and a new PCI vid card for the Gigabyte board?
Sell both mobo's, vid card, and memory and get something else?

Feel free to point, laugh, and make fun at what I have now. Then give me some good advice on a new system.
THANKS! :)

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
As for the pointing and laughing part ... Good luck using or selling ... haw-haw-haw.

There, the obligitory mocking is now complete . . .

I want to tell you something and I want you to hear it but you won't believe it until you see the builds for yourself. . . . listening?

$$ 478.24 can buy a SCREAMING HOT game rig, if the right (very experienced) AMD build expert comes along ... My favored experts for your type build are what I call our "value experts" who seem to have an uncanny ability to build no-compromise systems for under $500 ... you WILL be very surprised at what you can get.

Your SATA hard drives are likely salvagable ... kb, mouse, speakers, for sure ...
Tell us the make/model/max-rez/max-refresh of your monitor ... gonna keep it?

We really need a bit clearer idea of what parts can be re-used (realistically).

gkay? fang?

= Al =

If you ultra tight for $$ and strictly looking for a sub $300ish country upgrade we have
fgaw.jpg

Good to go for most modern games up to 1680 x 1050 resolution

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
... and, batcat ... IN da house !

Like THAT!

And ... Of COURSE the old ATX case can be reused !

We are going to want to see the ratings on the old PSU .. Do you think the power connector will be compatible?

Type of any power connectors on the NEW gpu card to match OLD PSU ??

Any "reduced cost" NEW PSUs that would be future happy ??

= Hmmmm =

impboy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
You want more details? I'll give you more details!

Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Diagonal Size: 22 in - Widescreen
Max Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Power source - Thermaltake Purepower 500NP
ATX PC Power Supply
Output: 500W +3.3V 22A +5V 32A +12V 14A -12V

This case from CoolerMaster
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Mouse - Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

HD's - http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=20b92d0ca8dce110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD
and
Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB

Does that help? Thanks again for any and all advice! :bounce:

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
The case and the drive look perfect ... I have also been considering that case ... at newegg, full towers start at $80+ and $129 is typical ... seems pretty steep, for a bare enclosure. I haven't even chkd Tiger to see if that is the "goin' rate" but I might get into the business, if it is (wink).

GOOD CASE
GOOD DRIVE
... Need a good "cost reduced" quality PSU, if anybody has a suggestion (factual), that would be welcome, right about now.

= Al =