Need help building HTPC

java24

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hello, my boyfriend is building an HTPC, I would really like to help him with this project-however, I know nothing about this stuff or even where to begin. I would like to sound real smart and help out...any advice? Thanks

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well, before you even talk to us ... READ ALL ... the top 5 "sticky" threads, right at the top of the screen of this "NEW BUILD FORUM" ... they are not very long ...

If you get stuck on something you do not have a clue about, then look it up (search) the WIKIPEDIA online encyclopedia (google search "wikipedia") ... The wiki has very friendly and concise descriptions of ALL computer related terminology.

You really MUST have a base vocabulary.

Secondly ... spend about an hour a day "LURKING" right here on Tom's New Build Forum !!! Any thread subject line that piques your interest ... just go in there and eves-drop and, maybe butt-in with a question, every once in a while ...

... TIP: Since you are a female type (just guessing, you could be gay or tranny) then get yourself a really sexy AVITAR (like my astronaut photo) ... 80x80 pixels is the limit so use paint to resize your favorite BABE photo (Maralyn Monroe?) and upload it in your user account profile section.

Good luck ... make em swoon!

= ALVIN = (flex-flex)

Ahhh.... I think it's best to keep comments strictly related to helping out this person instead of figuring out the person's sexual orientation and what avatar to use.

Anywaste... It's always good to know what the budget is and generally what your expectations from a HTPC are. Such as:

1. Any gaming involved? ...................................................... Affects choice of video card
2. Expectations to encode DVDs or Blu-Rays? ...................... Affects choice of CPU
3. Need to be no larger than a certain size? ........................ Affects case choice, size of certain components and ultimately expandability
4. How quiet is quiet? Silent? ............................................... This is subjective since it deals with acceptable noise levels. The quieter you want something to the more money you need to spend in general. Performance is also affected since more powerful components needs fans. Fans make noise, the higher the RPM, the greater the noise.
5. Storage capacity and data recovery? ............................... How much media do you expect the HTPC to contain? Have you considered how to backup your data in case of hard drive failure?

shubham1401

Distinguished

LoL :lol:

@OP:

Just follow what jaguarskx asked.