Hyper 212+ and i7 3770k overclock questions

imanwnms

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I bought and installed the cooler master hyper 212+ just now as a replacement for the stock cooler and I have a few questions.
As anyone normally would, I started at a low 3.7ghz with temperatures rising up to 35c without any load except clickbios msi running. I then tried 3.9 and saw a two degrees increase with the same stuff running.
Right now, I have it increased it to 4.2ghz and temperatures are occasionally hitting 40/43c.
This is all without much loas at all and I wanted to know if this temperatures are normal or should I be lowering the clock speed a bit, or is there room for more?
Thanks for any answers.
Iman

imanwnms

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I bought the plus on sale with taxes for 17$. The cheapest I can find right now for the evo is 38$. I don\t know if worth more than double the price.
But is the temperatures consistent with what I am supposed to be getting?

Adroid

Distinguished
For a point of reference at 4.3GHZ with CM 212 EVO I get around 35-low 40s for idle temps in windows 8..

What motherboard are you running, and does your computer case have adequate airflow for overclocking? I would not recommend pushing very hard on a prebuilt system.

I wouldn't base on overclock on your idle speed - your load temps are far more important.

Using overclocking software is a really bad idea - they notoriously send more voltage than necessary to your CPU. Voltage = Heat.

To check if your overclock is stable you should run a stress test program like Prime95. You will also potentially damage your computer running that program, so I recommend you do a little more research and read guides before you go much further.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

oh its worth it. i had to many troubles with the 212 plus. evo has been great fro the price....but i think im upgrading!

imanwnms

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Built my PC myself. I am using the MSI Z77 G43 mother board. I have four fans on my case - back, front of drive bay, door, top. Its a Zalman Z9 plus. I played GTA 4 for a couple hours and I reached 48C on it at 4.2GHZ. Is that a normal temperature for something like that game? Using Gigabyte Radeon 7950 OC if that matters..

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Thas not a bad temp. have you ran any stress tests? prime95....you need to push it to its limits, to make sure its stable. a game is not going to push it far enough for a test. it may seem stable, but a test would put it to rest.

imanwnms

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I lowered the clock speed to 4Ghz because I am not really comfortable for idle temperature to be 35/38ish C. I ran prime95 and my temperature at this clock speed is 54-58C. Rarely hit 60 on any cores. What is the safe temperature for the CPU to hit before I stop overclocking and is there any more room for increasing the clock speed. This is an expensive processor and if I am overclocking, I would not want to burn it out or damage it at all.

imanwnms

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
So I increased the clock speed to 4.2ghz back again because I wanted to see what the temperatures would be like under load and it happens to be in the same range as the 4.0ghz at 58-60C. Maximum 62C.

Are these fine temperatures or should I lower it back down? Realistically, I will probably won't ever end up using 100% of my cpu for daily use, so if I chose to go up a bit to around 4.3/4.4, would that cause a problem?

Thanks for all your input,
Iman

Adroid

Distinguished

58-60C is on the low side of normal on an ivy bridge chip for a 4.2 GHZ OC. I would say your are doing really good and 4.3-4.4 GHZ may be easy to reach with the chip you have.

Keep an eye of voltages, temperatures, and stability - as always.

Adroid

Distinguished

If I had your chip I would go straight to 4.4GHZ and see if your temps can stay under 75 ish during stress tests. If temps are too hot, you might need to settle for 4.3 GHZ, like I did ;)

Good luck!

imanwnms

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I tried directly to 4.4 without changing the voltage and it crashed immediately when I started up prime95. So I dropped it down to 4.3 and am currently running the stress test and the temperatures stay in the 59-64 range.
I might change the volt a little bit if i can achieve 4.4 or even 4.5 with luck.