T:DS with a 64 meg video card?

Has anyone played this yet on a 64 meg video card? How good is it?
I plan on picking one up today, because my new 2.8 Gig computer only
has a 4x AGP slot. My other option would be to buy a new MB, reformat
the HD, and then get a decent video card.
I know I would have to turn off some of the extra lighting and other
options. I have the demo downloaded and may rent the game first. I think
I can rent it for $7 for 3 days or $12 for 7 days.
Albert

"Albert R. Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message news:<40F556AB.79361307@satx.rr.com>...
> Has anyone played this yet on a 64 meg video card? How good is it?

I haven't but it shouldn't be too bad.

> I plan on picking one up today, because my new 2.8 Gig computer only
> has a 4x AGP slot.

And you believe 4x AGP slots are limited to 64MB cards for some
reason?

They're not. Actually, having more memory ought to reduce overall bus
bandwidth requirements (less texture reloads)

I run a 256MB ATI 9600XT on AGP 4x on my very old motherboard
(KT7A-RAID, released around 2001). Works decently enough.

"Albert R. Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message news:<40F556AB.79361307@satx.rr.com>...
> Has anyone played this yet on a 64 meg video card? How good is it?

I haven't but it shouldn't be too bad.

> I plan on picking one up today, because my new 2.8 Gig computer only
> has a 4x AGP slot.

And you believe 4x AGP slots are limited to 64MB cards for some
reason?

They're not. Actually, having more memory ought to reduce overall bus
bandwidth requirements (less texture reloads)

I run a 256MB ATI 9600XT on AGP 4x on my very old motherboard
(KT7A-RAID, released around 2001). Works decently enough.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Albert R. Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone played this yet on a 64 meg video card? How good is it?
> I plan on picking one up today, because my new 2.8 Gig computer only
> has a 4x AGP slot. My other option would be to buy a new MB, reformat
> the HD, and then get a decent video card.
> I know I would have to turn off some of the extra lighting and other
> options. I have the demo downloaded and may rent the game first. I think
> I can rent it for $7 for 3 days or $12 for 7 days.
> Albert

You silly boy - you can run an 8x AGP card in a 4x slot.
Anyway I've played TDS thru on a Geforce4 ti 4200 64mb
at 800x600 with low detail lighting/shadows but full textures
and it was fluid on a XP2400 and 512mb RAM. I just bought
a 2nd hand 9700 and it now runs at 1024x768 full detail.
Truth is tho - this games' rough and blocky look doesnt really
benefit from running at high res.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

I just bought
> a 2nd hand 9700 and it now runs at 1024x768 full detail.
> Truth is tho - this games' rough and blocky look doesnt really
> benefit from running at high res.

Agreed. I've run it at 1280x1024 full details and it's indistinguishable
from 1024x768.

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> writes:

> Agreed. I've run it at 1280x1024 full details and it's indistinguishable
> from 1024x768.

You can tell the difference, but you have to work harder at it, and
turn off anti-aliasing. Since there's normally not a lot of contrast
and you're in the shadows a lot, the resolution isn't so important.
Even 800x600 looks pretty good.

--
Darin Johnson
Where am I? In the village... What do you want? Information...

Sleepy wrote:

> You silly boy - you can run an 8x AGP card in a 4x slot.
> Anyway I've played TDS thru on a Geforce4 ti 4200 64mb
> at 800x600 with low detail lighting/shadows but full textures
> and it was fluid on a XP2400 and 512mb RAM. I just bought
> a 2nd hand 9700 and it now runs at 1024x768 full detail.
> Truth is tho - this games' rough and blocky look doesnt really
> benefit from running at high res.

What? I could of bought an ATI 8X AGP card and run it just fine in a 4X
slot? I took the manual to a computer store that builds and repairs computers
and rents games and he said I couldn't.
Albert