Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New i7 cpu cooler suggestions

Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2010 1:44:41 AM

Hello, I recently put together an i7 930 1366 system and I went from the stock cooler to an h50 which I am having bad luck with, I have tried everything to fix it but I gave up and dont want to risk it happening again so I am going to be getting my 80$ back from the h50 corsair cooler and I want to get a high performance cooler that will keep my motherboard , cpu, ram cool, this gigabye ga-x58a-ud3r board gets really hot, the north bridge right now is idle at 64 and thats mostly because the h50 doesnt blow air on the chipset like the stock intel cooler does so I need a cooler that will be able to keep the motherboard cool as well, I was looking at the coolermaster v10 which looks really nice but expensive.. I would like to try to keep it under 100$ mabey around 80 ish and not too hard to install because I have had bad luck in the past installing cpu coolers.

Anyway I plan to overclock this system and I live in a very warm room, it gets hot here in utah so with summer coming I need to prepare this system for the heat.

oh and I have a thermaltake supranors case with 4 120mm fans, one intake in the front, 2 intake on the side door and 1 exhaust out the back.

All my system specs are in my signature.

Any advice would be great! thanks

More about : cpu cooler suggestions

May 18, 2010 1:51:58 AM

vexun11 said:
Hello, I recently put together an i7 930 1366 system and I went from the stock cooler to an h50 which I am having bad luck with, I have tried everything to fix it but I gave up and dont want to risk it happening again so I am going to be getting my 80$ back from the h50 corsair cooler and I want to get a high performance cooler that will keep my motherboard , cpu, ram cool, this gigabye ga-x58a-ud3r board gets really hot, the north bridge right now is idle at 64 and thats mostly because the h50 doesnt blow air on the chipset like the stock intel cooler does so I need a cooler that will be able to keep the motherboard cool as well, I was looking at the coolermaster v10 which looks really nice but expensive.. I would like to try to keep it under 100$ mabey around 80 ish and not too hard to install because I have had bad luck in the past installing cpu coolers.

Anyway I plan to overclock this system and I live in a very warm room, it gets hot here in utah so with summer coming I need to prepare this system for the heat.

oh and I have a thermaltake supranors case with 4 120mm fans, one intake in the front, 2 intake on the side door and 1 exhaust out the back.

All my system specs are in my signature.

Any advice would be great! thanks

Friend,

I've been using TRUE 120 extreme and it's been outstanding for my CPU. What you do you add two fans(one included with heatsink) so you have perfect in/out flow. Perfect for overclocking or just letting your cpu keep COOLED. Just add good compound and you are set up.

Other than that I heard v8 is good/nice looking - if you care... but my pick would be TRUE and if you could get the special edition "FULL COPPER" and still under 100 bucks.... good luck :) 

ps.what was really bad with H50?
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2010 9:28:54 AM

I wonder if that noctua nh d14 would fit in my thermaltake supranors mid tower case, is is roomy but I wanna make sure it will fit before I order it.

Do you thik that noctua will out perform that h50 corsair cooler?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 10:01:03 AM

The NH-D14 performs better than the H50.
Anyway, I can't tell you for sure that it will fit in your midtower. It's important to avoid modules with tall heatspreaders. The cooler offers sufficient clearance for all standard size memory modules, but you won’t be able to use memory modules higher than 44mm. Anyway, you can always change the position of the 120mm fan.
At least, you won't have problems with tour mobo: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&pr...
m
l
May 18, 2010 11:40:10 AM

i got the domino liquid cooler and its just so good, installation is easy even easier than a fan and its sealed doesnt need anything just plug and go and after 3 years throw it and buy new one. I overlcoked my 2.66ghz to 3.5ghz and the fan is on the lowest speed.
m
l
May 19, 2010 6:54:05 AM

MY memory is actually pretty tall, its got those huge fins, g skill memory, should I not get that nh-d14 then?

also I haven't heard of that other cpu water cooler, thats interesting. I for sure want something that will last more then 2 or 3 years though.
m
l
May 19, 2010 8:30:36 AM

The nd-d14 wont fit over my ram, I wish I had gotten smaller ram now, Anyways I was about to order a megahalem but I didnt know what fans to get, I cant have too much noise, I would like a heatsink that comes with its own fan that is decent, I want to try to keep this as simple as possible. I am not sure what to do here there is way too much to decide on, I would pick up that hyper 1221 or whatever it is but its sold out on newegg, I just want something decent.
m
l
May 19, 2010 9:30:05 AM

ok awesome, should I get Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler with some of those scyth fans?
m
l
May 19, 2010 9:36:40 AM

those scythe fans you posted in the link are sold out in newegg which is where I usually shop but they do have a bunch of other scythe fans
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

can you help me make a cart of what heatsink and fans you would get for best performance? around 50-80$ but it has to fit my motherboard which has tall memory modules.

I prefer something easier to install, I dont mind taking the motherboard tray out as long as its not risky and hard to install and is well known for blocking things such as side panels and memory and other connectors.

this site looks interesting.

http://www.quietpcusa.com/

I have 4 apevia 120mm fans and they arent loud but I am able to hear them spin, they make more noise then my vga cooler when its at 40%, its not an irritating sound but you can for sure hear them, Should I get a heatsink thats a bit on the cheaper side so I will be able to spend some extra money on scythe fans for my case? I guess if I am going to be able to make my system silent I would be willing to spend 80-100$ I might as well because I went all out with every other peice of hardware in this system for the most part.
m
l
May 19, 2010 9:46:21 AM

That's cool, I would really like a cpu cooler that would let me keep it at low volume when I am not doing much but keeping it at decent temps. but when I really want to put a load on the system I wouldn't mind some noise just as long as it's too much
m
l
May 19, 2010 10:27:06 AM

Does that cpu cooler come with fan clips??

I need to find some fans that I can hook up to 3 fin connectors on my motherboard so I can set up the bios to change the fan speed according to temp, I really have to order this asap I gotta go to bed and work early, I just want to make sure I order the right fans for that, I need to order from newegg and they only have thse scythe fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

the one that is 10.99 is sold out

I just wanna make sure its quiet and around 10-12$ if possible, I see some great deals and fans that I would order but im not sure you would approve of them in terms of silence and performance.
m
l
May 19, 2010 10:39:04 AM

crap they are sold out on newegg lol
m
l
May 19, 2010 10:41:08 AM

I have this fan right here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(except mine doesnt have the 3 pin connector, just 4 pin molex)

and 3 120mm apevia fans, should i just order the cpu cooler and try using the fans I have now and order some of those scythe fans when they come in stock?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 10:41:13 AM

Yes, but if I am not wrong, they will be available very soon: 05/24/2010
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 10:53:38 AM

Yes, there is no problem. 77.85 CFM is more than enough to keep cool your cpu. The Megahalems is a beast.
May 19, 2010 10:58:58 AM

Best answer selected by vexun11.
m
l
May 19, 2010 11:00:26 AM

Hey thanks a ton, I will for sure check out some of those scythe fans in a couple weeks, I am curious to see how this will cool if I were to use 2 120mm apevia fans, they arent the best fans but I am sure it would be interesting to see how they work.

Also is that cooler meant to work as a passive cooler as well? I have heard there are some cpu coolers that are passive, I know the temps arent the best but I am curious to see if it could hold this i7 up at default clock speeds.

Also when using 2 fans with that cooler, do you set it up as a push pull exhausting heat near the back of the case? Do you know if it would cool down my NB at all? Does the air spread out all over or just 1 area or what

Thanks again, I just placed the order, should be here on friday.
m
l
May 19, 2010 11:07:58 AM

yes, ive sen a review where they used the megahalem as a passive cooler, and it performs just like stock HSF - temperature wise, except at 0 noise - provided your case has good circulation, I wouldnt recommend this however, even a very slow rpm fan would make huge difference.

also IMPORTANT note, get yourself a tube of Arctic Silver 5 or OCZ Freeze and these are the best thermal paste around and will definitely help lowering temps by a few degrees.
m
l
May 19, 2010 11:22:11 AM

Henry Chinaski said:
The Scythe D1225C12B5AP-15 Gentle Typhoon 120 mm Fan (by Nidec Servo Corp) is a very good choice (ETA:05/24/2010). It's the King of CFM per Noise Level/Quality.

Take note, as this is a common mistaken often overlooked, airflow numbers posted for the Gentle Typhoon is actually in m³/h, not CFM:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/051/d1225c12b1ap_...

D1225C12B5AP-15
1,850 rpm
28 dBA
98 m³/h

using airflow calculator: http://www.comairrotron.com/airflow_calc.shtml
98m³/h= 57.68CFM

so... 57CFM @ 28dBA @ 1850rpm = not bad, but not great

I still recommend the Slip Streams as they output 68CFM @ 24dBA @ 1200rpm, however, I will agree with Henry that Silverstone FM123 is a VERY good fan
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2010 11:58:32 AM

arterius2 said:
Take note, as this is a common mistaken often overlooked, airflow numbers posted for the Gentle Typhoon is actually in m³/h, not CFM:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/051/d1225c12b1ap_...

D1225C12B5AP-15
1,850 rpm
28 dBA
98 m³/h

using airflow calculator: http://www.comairrotron.com/airflow_calc.shtml
98m³/h= 57.68CFM

so... 57CFM @ 28dBA @ 1850rpm = not bad, but not great

I still recommend the Slip Streams as they output 68CFM @ 24dBA @ 1200rpm, however, I will agree with Henry that Silverstone FM123 is a VERY good fan

I'm not wrong. As you can read, I have been spoken about the ratio CFM per Noise Level/Quality, which as you can see in this link is the best.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=34&a...

"If I had to pick just one fan for my needs. I want something very quiet, but something that also has a decent amount of performance. While being a bit on the ugly side, the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 gets my top pick for producing the most CFM per noise level and quality of the fans tested."

"King of CFM per Noise Level/Quality = Gentle Typhoon AP-15"
m
l
May 19, 2010 1:45:28 PM

Okay good to know, this summer I imagine this cpu is going to get pretty warm, to get this heatsink working at its best, where it beats out a lot of other coolers, would those typhoon fans be able to do that ? or would I need something more power, say if I wanted to run it at 4.0+ ghz 24/7
m
l
May 19, 2010 1:51:46 PM

i dont know about you but im running my X6 1090T @ 4.3ghz 24/7, and i'm here at the tropics, megahalems + silverstone raven 2 gets my cpu @ 22C idle and 55C load. you should be fine.
m
l
May 19, 2010 5:38:52 PM

oh wow you have one of those new 1090T's? how is it running I came so close to buying one.
m
l
May 19, 2010 5:55:58 PM

vexun11 said:
oh wow you have one of those new 1090T's? how is it running I came so close to buying one.

i absolutely love it, it overclocks like a beast, yet runs nice and cool, couldnt have asked for a better processor for this price.
m
l
May 20, 2010 8:33:07 AM

Awesome man! I wanted to get one of those but I mostly do single threaded apps and wasn't sure how they would run with games.
m
l
May 20, 2010 8:53:01 AM

lol, 1090T @ 4.2+ghz is going to be the last thing you need to worry about with games.
personally, I'd be more worried about things like... for example, how to keep my jealous friends's finger prints off my nice acrylic glass everytime he comes over... or whats the best cleaning solution available to polish that acrylic glass to its full shine so my jealous friends can come over and put finger prints all over it. [/rinse and repeat]

PS. one more thing to take note of is that Windows 7 automatically balances CPU load across all processors even if your applications are single threaded, (while not utilizing the full CPU power), this means that if your application normally only thread 1 CPU, you are going to see all ur CPU's are at around 15-20% load, if you run more applications like this at the sametime, more CPU load you will experience. so more cores in this case is a very good thing, means that normally if you run 3-4 single threaded application that would put your CPU to a halt, with the X6 can run those in the background will still being very snappy and you multi-task with other things.
m
l
May 20, 2010 11:12:22 PM

That's awesome, I was tempted to get one but I am pretty stoked on the tripple channel memory and hyperthreading both are awesome chips
m
l
May 20, 2010 11:14:47 PM

Hey do you know of any case lighting that doesn't look too flashy but you can see everything inside of the case? I don't like really flashy lighting, all I really like is dark red, dark blue and black / white lighting, do you know anywhere I can get something like that? preferably with an on and off switch.
m
l
May 21, 2010 10:38:58 PM

Okay, I just installed the Megahalems and my idle temp is 52 and im in prime 95 after a couple minutes im at 62C, I have the window open, room temp isn't all that hot. I am very upset. There is a lot of air blowing out my rear exhaust fan, I have a 4pin corsair fan blowing in the heatsink and the exhaust fan is about 4 inches away from the heatsink so it should be good enough, This is around the same as the h50, no difference really..... I put on a perfect layer of the thermal paste that came with the cpu, I know if I used a really good brand the temp would go down but I doubt it would make the temps go down enough to make it the way it should be, I applied a thin layer to the cpu, not too much not too little, I am running everything stock in the bios with no hyperthreading on. The chipset is running at the same temps before as the h50 was running................ It doesnt overheat in prime 95 at all, I just think i should have a cooler idle temp! I purchased this cpu cooler because summer is coming up and I don't want to heat my room up even more.

I am upset! Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2010 11:08:00 PM

Set the fan which has the highest CFM blowing in the heatsink.
The Corsair fan can run at 1700rpm. Be sure that this is the true speed (you can control the rpm of your fans using the "speedfan"). If you want to decrease the cpu temp you should have the fan running at its maximun performance.
m
l
May 22, 2010 2:02:17 AM

I have tried all 3 fans,I have the most powerful blowing in, right now I am just using 3 apevia 120mm fans right now, Idle temp is 51-52C at stock clock speeds, and at 3.8ghz , why would it not make a difference in temp if it is overclocked or not? The only difference is in prime 95 which is like a 4º difference. Do you think I have a defective motherboard?

one of the main things I would like to know is am I safe with idle temps in the low 50's? Even if my load temps dont go above 65? would it be better to stay idle at 50C then to idle at 35C and peak at 80?

Thanks for your response, I need feedback

(has THG been running slow for you tonight? It takes forever to load a page)

Ok this is weird, I just put my i7 930 to stock clock speeds, 21x 133 2.8ghz, no hyperthreading, turboboost on, voltage 1.0 and idle is still the same but when I have prime 95 running the temp hasnt broken 58 yet even after 30 minutes, it seems like the only thing I can change with my temps is the load temps. The fans are not spinning any faster then when it is idle, so basicly it only goes up like 7C when running prime 95 and goes up 1-2C when running crysis and other games. How come the temp is so stable at such temps? Not stable in a good way that is, I don't want to degrade the life of my cpu by letting it idle at 50C
m
l
May 22, 2010 3:16:48 AM

I am using 2 of these

and with speedfan I have tried using it with this build and my old one and I was never ever ever able to alter the fan speed, I will try to reinstall it but I only have 1 fan that has a 3 pin connector, the rest of my fans are 4 pin molex. I do have 2 of those scyth 120MM thin fans you suggested I get coming in the mail tomorrow or monday. I am really satisfied with load temps with this cooler, it hasnt gone above 57C at clock speeds and its been almost an hour, but idle temps are 49-52C no matter how overclocked or underclocked it is, or voltage changed or dram changed. It seriously cant be the heatsink, that h50 I had was just the same as this, high idle lower loads, just not as low as this heatsink.
m
l
May 22, 2010 3:24:29 AM

I just touched the actual heatpipes and they felt warm while having prime 95 open at 54C are my sensors way off? I know that my northbridge is really warm because if I hold my finger over it for longer then 3 seconds it burns.

Is there a way I can fix my temp sensor if it really is off?

_________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour later

Now I am at 70C with prime 95 running with my system overclocked to 3.2ghz with hyperthreading on.. lol
m
l
May 22, 2010 4:17:41 AM

Now I am at 70C with prime 95 running with my system overclocked to 3.2ghz with hyperthreading on.. lol

1 hour later

I changed the voltages from 1.2 to 1.0, overclocked to 3.2ghz with hyperthreading off, Idle temperature 46-47C Full load in prime 95 55C

WTH?
m
l
!